“Great value, Enjoyable stay”

Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #4 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Riverside, California
“Great value, Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My wife and I stayed At Hotel Maya the night before our November 12, 2012 Cruise. We used the Carnival Cruise deal which came with 7 days free parking making this a great bargain. We arrived around 3pm and were greeted with a smile and a warm cookie. The staff answered all of our questions and we were sent off to our room. We opted for the garden view to save money, yet we still enjoyed our view and liked the fact that we were on the fourth floor. We walked around the beautiful grounds with the fire pits and nice pool and jacuzzi area. The Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach was a lot closer than I thought. We even walked down to the Queen Mary and back before sunset. The next morning their shuttle took us directly to the ship as soon as we asked and gave us their card to call upon returning from our cruise. After we returned, it took their shuttle probably no more than 10 min to pick us up and return us to our car. We had no issues with our particular room and thought it was very clean. We have often cruised out of Long Beach and now I'm really sorry we never stayed here before. We will be cruising again in December 2013 and maybe we'll pay a little extra and spring for a water view and an extra day, it will be worth it!!.....Vincent Russell

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Great to hear you enjoyed the hotel! We look forward to your 2013 stay and hope to see you back before December. Thanks for the great comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed at Hotel Maya January 2011, and it was amazing. I loved every aspect of it. I was there for the Long Beach ISSE show for cosmetology, and I was just wowed by the entire place. It was my first Doubletree hotel, and it made a huge impact on me. I loved the staff, the hotel, the local cuisine, everything. I didn't dine on site, but I took a leisurely stroll over to Reef, and I was so impressed by the whole setup. :) I'm trying to plan a 1 year wedding anniversary trip for my husband and I coming up in March, and I am really excited to say that I'm planning on coming here! :) The little "town" thing across the street was cute, but it was empty, nobody in any of the shops when I went at about 4pm. A little strange, but the hotel, so impressive! Hoping I can get a good deal on our upcoming stay..

Room Tip: I loved the downstairs room with the view of the water. It was beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Thanks for the review...better late than never. We will take good care of you when you are back!!!!
Phoenix
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We chose this hotel as we were in Long Beach for 1 night to attend a function a the nearby QM. We could not have made a better choice. The hotel is situated on the water, and takes a little to get to, but nothing terrible. The approach and lobby are great, very cool lighting and design. Greeted warmly by the desk clerk by name and checked in immediately. Warm cookies are always nice! Using points, did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised by the room. Over sized and situated on the 4th floor in building 1, we had an amazing view of the harbor and the Long beach skyline. Room itself was large and well appointed. The bathroom is on the smaller side, but was set up nicely. Be warned, the door is a sliding door, so does not shut entirely, but was fine. Closet did not have a door nor closure, so as you walk into the room, you do see the hangars and clothes. Looking closer, the room could use a little bit of a refresh (carpet looked a tad tired). But-these are so minor. Really enjoyed our stay, wish it would have been longer. Will be back to the Maya for any styas in LB. Staff was great, room was fantastic. As we walked to the Queen Mary (they offered to drive us, but is less than a 10 minutes walk along the waterside path), saw the pool area and hotel 'beach'. Looked great!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
We wish you stayed longer too!!!!! come back and make sure you get to enjoy the pool, jacuzzi and the fire pits on our new beach. Thanks for the comments and we hope to see you again soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed 11 December 2012

What can I say about Maya? I stayed a week here with my son, mainly because I got a great deal. The room had a view of the harbor and downtown Long Beach but it was on the second floor and the view was a little cut off so we couldnt see the Queen Mary off in the distance. The hotel has a nice bar called Fuego and you can tell my the decor that HIlton took over a smaller hotel and is trying to upgrade. It's a nice theme so my grading on it really should be incomplete at the moment. The service was good, the staff friendly. What I didnt like was walking into our room and being hit in the face with a musty type smell. The room itself looked almost completely renovated except for that rug, which looked old and dated and probably contributed to the musty smell. Could probably use a little more drawer space but then again, I always overpack. The complimentary wi-fi was great. However, I probably wouldve preferred to stay a little closer to LA. We're about 30 miles away from anything worthwhile in any direction, be it LA, Disney, Universal so unless you're specifically in the area to see Long Beach, or here for a convention or a short trip, I'd probably stay elsewhere. I reserve final judgement on the hotel in lieu of completed renovations. Im assuming of course, that they will be completing renovations because it would be weird leaving it the way it is now, particularly with that carpet. I think once they do that, I could upgrade to 4 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thanks for the feedback and certainly glad you liked most of the hotel. The carpets are actually only 3 years old and we just deep cleaned all carpets and furntiure in the rooms with our annual deep cleaning....This is handled by an outside company and the smell might have been caused by the deep cleaning and chemicals we use to clean the carpets. It typically needs to air out after being cleaned. I will check to make sure they are airing out the rooms. Hope to see you back with us soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Each and EVERY time I walk into the Maya, I feel that I've entered a South American 007 set - the BEST ROOMS EVER! The staff is absolutely PERFECT! Harim, Vessie, Deanna, room service, housekeeping - ALL SPECTACULAR!

Room Tip: Ask for the towers which are to the left (when facing it) of the check-in location. Eat at the EXCE...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Thanks for the great comments...will pass along to staff.
Mismaloya, Mexico
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Anywhere close to Long Beach, I stay here! Very consistent in service, cleanliness and an enjoyable stay. Furnishings could use a refinishing or just replace them, but it never deters me from staying.
You have complete privacy on the balconies due to the angled architecture. Water view rooms are the best, but if you want to save a little, you will be find with garden view rooms. Roam the grounds, as they have created great spaces for you to hang out. Everywhere you go, there is another relaxing area to kick back. In my opinion, the atmosphere blends morrocan with tropical. Fire pits, lounging couches and chairs everywhere. Pool is great with the so called floating cabanas/double lounger.
They aren't floating but it appears that way. Gaze across the bay to downtown Long Beach or over to the Queen Mary. Occasionally you will see a Carnival Ship docked next to QM.
No resort charges, but do expect 17.00 a day for parking. Very comfortable, safe and enjoyable area and hotel. We just had our Company Christmas Party here. Food and service was impeccable.

Room Tip: Corner rooms really do feel more private on the balcony. Certain buildings and there are 4, have be...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Welcome back! We are so glad to hear you had another great stay with us and a fun holiday party. Thanks for the comments. We look forward to your next stay with us. Come back soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We stayed in the Hotel Maya for a conference at the convention center. We took the supershuttle from the airport. I think it was $15 per person one way with a AAA discount or conference discount. They dropped us off at our hotel.

We were upgraded to a room overlooking the water and downtown LB. Because of Hilton Gold, we were given free breakfast. Make sure your breakfast coupons state that it is for two people! We were asked every single day at breakfast. This did not sour my taste of the hotel b/c the breakfast was AMAZING! The view over the water was AMAZING! The staff were great as well!

Our hotel room was pretty big for US standards. Not sure about all of the rooms. The room had a Mayan theme and that was an adventure in a great way! Unique colors and designs. We had a little balcony with two yellow chairs. The entry door into main hotel was really cool. There is not much to the business center (two computers out in the open and a printer), but it is practical. The gym is nice and the front desk usually has fruit flavored water (very creative). Even though it was chilly outside, we went in the hot tub once by the pool and it was really hot, but neat since you can see the LB skyline.

You are walking distance to the famed, Queen Mary ship. Did not go in it, but looked pretty cool. There is a brand new ice skating rink that just opened next to the Queen Mary.

The Hotel Maya has a free bus that runs about every 15-20 minutes next to it that takes you into downtown LB (by the convention center, Bubba Gumps, etc). If this was not here and free, the Hotel Maya would not be an option b/c you realistically can't walk to downtown from the hotel. The free bus also takes you to the blue rail line which takes you into downtown LA. Very convenient, but keep in mind the blue line is going through Compton and other not great areas, so be alert. The ride is about 40 minutes from LB to 7th Street/Metro Center. The stop right before that is the Staples Center if you wanted to see a Lakers game. Also on the free bus line in LB is a Walmart if you need food/items. Not far. I walked to it from the convention center in downtown LB in 10 minutes.

Overall, this is a very fun hotel! I would recommend it! Questions, ask me!

Room Tip: Sign up for a Hilton credit card to get gold status for free breakfast HERE!! Otherwise, breakfast...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jgallag
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thanks for the great feedback and detailed comments. I think you hit many of our key selling points right on the head....I should have you handle our marketing as well. :) We are so glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you back here again soon!