“Comfortable stay. Great Location. Convenient.”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Comfortable stay. Great Location. Convenient.”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Recently stayed at the Hotel Maya, needed a place close to relatives nearby. Great location, helpful staff, comfortable beds. Family prices with boutique hotel touches.There are beautiful paths in front of the hotel, around the bay, that you can walk, bike or jog on. Even though it rained intensely a few days during our stay, when the sun came out we rode our bikes and had a great time. We ate breakfast at Fuego, the in house restaurant, it was excellent! We look forward to going back in the Summer to enjoy the beautiful pool with spectacular views of the bay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. You will love coming back in the summer months and enjoying all we have to offer from the beautiful pool to the bike rentals, tennis, basketball and sand volleyball courts in warm weather without the rain. We really have something for everyone in the family to enjoy. Hope to see you again soon!

Kristi Allen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Korean first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Where to begin...I booked this hotel as a Hilton Honors Member on the advance booking website. I had issues with the reservation, was not given any level of customer service, total run around. Was told I would be contacted by manager....never happened. The hotel is in a great location, tough to find the route in. Real slap in the face when the guy in the hot tub only staying for a night or two brags about his hotwire deal of only $96 per night. About half of what I am paying and I booked for one week. Really feel like an appreciated Hilton Honors Member now. Had trouble with the WiFi, must have been the location of the room. Stayed on phone with tech support for them to confirm "trouble with WiFi". The parking lot area was a fiasco. First, it is $15 per night, not to be waived for Hilton Honors guest. I later found out some were waived...maybe the hotwire customers? But the gates were broken almost the entire time, not level of upkeep you would expect. Wedding party full of drunks on my last weekend night. Not unusual but after several hours you would think someone could keep them from running around screaming and cussing. I did not eat at the restaurant but was told from a couple that keeps a boat there that since the transition the food is bad. They claim it is known and management is working on it. Of course, the cookies are good. This experience will most surely keep me away from Hotel Maya, probably doubletree and hilton again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay at the Maya. I am sorry that you did not feel that you were treated as a special guest. Our loyal Honors guests mean a lot to us and we try to take good care of them. If you have a moment I would appreciate it if you could reach out directly to me so we can discuss specifics so that I may address correctly with my staff. My e-mail is kristi.allen@hilton.com or you can call the hotel directly. In regards to the Hotwire guests, yes hotels do occassionally offer special rates through different channels to fill slow dates. This typically happens within 24 hours of booking or for one slow night in the middle of a few busy nights. Not knowing your exact dates of stay, I am still confident that you would not have been able to get that hotwire rate for a week long stay. Thank you again for your comments and I Iook forward to talking with you directly.

Kristi Allen
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My girlfriend & I stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Maya recently. For the first night, we stayed in a room without an oceanside view. The next two nights, however, we were able to upgrade to a room with a view and that made a huge difference. Bigger room, nice sized balcony, although the quality of the beds thankfully remained at the same high level. The Kruger coffee maker in the room was a nice feature that my lady very much enjoyed.

The only negative to the hotel was the restaurant, which I felt was over-priced for teh quality of the food they served.

Great customer service, very ncie rooms, and, if booked online, and excellent price. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Thank you for your feedback. I will share your Restaurant feedback with our Food and Beverage Director. We just got a great review in the LA Examiner for Brunch but it sounds like we may have missed the mark with your breakfast.. Your feedback is very important and we will look into what we can do to make breakfast a more impressive meal. Thanks again!
TX
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I stayed one night for business travel in the Long Beach and after booking through Hotwire.com I was not disappointed. The room was very comfortable. The decor appears to have been updated in the last few years with a very modern/natural feel in most of the common areas. The room had a LCD TV, Keurig coffee maker, mini-bar, desk, and a patio/balcony area with two chairs to sit in the morning/evening. Parking is additional $15 which appears typical of the area based on past stays in the LA area.

Within the immediate area is the Queen Mary and submarine as well as a restaurant that I don't recall the name of. I went for a short jog along the shoreline in the evening and the area appeared relatively safe. There is both a cardio fitness room and a weight room in one of the buildings. Both were adequate for my needs of some additional cardio and light weights.

The only negative I have about this hotel was currently there is a fair amount of road construction that made finding the place the first time there a bit difficult.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Sacramento
Reviewed 9 March 2011

My mother, sister and I stayed here the night before we left for our cruise. The staff was very nice and helpful and the lobby and bar/restaurant were very quiet. We were here Super Bowl Sunday. This may have been why it was so quiet. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. They also have a free shuttle to take you to the Carnival cruise terminal. I don't suggest eating breakfast at the hotel. We had a very minimal breakfast and our bill was 65.00 for three people. Two of us has pancakes with four pieces of bacon and the other had eggs bacon and toast. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank christianna258
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I love this property location and facilities. I , along with my daughter and her family stayed on a Friday and Saturday night. We came for relaxation. The way the rooms are built,,, outside entrance with a courtyard that goes from the first floor to the fouth floor makes it very noisy. You can hear all the partiers on every floor of your building ,, coming and going. In addition, my room was right next to the one suite, the Azteca. It was rented by 20-30 year olds for a party. They paritied with loud music. I called desk at 11:30 and they said they would "check it out." The music stopped a bit later. But the partying didn't . Around 1:30 they were jumping off the patio,, or something that sounded like that. If you want to party ,, great place. If you want to get some sleep and get up early to enjoy the beauty of the bay and lcation,,, don't stay here on the weekend. I was so disappointed because it used to be part of the Joie de Vivre Hotels and love their properties.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Sorry to hear about the noise. We are in the process of carpeting all of the guest corridors to sound proof the hallways a bit more. Our security team tries to quiet our guests but every now and then we miss one. Building 1 and building 3 tend to be the quieter buildings due to location. We have a no party policy in our guest rooms and since we have so many fire pits and outdoor seating areas around the property, there are many places people can and do gather however it does not sound like this was the case. You will have to come back and tell us how the new carpeting works once it is complete. I think you will find it a much quieter experience!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 February 2011

When I first discovered this hotel online I knew from the pictures I had to experience it one day. I finally got that chance when a friend had nothing to do for her birthday, we are from the SoCal area so I suggested we take a "staycation". Obviously, I knew exactly where I wanted to take her!

We had a great experience from the start...they have a convenient 10 minute parking area just outside the entrance. Checking in took less than 10 minutes. The Double Tree hotels of Hilton offer free, freshly baked cookies upon check-in. They had just ran out; however they offered to deliver a couple to the room. We were going to explore the hotel anyways so we just came back. WELL WORTH IT! DELICIOUS! Couldn't have just one. They were kind enough to share this indulgence throughout our stay! The hotel itself and the grounds are very pretty. Very well maintained and well thought out. Great places around the hotel to take pictures. During the summer, this HAS TO BE a "hot spot" for young people...I'm sure of it. If it's not it would be.

We stayed in building 3 on the 5th floor. Parking was close, so not at all a struggle. The elevator is kind of small but perfect for two people and a weekend luggage bag each. Upon entrance of the room the color scheme takes you away. Blues, oranges, yellows...very bright yet not overpowering. Very well put together. We didn't have an ocean view but from the corner of the balcony you could partially see it. We ordered in room service for breakfast and ate on the balcony. The chairs are steel and quite deep, but if you add the decorative pillows that accent the beds it's the perfect outdoor seating area for two! The in-room service staff was great from order to delivery. There are small attention to detail things about the room that could be fixed but not worth complaining about.

The first night we ate at the hotel's restaurant Fuego. We had appetizers and drinks. Unlimited chips and salsa/chile are served. The chile was GREAT! There is a Ceviche Sampler that was AWESOME too! Drinks were also great...Kudos to the bartender. We asked for a window seat because the view at night is very nice, but really you could sit anywhere and have a great view because the walls are actually floor to ceiling patio doors that are opened during warmer weather. It was too cold during our stay to have them open. Even though we were seated in a timely fashion and the food & drinks were good, we were initially neglected. It was about 15 minutes before anyone asked us if we'd been helped or even brought us water; however, it was noticed and our first round of drinks were on the house...that definitely made up for it! After dinner we had plans to attend the local comedy club. We were unaware of the free shuttle service so we took a taxi (that the hotel kindly called for us upon request) there and back. Total...approximately $14. Still not bad.

The next day we drove to the pier which is only a few miles away. Better to use the shuttle service due to parking lot/garage fees near the pier. There are many chain restaurants in that area and a couple unknowns. We attempted to have dinner on The Queen Mary but the Scottish Festival was taking place that weekend so reservations were required. Online, reservations are recommended but due to the festival plans had to change. That evening we ended up eating at The Reef. Not as pricey as it looks, but can be. All in all Fuego was my favorite!

Upon further exploration of the hotel grounds we found the pool area. AWESOME pool area! Very chic and trendy! Can't wait to go back. About to book this hotel for another stay as we speak! This time for a more romantic getaway! It's going to be PERFECT!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HotelChicCritic
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay. As you mentioned Fuego and the Maya in warm weather can't be beat. We open the pool bar, get some great music out there at the pool and on Fuego's deck and enjoy the beautiful view. We can't wait to welcome you back! For a quieter stay, request building 1 or 3. 4 is next to the pool and 2 is next to the restaurant...both livelier venues. See you soon.