“Location mixed service outstanding!”

Best Western Of Long Beach
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Location mixed service outstanding!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Ok, so no one really goes on vacation in Long Beach - that is to say one usually uses LB as a "home base" or sorts. This Best Western is in a sketchy area, but its location is very good for things like Queen Mary, Catalina, Grandprix, cruises etc....but the thing that makes this hotel outstanding is its service. Mike and his crew are amazing: they will take you just about anywhere you want to go and do it with a genuine smile (my favorite driver is "Marco") although all of them are great! I take my Highschool group here every year and every year they roll out the red carpet for us!

Room Tip: Ask for pool-side room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Porterville, ca
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel from 3/12/12 to 3/14/12. My intention is to write a detailed review to help you make a wise decision about your hotel stay.

Overall, the hotel was clean and well maintained. I specifically appreciated the fact that they provide free gated parking as well as security cameras on each floor (hotel is 4 flrs) and in surrounding areas. We never had an issue with parking in the gated area. As a guest, I felt safe knowing that there was security cameras and gated parking. The front desk personnel was helpful and friendly. They responded kindly when a question or issue came up. I arrived at noon and I was allowed to check in early at no cost, I sincerely appreciated this as I was traveling with three small children. The complimentary breakfast was pretty decent, coffee, juice, waffle maker, fruit basket with apples and oranges and pastries. I stayed in room 306, it was a decent room facing the street and parking lot. The room had newer carpet. The beds were a bit too soft for my taste. The room did not have a flat-screen TV, it has the basic box 25 inch with cable.
The room had a tub/shower combination. The water pressure is a bit weak and the drain in the tub was a bit slow, but this did not turn out to be a big issue, just something we took notice of.
The metro is located directly in front of hotel. I did not find this to be an issue since it was not too noisy. The surrounding neighborhood is not very good, however it is also not the worst. It is not the kind of neighborhood you want to be walking around at night, however if you are traveling by car it is not an issue. The hotel is located in a great area in terms of what is available. A less than 5min drive will take you to the supermarket, starbucks and other great amenities. I had researched other hotels in the area and as I was driving around with my family, I was very happy I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Long Beach since this hotel is definitely in a terrible area.

The hotel does have a single guest washer/dryer located in the garage, this was not an issue as from my rm. 306 if I took the stairs down to the garage I was right by the washer/dryer..(it costs $1.50 per wash/1.50 for 45 min of dryer use).
Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Tips when staying at a hotel:
I consider myself to be very clean and I felt the hotel was very clean. I highly recommend that when you stay at any hotel, you should travel with a can of lysol and spray all surfaces before completely allowing everyone to enter the room, especially the phone and TV control as these are known to carry the highest amt of germs.
Bring your own sheets, one under your body and one over as well as your own pillowcases.
Inspect the bed sheets for any bed bugs. Bed bugs are very common in hotels.
Book your hotel through Bestwestern.com. The pro is you are not dealing with a third party and the price is pretty much the same whether you book on kayak.com or best western. com. The difference is that the hotel price is cheaper through kayak but by the time they add extra fees it is the same price as if you would have book directly with hotel.
Right after you make the reservation, call the hotel the next day to verify your reservation and ask for a newer room, or recently renovated room..when you ask politely it is surprising how hotel staff will respond to your request.
The hotel location is great, very close to the Aquarium, Harbor, and downtown Long Beach Area. If I were traveling to Long Beach again, this is definitely the hotel I would stay at.

Room Tip: Get a room on 3rd floor facing the metro and parking lot, Rm. 306 is great. Request a room at the e...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank T O
mikesandhu, Manager at Best Western Of Long Beach, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you so much for sharing some very detail valuable feedback.
I have ensured to share your comments with our team for immediate improvement.

I also wanted to thank you for your apreciation of our team and service we are working very hard to make every guest feel special.

Feel free to contact our management team on your next visit we would love to make your stay even more special and memorable.
Alberta
Reviewed 22 March 2012

we stayed here overnight before a cruise, close to terminal, we were told we would be picked up at airport upon arrival, I phoned when we arrived only to find out that they only pickup from Long beach airport, room was clean, transit across the street, business's in district all have bars on them, , would I stay here again, probably not, will pay a bit more for a more secure area

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This is my first time writing about this Hotel, although we have stayed here at least 10 times..Honestly this is not a Hotel we would have picked but it was what "Price Line" gave us, and even though not in the best area of town...One of the Cleanest, Friendlest hotels in Long Beach. Breakfast is always a plus...Always fresh and the Breakfast area is always clean...Parking is free and safe...and hotel is near anything you want to do in the LA area or Orange County Area...For Tourist's who don't want to drive...The Blue Line is just outside the Lobby...a real plus I'm sure to many..Only downfall on this Hotel is a very slow elevator...LOL

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We were only here for one night, but the hotel staff were extremely friendly & the shuttle driver even dropped us off "almost right in front" of Roscoe's ....which he wasn't supposed too, but since we were the only ones, he didn't seem to mind! The location is across the street from their metro (rail) - but you can't hear it, and you literally just walk the street. As for the area, it's LA - come on - it's not Bel Air, there will be some ethinicity around!! Overall, felt pretty comfortable, we even walked a good long stretch of the Blvd (by accident, my fault) - and we had encountered some pawn shops, and lots of fast food restaurants. It's not exactly close to the "action" - but if you hop on the rail, you'll be there in probably 20 mins, if you ask for the free shuttle, it's like less then 10. I didn't try the pool, but it looked clean, but then it was sort of facing the street, so it's ok, pass! As well, a McDonalds is across the street, so if you missed breakfast (which was your average BW) - then you could try that as well. They have 2 shuttles which you book ahead, and they were prompt (the next morning) - and the other driver was also just as good as the first we had. All in all, good price, decent location, and awesome staff!

Room Tip: Book ahead for your shuttle to the port ahead of time! We were on the Disney cruise, and the front...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
beaverton
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Pros: Friendly staff, close to cruise terminal, they provide a shuttle to the port, free breakfast included, staff allowed us to use the conference room for dinner because we had a large group.

Cons: neighborhood is a bit sketchy (bullet-proof glass at the pizza hut across the street), rooms looked clean but didn't feel clean, breakfast room was pure chaos... hard to get what you needed, son had horrible allergies from the dust mites.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 21 February 2012

THis hotel picked me up after my cruise without having reservations offered me a ride to downtown long beach to see the hotels around and then to this place i can tell you that i would have not got a warmer stay anywhere else I usually get homesick but they sure made feel at home clean place and happy staff. Now going to the outside well the city its a big small city where you find diversity for sure saying that I like to point a few things that came handy like the metro my God it was a life saver as I could connect to Los Angeles fast easy and cheap for $5 you can ride all day taking to downtown is a few stops and it leaves you in the heart of beautiful Long Beach i cannot mention all the restaurants they have and a lovely walk path among the beach line I did my daily run there everyday at sunset then stopped by a small Argentinian bar n grill called Gaucho on Pine ave nice sidewalk sitting they have indeed and awesome mojitos.

Room Tip: The rooms on the east side are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo