Carlton Motel Long Beach
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Kay's Motel(Long Beach)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 April 2013

If there was a way to give a negative star, I would. This place was terrible! It had exposed wiring on the lights when we went in. We showed up early and we were told we couldn't check in until 3. Fine. We asked if there was somewhere we could put our luggage and he said right in front of the supply closet outside. Okay fine. Inside would have been nice but whatever. We go eat and come back and we're still early. We sit down to wait and 30 minutes later at noon, he gives us our room key and yells at us that check in time is 11. Yeah, I can see that. Nobody asked to come in early. Then he tells us if we had paid ten dollars extra, we could have checked in early. What?!? I don't know why he was complaining then. He was very rude and disrespectful towards me and my wife. The toilet clogged and we told him and he said "That's not my job!" Aren't you the manager? Whose job is it then? It sure isn't mine! Staff sucked, room sucked, matress was a rock and pillows were grossly oversized and hard like a rock also. Basically, everything sucked. We left the next morning at 8 am to find him outside smoking, staring at us as we left. No goodbye, no wave, nothing. I would rather cut my own arm off than stay here again. Worst place I have ever been to. Don't let the pictures fool you. It's not quaint or cute. It's cramped and Norman Bates 1950s hotel style. One story, dismal location. One word to sum up this hotel? Yuck.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, unfortunately. Plus, he tried to charge us extra outside our contract.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sean H
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I didnt even check in. I got here early, NO one was here. Compleatly empty on a weekend! Before I could even say a word the owner cut me off and rudely told me that check in was not until 3 pm. He told me that if I would have read all the paperwork that i would know that and would not be here right now. I cant believe how he spoke to me. I pre-booked with orbitz so the room was set in stone. So i checked in, booked a non smoking room, and got a room that smelled like an ashtray. The room was so tiny, the photos online are really enhanced. My room didn't have a microwave like the website had said. I asked the owner if he ever heard of "Up Selling" and he smiles and tells me he never heard of that and doesn't know what t is. Only the deluxe rooms have microwaves. I asked f I could pay more for a "Deluxe" room and he told me that I couldn't have one. Do not go here and do not book though ORBITZ. I spent 3 hours on the phone with there customer service only to be hung up on time after time.

Room Tip: Room 108 reeks of smoke
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Artessa C
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked this motel through booking.com for one night in November of 2012. I booked it 4 days in advance and received my confirmation in email. I repeatedly called this motel for 2 days to confirm my stay as I always do with all my hotel bookings. The phone calls never went through. I figured since I booked it through booking.com its probably okay. WRONG! I drove to the motel at around 4pm that day and I approached the window/lobby and was greeted by a horrible horrible and very rude manager. He first took my credit card and charged it. After he returned my card back to me he told me that they don't have a room there anymore but he pointed out his sister hotel and asked me to book a room there. I got angry so I asked him to give me a refund and that I only booked this hotel not some of his sister hotel. The manager got hostile and started yelling at me in what I guess was English with super heavy accent. I got super mad and again asked for refund since he took my card first then told me they don't have rooms there anymore. He yelled at me again and refused to do so. I called booking.com and thankfully booking.com got me a room in Holiday Inn and covered the difference for me.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank DaisyZ
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I booked this hotel through Priceline and received confirmation via email. Priceline confirmed they had faxed management 8 hours before my arrival to confirm my reservation. Once I arrived, I am first taken back by the appearance of the motel, nothing like what is described in their own description.
I go to the "window" (no lobby, just a window) to buzz for assistance and this non-english speaking, very rude man reaches me a cell phone through the gap in the window and I speak with "AJ" the manager who tells me, "Priceline has been trying to call you, they said they could not process your card so we could not hold your room". I say, "I will call Priceline and see what happened". AJ says, "Don't do that, they will just keep you on hold forever and tell you just what I told you." I was told there was no availability otherwise even though all the rooms were dark and only 3 cars in the parking lot around 6:00 pm.
I call Priceline and am told none of what AJ has told me is true and they will call him to see what the deal is. AJ proceeds to tell Priceline that they had just run my credit card and it was declined so they were not able to rent me a room. UNTRUE!!!! I NEVER GAVE THEM MY CARD!!!!!! I go back to the "window" and argue with the very rude Indian man asking him to call "AJ again" so I can straighten this out. He FINALLY agrees to do so after yelling at me in his own language.
AJ tells me, "I haven't spoken to Priceline or anyone, I have no idea what you are talking about"...even though I am on my own cell phone with Priceline and they are telling me everything AJ had just told them. And...how else would Priceline know his name? I never gave it to them!!! AJ repeatedly denied talking to them, even though they had just phoned him 5 minutes prior and the rude man behind the window muttered out, "manager just talk to priceline, no deal made!"
The gentleman at Priceline was so very helpful and got all my room charges dropped, confirmed through the hotel. But he also told me that he will launch a formal complaint against this hotel, through Priceline, and make it aware on the company website.
AJ FLAT OUT LIED TO ME AND TO PRICELINE!!! That was confirmed!!!! The man behind the window was so rude and disrespectful!!!!
DO NOT TRUST THIS MOTEL!!!! I wasn't expecting a lot considering the price I was paying, but I sure expected to get a half way descent room, a cordial management, and an honest exchange of dialogue between myself and whomever was in charge when I tried to check in.

BEWARE!!!!!! THIS EXPERIENCE WAS A NIGHTMARE!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank lesa h
Reviewed 4 December 2012

No joke. I have stayed at some crappy hotels and this one even had a decent room but the "staff" (one guy who sits in his office/house) is a real jerk.

Just dont go here. If you lock yourself out, you'll get yelled at, if you ask a question, you'll get yelled at, if you ANSWER HIS freakin questions you'll probably still get yelled at. I did.

So annoying. Look up customer service dude, it's kinda a big deal eh?

Room Tip: Don't care about the cheapness or the room quality. There's literally 5 other the exact same on this street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo