“It All Worked Out for Us”

Comfort Inn & Suites near Long Beach Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We booked this hotel for ourselves and my BIL and SIL and their kids because of their park and cruise special. For $155/night, you can leave your car there for 7 days for free rather than pay port parking at $15/day. The taxi ride both ways is paid by the hotel, but it comes to about $18 one way (in case you're pricing this out); we tipped $5 each cab. We stayed the night before as well for about $106, so you'd only have to pay the higher rate once. I will admit that $106 is a lot for this type of lodging though. This hotel does not have an elevator, so you do have to lug your luggage, and we had lots of it. There is one ice machine for the entire hotel, and it's downstairs, so make sure you get your ice before you get into your pajamas.

Our room has a king bed with a sofa bed. The room was clean (no leftover hair or toothpaste spray from previous guests, for example, ugh!). Our mattress was very comfortable, and my husband said it was better than our own bed. My daughter had to sleep on the sofa bed and was not as pleased since she could feel the springs, but she's a trouper and seemed to take it in stride especially since she was so tired every night. The hotel has rooms with inside and outside corridors, but both of our rooms were inside, and we were on the second floor. I didn't hear our neighbors next door or from the outside. Occasionally, we would hear sirens, but that's like our house (not because we live in a bad neighborhood but because we live near a fire station). Although we were pleased with our room, our in-laws were not. My nieces said their room smelled like "old people" and "pee." I think they meant like a stereotypical nursing home! My husband went over and said that he could smell urine in front of their room from the hallway carpet.

The hotel is in a more industrial, mixed use neighborhood. I didn't see people lingering or groups of thugs or anything like that, as I know there are some comments about the neighborhood. I felt safe in my room and in the area. If I had to go to the CVS across the street at night, I would feel comfortable doing that. There are several restaurants within one block radius, and Cambodia Town is about a mile away in case you want to explore a different culture :) We dropped by twice for food, the morning of our cruise and when we came back. There are several guys who work at night, and at least one of them patrols the area. On our first night, we saw him actively at work (patrolling, not finding bad guys!), and the second night, I saw at least three guys working there.

Keri was extremely helpful; I think she found her calling in customer service. She took care of our taxis both to and from the port. I suggest that you check in with her the night before and let her know what time you want to leave for the port so that she can have taxis ready for you. Speaking of the port, we got to the port at 1:15, and there was no waiting!

This hotel worked out for us for our goals of being close to the port and saving on port parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor in the inside corridor. At least your door will be inside and no on...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank boltnut55

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is our third visit to this hotel. We always book the “Park & Cruise Package.” The package price is a great value. Since we had to leave the car an extra 7 days, the hotel charges $20/extra. (7 days free parking were included and our cruise was 14 days.)
We were greeted and had excellent service upon arriving. The staff is always helpful and great!! The room was cleaned and we had a great hot breakfast before checking out. Right across the street is a 24 hour CVS and a strip mall with stores and food locations. When you depart for the cruise a taxi is provided to and from the cruise ship terminal. We recommend this hotel to all of our friends and family. We will be back on December 1.
I would like to thank Myrtle Robertson, General Manager, and the staff.
FrequentAZCruiser-Diana K.

Room Tip: No elevators to the second floor. If you cannot maneuver stairs request a downstairs room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FrequentAZCruiser
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I booked this based on reviews and wow were they off, in my opinion. The only good thing I can say about this property is that the staff was very, very friendly and helpful. That is it. Here are the things to be aware of, no elevator to get to the 2nd floor. Rather a challenge with lots of luggage. No insulation in the walls. I had to pretend that my husband had the tv on like at home to finally will myself to fall asleep because of the voices below, next to me and outside the window. Requested a main floor room and king bed, got a 2nd floor room and 2 doubles. Was a non-smoking room, but the cleaning or whatever odor in the room was overwhelming. Couldn't sleep with the window open though because of the voices outside below. I am really flexible and can usually sleep standing up and anywhere, but this place is a dive. Beware!!!

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank idimport
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I did not know what else to use as the title of my review except for 10. Why? This place is a 10 all the around. The location is perfect, especially if your coming to Southern California on vacation. Its not far from Venice, Santa Monica, and Los Angeles, and its close to Disneyland and all the small communities along the ocean in Orange County. We stayed one night in Los Angeles and what a nightmare that was. Its was traffic 24/7. Staying in long beach is easy. The hotel was located right in the middle of everthing that you want to do in Southern California.We stayed five days at the hotel then we went on the carnival cruise ship. The hotel is located in a busy area. Its looks from the outside like it might be noisy and unsafe, however once inside its a completely different atmosphere. The hotel is peaceful and quiet. There is security guard who helped us with our luggage, and the front desk fantastic. Christian gave us great ideas of places to eat and visit. We loved the Hawaiian BBQ next to Starbucks.He also made sure we had the rollaway we requested and all the blankets and pillows that we desired. Kerry gave us directions and suggestions to all the places we wanted to visit.She knows everything about public transportation in the area. Half of us took the car to visit sites in los Angeles, and the other half took public transportation to local spots.

The free breakfast in the morning is great. There is something for everyone. The beds at this place are a 10. Wow! I never sleep that great away from home, and I slept harder than my little one. There is a heated outdoor pool which the kids loved, but no spa : ( They have free internet and workout room. The only downside is the business center. You cannot print out anything there. The computer does not download PDF and its always in Korean. Thankfully, the front desk let us use their computers in the front because I needed to print out information from work, and we had to reprint our boarding passes and luggage tags right before leaving on the cruise.

We suggest buying the Park and Sail Package. Kerry called us a van taxi, and we took a van taxi back. We left at our convenience and the hotel paid for the taxi, and Kerry met our taxis when we returned and paid the drivers. It was all so easy. We left our car while we sailed, and never worried about it because of the on site security.

Room Tip: Be sure to book early this place is always sold out. Not all of our family could stay here because t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Leah G
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I have stayed at this property four times in the past two years.

Each time, the hotel staff made me feel welcome and the rooms are clean, comfortable.

They have lots of free parking and night time walking security officer's. Not that I have seen a need.

There is a 24 hour CVS across the street and the metro rail is one block away.

Also, nicely landscaped and a nice pool area.

Room Tip: One of the nicest mid level hotels in Long Beach, Ca.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Alan W
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We chose the Comfort Inn in Long Beach for the free parking and shuttle to the Port of Long Beach for our cruise last week.
From the moment we arrived the experience was great. Christian had everything set up for us, in record time we were in our room. The next morning Carrie had our transportation scheduled and off we went. Upon our return they handled everything were were back from the port on on our way home.

The location of the hotel is great, everything and anything you need is just a stones throw away. The parking was not out in a back lot somewhere but up front with security cameras and in full view from the lobby.

Breakfast was everything from toast to waffles, eggs and sausage, it was wonderful surprise`i

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Marilyn N
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This was our second visit to this property. The Comfort Inn at Long Beach offers a “Park and Sail” package. We are able to leave our vehicle on the property and they transported us to and from the cruise ship via a taxi. There are surveillance cameras on the property so we were comfortable leaving our vehicle for a week. The room was very comfortable and clean. The package deal is a great price. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: If you order the "Park and Sail" package. You are able to book a spa suite or a sofa suit...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple