“Great Stay and Service”

Best Western Golden Sails Hotel
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Although an older hotel, service was excellent and staff was responsive to customer needs. Although the fitness room was not well maintained until i requested better service, the staff rectified the situation. The menu in the restaurant was very good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Best Western Golden Sails Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed in the Best Western Hotel Golden Sails while visiting family for Christmas and I think it was a total of 5 days that we stayed there, maybe 2 nights and then we flew to Cabo San Lucas and then returned for an extra three days.

I have to say one of the things that attracted us was the lovely low price - even now I just priced it on booking.com for this Christmas in case we decided to visit family again and it was 282 euros for 4 nights INCLUDING lovely breakfast ...yes that is FOUR nights, king sized room for two people!
Wow - Just Amazing Value!!!

We were blessed in that the weather was absolutely amazing, in the 80s and I sent a good portion of Christmas Day sunbathing by the pool under the palms - nice work if you can get it!

The owners/managers and staff of this hotel are really lovely people and they made us feel so welcome and we particularly loved the two waiters who I think are brothers in the restaurant - I am so sorry I cannot recall their names but we had a lovely time discussing Mexican food for our upcoming trip and they really made every breakfast time a pleasure with their charming company and hospitality.

The Best Western Golden sails has a fabulous location with superb marina views. On our second stay we got the most lovely huge split level room at the end of the building with fantastic views of the marina and two balconies, huge comfy bed, microwave, great shower, kitchenette and lovely dining and sitting area plus nice coffee maker........... oh and really fast hassle free FREE WIFI and also free and ample parking.

Having read the reviews we were a little nervous with our choice but figured as we had family living close by and as we would be hardly there - how bad could it be?

Let me tell it was FABLULOUS - especially for the great value price I got through booking.com ...............but do remember that in California sales tax is added to everything so do budget for that.

Now I do not know what a lot of people who seemed disappointed expected for the price and location - this is not a boutique or luxury hotel but it is a great place to stay with simply everything that you could want and so much more, with lovely friendly and helpful service and really nice rooms.

No it is not a quaint romantic hideaway but the beach or a glamorous chateau but if you are on a budget and love a bargain - this is it.

Some reviews say it is tired and needs a revamp. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it especially as I imagine that the nice affordable prices would also have to be given a make over to facilitate the upgrade.

The breakfasts are wonderful all with lovely marina views, service fab and they even have an ingenious pancake maker.

On our arrival at first we were given a room that smelled a bit of smoke and there was a musty smell on the corridor but we were cheerfully and swiftly changed to another very nice room and as I mentioned on our return we were upgraded to this lovely split level room.

So if you are looking for a wonderful hotel in an amazing location with great beds, great breakfast, rooms equipped with big tv, coffee maker, microwave, kitchen area, great views and lovely spacious layout to relax in all at a very competitive price this is it.

The hotel which we had also considered and looked lovely and was actually nearer to the family house and also offered the same facilities of The Golden Sails including pool was the 3 star Marriott Long Beach which is close to Long Beach Airport I just checked the prices and yes this year the same as last year there us an huge difference - 4 days in Dec 2014 at the marriott will set you back 769 euros while The Best Western Gollden Sails is a delightfully affordable 282 and unless you are just holing up in your room for the entire stay and given that the Golden Sails has everything you could want including free, fast and flawless WIFI why would anyone wish to pay nearly 500 euros more for four nights for basically the same thing but without the lovely sea views and location right next to the marina?

If you would like somewhere luxurious and opulent or quaint and romantic also with the same great views, breakfast, service, location and pool I suggest you would have to dig very deep in your pockets and still perhaos not do as well.

Have no idea why the ratings for this hotel are so low and I do find it most unfair both to the lovely people who run the Best Western Golden Sails and to the people who, like us, are on a budget and would love to find a true gem like this that delivers all you could want and more for a really affordable great value price.

I would like to thank everyone at the Best Western Golden Sails who were so lovely to us and gave us such an unforgettable stay and a special Hi and thank you to the brothers from the restaurant who made every breakfast so lovely for us!

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina View - simply amazing especially the balcony!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BonneVoyager
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just attended my 4th meeting at this hotel It's a super great location to hold an out-of-town meeting/conference if you're a federal government agency. Room rates are within GSA Per Diem, rooms are large and clean with microwaves & mini-refrigerator. Best of all comes the extras this hotel provides to meeting/conference participants that no other hotel I've stayed at came close to matching. FREE breakfast, lunch, and dinner with the coupons you get the day you register. Also FREE drinks (2/day) and cocktail party for your group. The restaurant had excellent food and you could order anything on their menu with your free dinner coupon. They also had dinner specials the week I was there like steak and lobster and prime rib - free with your coupon. I highly recommend this hotel for your next meeting/conference.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Charles F
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The nicest Best Western I've ever stayed at. My fiancee and I will definitely make it our hotel every time were in Long Beach, CA.
The staff was very nice and helpful.
The rooms were excellent.
And breakfast was delicious!

I would recommend it highly to my friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Maria W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The location of this hotel makes up for the higher rates. It was clean but an older hotel overall. The hallways inside the hotel between the rooms were very stuffy but once the actual room was aired out, it was pleasant. Our room had a balcony so it was a great place to have morning coffee.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed 18 July 2014

There is nothing but excellent where this Hotel is concerned. The staff, room, price, and location, couldnt ask for better. If you are Cruising out of Long Beach check out this hotel for sleep and park. I have stayed at many hotels in the Long Beach area and this is one of the best, and the best B/ Western in the city.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank YucapiaSuzanne
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotel rate are equal to the service. Food are good. Service also nice.Only the location are little bit far from the beach if you don't have a car. But it nice place to stay and release for a vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family