“Most awful hotel experience in last 27 years.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Carlton Motel Long Beach
Ranked #47 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Long Beach, CA
“Most awful hotel experience in last 27 years.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

No joke. I have stayed at some crappy hotels and this one even had a decent room but the "staff" (one guy who sits in his office/house) is a real jerk.

Just dont go here. If you lock yourself out, you'll get yelled at, if you ask a question, you'll get yelled at, if you ANSWER HIS freakin questions you'll probably still get yelled at. I did.

So annoying. Look up customer service dude, it's kinda a big deal eh?

Room Tip: Don't care about the cheapness or the room quality. There's literally 5 other the exact same...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Garet C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

Fighting to get credit card charge reversed. The motel tried to prevent this by faking a signature on a make-believe receipt. Can't believe that this even call itself a business. Will have to alert the better-business-bureau.

Avoid this Motel at all cost!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Matthias O

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

First please note that I do not know the owners or anyone affiliated with The Carltonton Motel. My job requires that I travel frequently. The catch is that I am required to pay for my accommodations up front and then of coarse I am reimbursed eventually......This has made me an expert in getting the best deals. I am a member of Trip Advisor and rely on their reviews. While seeking a suitable Motel in Long Beach I kept getting "The Carlton" as a match however, the reviews were not good. I read that the Motel was under new management so, I decided to call and get some info. AJ, the manager took the call and wow what a joy. Had it not been for him I would have missed out on this find. He invited me over to see the room without hesitation. The room was amazing. Crown Molding, perfect lighting, new air conditioner, flat screen, rustic hard wood flooring, inviting bed, fresh linen, work or dining table, and the bathroom is CLEAN and beautiful. Heres the good stuff.... DIGITAL CHANNELS (HBO, Bravo, OWN, ABC FAMILY etc.) refridgerator, vending machines, non smoking rooms are really non smoking but, the best part is the service. Like you I read reviews so and depend on them to be accurate. I also write a lot of reviews and this one is with a smile. Finally....

Room Tip: North side rooms are the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Teresa W
BEAUMONT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

We booked this hotel since the night we were going to stay there was the day they have there grand re-opening. Amazing place they did a very good job on redoing the whole hotel, very clean and nice new rooms. Big LED TV and nice comfortable beds! Best place i have stayed in for that price. Looking at the past people that stayed here it seemed very bad, but thought we would give it a shot since its redone and to me it seems like a day and night differences from what it was to what it is. I will always stay here when im in town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I booked a room through hotels.com for the carlton motel and prepaid with my debit card. Then when I arrived at the motel they apparently didn't have my booking and told me I had to pay again to check in. I told them about hotels.com but they wouldn't budge, finally I gave in and tried to pay with my card. After running the card the attendant told me it had failed and that I had to pay cash. Panicked that my account was out of money and with no where else to go I offered him the $50 I had left in my wallet and he finally gave me a room. When I got home from my trip I then was able to check my account and found NOT ONLY the hotels.com charge BUT ALSO a charge from the carlton motel long beach - meaning my card worked the first time he ran it and then he forced me to pay AGAIN. I feel like a fool for falling for such terrible business practices.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Austin C
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE. First off, I paid $60 for the room so I wasn't expecting much. But yellow stains on the sheets, black marks on the pillows, bong cleaning items on the floor, holes in the towels, and bugs on the floor is a bit much. I spilled water on the tile by the bathroom and when I wiped it up, the towel was black. I was up all night listening to the people next door have sex, so the walls are thin. I slept on top of a blanket I brought with me because I was so affraid of the bed. It was finally morning and I wanted to get the hell out of that place but when I went to check out, I had to wait 15 minutes before someone even came to the window! They advertise HBO, but they don't have it. Do not believe the pictures that they have shown. Staff is rude, no ice machine, I think this is a prostitute hotel. Pretty much ruined my whole trip.

Room Tip: do not pick any room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank cami k
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We booked our reservation on www.orbtiz.com
when we arrived the guests in front of us were arguing with the motel mgr/owner stating they would not pay extra money for something they already paid for via travelocity the person at the window was rude told them he wouldn't honor the rate they prepaid and if they wanted the room they would have to pay more for it. They stepped aside and i asked to check in. he told me "we are sold out i have no rooms" i said "orbitz just prepaid my res to my cc and i'd like my room. He again gruffed at me "i have no rooms" i showed him the screen for orbitz saying they had two more rooms for sale, he said that was impossible as they were sold out. i told him he needed to close out his bookings with orbitz for the night otherwise the rooms will sell. I again asked for a room. he told me if they don't take the room then you can have it BUT you have to pay $81 for it. I told him i wouldn't pay again cuz it was prepaid he said "oh well no room": I called orbitz they were useless they faxed the reservation and told him he had to honor it he said he wouldnt. the city was sold out and we had no choice so we gave him our credit card and paid $30 more than what our reservation was for and orbitz said they would refund it. Orbitz has refused to refund our room in fact they charged us twice and the hotel refuses to refund the charge. we have filed disputes with our CC company for all three charges. They were rude, mean, threatened to not give me my room when i wouldn't pay the extra. They did not honor the two night stay as we booked and they refused to 'walk us" for the overbooking situation we ended up having to cancel our plans for the second day because they would not give us a room. This has been the worst hotel experience i have ever had and the hotel absolutely refuses to refund the duplicate bookings or the reservation that they refused to honor from orbitz.

ALSO NOTE ORBITZ states that this hotel comes with FREE Continental Breakfast. IT DOES NOT.

The rooms are very small think dorm room size or small cruise cabin size. they do not use hotel quality sheets or linens it is basic linens you would have in your home so they are worn excessively and dirty. there was one towel in the room.

they do not provide any toiletries.

the parking is terrible if you have anything larger than a compact car forget parking there.

the walls are paper think we could here the drunks and partiers all night through the walls until 3a and then when the people next door awoke at 630a to shower and get ready we heard every move they made.

the carpets were dirty, our children walked around with white socks on and they were black from just walking on them for a couple hours.

the young man who worked the front desk was argumentative, knew absolutely nothing about how his online booking system interfaces with his inventory and they forgot to close out their inventory to orbitz and caused this oversell situation to happen and then they refused to replace the room. we had to cancel the second day of our trip because long beach was completely sold out.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family