“Great location for Convention Center”

Renaissance Long Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Buffalo, NY
“Great location for Convention Center”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance for four nights for a recent convention. If you look at a map, it is not immediately evident just how close the Renaissance is to the Convention Center. But it is literally across the street from the convention center and much closer to all of the lovely restaurants and bars on Pine Avenue.

I was able to check in a little early and was given a double room on the 5th floor (I had a conference rate). The room had a refrigerator and a large desk area with plenty of outlets. The bathroom was a decent size, and they provided wonderful Aveda products. The room was also very clean and the bed was comfy. Housekeeping made up my room early each day. There are cushions placed on the large ledge in the window area which was a lovely touch if I wanted to sit on the ledge and enjoy the view.

My room faced the pool (which is on the 3rd floor). Because I was on the 5th floor, I could hear the people partying and pool noise at night. Since I was there on business, I was in bed most nights well before 11:00 when the pool closes. If you need to get up early, ask for a higher floor or a room facing away from the pool.

I used the pool and large jacuzzi most mornings (the pool opens at 6:00). I quickly realized why there was so much pool noise when one morning I found beer bottle caps EVERYWHERE along with cigarette butts (I stopped counting at 30 butts) everywhere, but especially near the jacuzzi. Technically, the hotel is non-smoking, and there were certainly no ashtrays in the pool area that would lead guests to think that you could smoke there. But every day I saw people smoking near the pool. Either enforce the non-smoking rule, or provide ashtrays for these folks.

I used the fitness center every morning and was grateful that it was open 24/7. Being from the east coast, I never did get used to sleeping in and was frequently at the center before 6:00 each morning. There were 4 ellipticals, 2 bikes and 5 treadmills, along with weight machines and free weights. I liked the Techno Gym equipment, especially the ab machine, which is unusual to find at a hotel fitness center. There were plenty of towels, sanitizing wipes, bottled water, headphones, and fresh fruit.

Since I lost my Marriott Gold status because I "only" stayed 30 nights last year, I had to pay the $9.95 fee for daily internet access from my room. The connection was very fast, though. I believe that Wifi was available at no cost in the lobby.

There were so many fabulous restaurants within an easy six block walking area that it's hard to name them all. Suffice it to say that there is a restaurant for every taste and budget. I do have to mention the Truffle Burger at The Federal which was one of the best burgers that I've ever had. Rock Bottom Brewery is also directly across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Seabrook, Texas, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Beautiful, clean, friendly and courteous staff! A great experience overall. Close to Shoreline Village, the Aquarium, and many restaurants and attractions all within walking distance.

The room was excellent, very clean and nicely updated with LOTs of charging ports for our computers, phones, etc. Nice soft beds and very soft and clean pillows, sheets, adn soft fluffy towels. The hotel was as spotless as was our room.

The only drawback was housekeeping did not arrive on our first day until after 5:30 p.m., the second day housekeeping did not arrive until 6:30 p.m.

All of the staff in that cafe and lounge were terrific. I highly recommend this hotel for business travel.

PA
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very conveniently located if you are in town for a conference at the convention center. There are also many restaurants nearby. There are also a good running/ walking route near the water. The room was clean. There was a water leak - a constant drip- above the bathroom sink. Also every time the AC kicked on it pulled the door shut making a loud noise. It made falling asleep a challenge. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. All of the fees are frustrating but I guess expected for a downtown hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Diana H, Manager at Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay. We are pleased that the location worked well for your visit. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had in your room. Our team will address these items to prevent others from having the same experience. Thank you again for your sharing your experience.
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Beautiful, clean, friendly and courteous staff...Overall a great experience. However, houskeeping did nto arrive until very late in the day after all my activities for my conference were over and I had o leave my room again while they cleaned at 5:30 p.m. Other than that, an amazing place and if I return to Long Beach, this will be my first choice! Close to the beach, Shoreline Village, the aquarium, and many restaurants and attractions.

Lenoir City, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The room was excellent, but we had specific concerns that has led to the "average" rating. First, housekeeping did not arrive on our first day until 6:30 p.m. which negatively impacted our ability to get ready for a planned night out; the second day housekeeping did not arrive until 4:30 p.m. Even more concerning was that when we needed to find medical care, the front desk did not know where Urgent Care was located. Third, when asked, "where is a good walking route from the hotel?" the staff member replied, "I don't know."

Room Tip: We preferred looking out away from the ocean....makes you want to get out and get going!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Diana H, Manager at Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback regarding our staff knowledge. The Renaissance brand is focused on assisting our guest discover the local area. Please accept our apologies for not meeting you requests for information on the area. Please be assured that the experience is not the norm for our team and we have taken steps to address this matter with all of our team to prevent this from recurring. We are grateful for your feedback so we may take corrective action to ensure all of our guests experience a great experience.
Thank you again for sharing.
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is centrally located in Long Beach. The area is filled with restaurants, sites to visit, and right by the performing arts center. The staff was helpful, the room was comfortable, and the hotel was modern. The pool is facing west and was fun to lounge besides.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the ocean for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here on business. Took the opportunity to be a tourist. I loved the location. From here, you can easily walk to dozens of great restaurants, a large number of tourist things, and the beach. The newly renovated rooms were clean, quiet, and comfortable. The executive lounge is very nice, with great service. The food selections at happy hour are a bit pathetic, but that is what I have come to expect from Marriott-brand CONUS locations so I can't fault this place for that. This was my third stay here. I will continue to book here for my Long Beach stays. I don't think I could do much better for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor view. The streets are a bit noisy at night, so a higher floor would be better...in my...