“Good night sleep near Queen Mary”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed one night for business travel in the Long Beach and after booking through Hotwire.com I was not disappointed. The room was very comfortable. The decor appears to have been updated in the last few years with a very modern/natural feel in most of the common areas. The room had a LCD TV, Keurig coffee maker, mini-bar, desk, and a patio/balcony area with two chairs to sit in the morning/evening. Parking is additional $15 which appears typical of the area based on past stays in the LA area.

Within the immediate area is the Queen Mary and submarine as well as a restaurant that I don't recall the name of. I went for a short jog along the shoreline in the evening and the area appeared relatively safe. There is both a cardio fitness room and a weight room in one of the buildings. Both were adequate for my needs of some additional cardio and light weights.

The only negative I have about this hotel was currently there is a fair amount of road construction that made finding the place the first time there a bit difficult.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel

Reviewed 9 March 2011

My mother, sister and I stayed here the night before we left for our cruise. The staff was very nice and helpful and the lobby and bar/restaurant were very quiet. We were here Super Bowl Sunday. This may have been why it was so quiet. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. They also have a free shuttle to take you to the Carnival cruise terminal. I don't suggest eating breakfast at the hotel. We had a very minimal breakfast and our bill was 65.00 for three people. Two of us has pancakes with four pieces of bacon and the other had eggs bacon and toast. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank christianna258
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I love this property location and facilities. I , along with my daughter and her family stayed on a Friday and Saturday night. We came for relaxation. The way the rooms are built,,, outside entrance with a courtyard that goes from the first floor to the fouth floor makes it very noisy. You can hear all the partiers on every floor of your building ,, coming and going. In addition, my room was right next to the one suite, the Azteca. It was rented by 20-30 year olds for a party. They paritied with loud music. I called desk at 11:30 and they said they would "check it out." The music stopped a bit later. But the partying didn't . Around 1:30 they were jumping off the patio,, or something that sounded like that. If you want to party ,, great place. If you want to get some sleep and get up early to enjoy the beauty of the bay and lcation,,, don't stay here on the weekend. I was so disappointed because it used to be part of the Joie de Vivre Hotels and love their properties.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2011

Sorry to hear about the noise. We are in the process of carpeting all of the guest corridors to sound proof the hallways a bit more. Our security team tries to quiet our guests but every now and then we miss one. Building 1 and building 3 tend to be the quieter buildings due to location. We have a no party policy in our guest rooms and since we have so many fire pits and outdoor seating areas around the property, there are many places people can and do gather however it does not sound like this was the case. You will have to come back and tell us how the new carpeting works once it is complete. I think you will find it a much quieter experience!

Reviewed 28 February 2011

When I first discovered this hotel online I knew from the pictures I had to experience it one day. I finally got that chance when a friend had nothing to do for her birthday, we are from the SoCal area so I suggested we take a "staycation". Obviously, I knew exactly where I wanted to take her!

We had a great experience from the start...they have a convenient 10 minute parking area just outside the entrance. Checking in took less than 10 minutes. The Double Tree hotels of Hilton offer free, freshly baked cookies upon check-in. They had just ran out; however they offered to deliver a couple to the room. We were going to explore the hotel anyways so we just came back. WELL WORTH IT! DELICIOUS! Couldn't have just one. They were kind enough to share this indulgence throughout our stay! The hotel itself and the grounds are very pretty. Very well maintained and well thought out. Great places around the hotel to take pictures. During the summer, this HAS TO BE a "hot spot" for young people...I'm sure of it. If it's not it would be.

We stayed in building 3 on the 5th floor. Parking was close, so not at all a struggle. The elevator is kind of small but perfect for two people and a weekend luggage bag each. Upon entrance of the room the color scheme takes you away. Blues, oranges, yellows...very bright yet not overpowering. Very well put together. We didn't have an ocean view but from the corner of the balcony you could partially see it. We ordered in room service for breakfast and ate on the balcony. The chairs are steel and quite deep, but if you add the decorative pillows that accent the beds it's the perfect outdoor seating area for two! The in-room service staff was great from order to delivery. There are small attention to detail things about the room that could be fixed but not worth complaining about.

The first night we ate at the hotel's restaurant Fuego. We had appetizers and drinks. Unlimited chips and salsa/chile are served. The chile was GREAT! There is a Ceviche Sampler that was AWESOME too! Drinks were also great...Kudos to the bartender. We asked for a window seat because the view at night is very nice, but really you could sit anywhere and have a great view because the walls are actually floor to ceiling patio doors that are opened during warmer weather. It was too cold during our stay to have them open. Even though we were seated in a timely fashion and the food & drinks were good, we were initially neglected. It was about 15 minutes before anyone asked us if we'd been helped or even brought us water; however, it was noticed and our first round of drinks were on the house...that definitely made up for it! After dinner we had plans to attend the local comedy club. We were unaware of the free shuttle service so we took a taxi (that the hotel kindly called for us upon request) there and back. Total...approximately $14. Still not bad.

The next day we drove to the pier which is only a few miles away. Better to use the shuttle service due to parking lot/garage fees near the pier. There are many chain restaurants in that area and a couple unknowns. We attempted to have dinner on The Queen Mary but the Scottish Festival was taking place that weekend so reservations were required. Online, reservations are recommended but due to the festival plans had to change. That evening we ended up eating at The Reef. Not as pricey as it looks, but can be. All in all Fuego was my favorite!

Upon further exploration of the hotel grounds we found the pool area. AWESOME pool area! Very chic and trendy! Can't wait to go back. About to book this hotel for another stay as we speak! This time for a more romantic getaway! It's going to be PERFECT!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank HotelChicCritic

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned Fuego and the Maya in warm weather can't be beat. We open the pool bar, get some great music out there at the pool and on Fuego's deck and enjoy the beautiful view. We can't wait to welcome you back! For a quieter stay, request building 1 or 3. 4 is next to the pool and 2 is next to the restaurant...both livelier venues. See you soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights and it was really really nice!!!! We got a very good price with expedia.fr.
We were in the building n° 2, our room was at the last floor, a very good surprise because when we first booked this trip we were supposed to stay in the ground floor...
The room was really comfy, big, high ceiling, very nice bathroom honestly the room was sweet. We had fresh cookies when we checked in....
Outside, there were fire lights, very comfy couch, an amazing view of Downtown Long Beach and on the Queen Mary boat!! There was also a hot swimming pool and a jacuzzi very nice during the winter time.
The team was really helpful and nice!
There's a system of shuttle which drive you till Long Beach center and then you can take another bus or the métro for Downtown LA or for LAX!!!!
For sure I'll be back in this hotel

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Great to hear you liked it. Come back soon!

Reviewed 22 February 2011

I did back to stays at this property in February 2011. It is now a Doubletree property and it is amazing. As a Hilton Diamond member I generally do not stay at the Doubletree a whole lot, but this property has risen to the top of the list of great stays.

Both times I have had balcony rooms with a view of the bay. Two chairs and a small table to sit and relax outside. I was on the 5th floor for both stays in building #1. It is easy and accessible to the parking lot and main lobby.

My room was spacious and well appointed, the bathroom though small was very functional, the large sink was very cool. Flat screen TV's and iPod/iPhone docking station with a radio and alarm worked very well. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were outstanding! I guess am I getting to be a pillow snob, but the Maya's pillow are oh so wonderful.

I only ate breakfast in the hotel, but the staff was very attentive and the menu selection was good. All the meals were very tasty including the french toast with fruit and syrup! The grounds of the hotel were well maintained and landscaped. There is a nice path to walk along along right next to the bay. I ran across the bridge one morning and had a great run along the waterfront. It is very safe and quiet at the Hotel and it is right next door to the Queen Mary.

General Manager Kristi Allen and the entire staff get a shout out. Keep up the good work gang!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelingMan5989
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2011

Thank you for your very kind words...our guests are the reason we are here and we love to hear their feedback.

Kristi Allen

Reviewed 13 February 2011

There weren't many reviews to read when we made plans to stay at Hotel Maya but the pictures looked great and it was near where we needed to be for one night. However, this place is more like a motel compound where you walk to a separate small building to get to your room. Our room had two smaller beds (ack!) and was backed up to another room so we had to keep our drapes closed while we were there. A call to the front desk to inquire if there was another room was made, but apparently they were "sold out"?

The restaurant has a great water view and good service but we didn't like our food and there was no energy (maybe they could play some music?). The worst part was that this hotel is in an isolated location that is hard to find, so you can't walk anywhere from it.

It is clean and has a recently-remodeled, tasteful "bohemian chic" decor, and it will appeal to many, many people - but I guess I prefer more of a traditional hotel. I'm surprised to hear people say that this is an "upscale" hotel and wonder if they have ever stayed at an upscale hotel before. It is a nice 3 1/2 star hotel though!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2011

Thank you for your comments. We were ranked number 2 on trip advisor and had many great reviews up until recently when we rebranded a Doubletree by Hilton in November. Trip advisor wipes clean and re-starts the reviews during a change of ownership so we have started fresh. I apologize that it wasnt a traditional hotel as you had expected. The Hotel Maya is a small waterfront resort boutique style hotel on 14 acres in an area of Long Beach called the South Waterfront. We are just across the bridge from downtown and next to the Queen Mary. With the complimentary passport bus stopping at our hotel, most find us an easy 5 minute ride from everything. When this hotel was renovated in 2009 we won a very big design award for our renovation. We are defintely more stylish and sexy than most traditonal hotels but it is not for everyone. I will pass along your restaurant comments about Fuego to the food and beverage team and make sure we address your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay with us.