“Marriott; Maybe Not”

Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Marriott; Maybe Not”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I thought this was a very good hotel. I opened one of the side-tables and discovered a Gideon Bible. Great! I thought. But there was also the Mormon cult's "Book Of Mormon." What to do? Well, I ran a Google, and found that this Hotel chain is owned by a prominent Mormon who "must" give 10% of his profits to the cult, so if you want to support the Mormons, have at it. If not, go elsewhere. Otherwise, it is a clean, professional Hotel, and, unlike many of their Eastern counterparts, they charge nothing for parking. This was THE hotel for the So-Cal Irish Fair, and so I found myself there, and will never again. My review says the stay is fine; my philosophy says it is not. The choice is yours.

Room Tip: The coffee is not great, so skip the room freebie and go to Starbuck's down the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RevLovebrew
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for your comment.
We respect your religious views and beliefs. Marriott Associates are responsible and dedicated innkeepers and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting the Irish Faire once again and we hope you would set aside your philosophical views for a couple of days. Enjoy the amenities that our hotel offers and the friendly staff that are ready to serve your needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My 6 year old and I stayed here for one night, pre-cruise. I really wanted to stay by the pier, but we made reservations at the last minute, so most nice hotels were sold out.
I chose this hotel for 3 reasons:
Connivence: It literally is walking distance from the airport, with wide sidewalks. Safe for kids, and you literally cannot get lost. About a 10-15 minute walk which is nice after being on a plane. Or you can wait for the shuttle. About the same amount of time.
Next, Amenities: They have 2 nice restaurants, a Starbucks, a beautiful indoor and outdoor pool, beautiful grounds and lobby, a fire pit, and a qym. It was a heated pool, too. My son loved it. They offer poolside food and cocktail services as well. Not crowded and plenty of chaise lounges. Oh, there is NO jacuzzi at this hotel if that makes a difference to anyone.
Last, the price was very reasonable.
However again, If we would have been in the area for more than one night, and wanted to explore, I would have stayed by the pier. It's about a $35 cab ride to downtown, the beautiful pier and wonderful restaurants. I had no idea Long Beach was actually fun, and kid-friendly! I would have extended the trip just to stroll around, go to the aquarium, rent a boat, etc..So worth it!
A couple more notes: The rooms probably need a little updating. I wasn't too concerned but I know many are about that. The bathroom especially. It wasn't dirty, just outdated. No big deal for one night though.
I heard NO airplanes during the night, or in the early morning. Our room faced the airport, too. I did hear some planes while at the pool, but so few and far between. It's a small airport, after all. We had a view of the golf course in the distance and the parking lot. My advice, ask for a room facing the pool. It's pretty.
Keep in mind if you have a car, parking downtown is a nightmare. the hotels there have no choice but to charge you a parking fee I would guess, and the public lots are always full. This hotel, the parking was of course free.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank stellagirl
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you and your family had an enjoayble stay with us. If you are looking for entertainment, the Lakewood Center / Shopping Mall is located just 3.5 miles from the hotel. They have numerous restaurants and movie theaters. We also provide complimentary shuttle.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Recently stayed here and while I was worried about being so close to the airport I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. Room and common areas were clean. Front desk staff was very nice but the bellman were lackluster. The food was highly overpriced for such small portions, probably best you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your comment. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have forwarded your comment to our Executive Chef so that he may be informed.
Trondheim
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean lobby/conference area, but rest of hotel needs renovation. Rooms are worn, hallways are a trip back to the 80s, and the pool/sunbed area is pretty worn as well. Airport is noisy during the day, but not a problem at night. Nice gym, great service with very friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for your comment.
We appreciate the fact that you liked the majority of our facilities and found our staff to be friendly. Our Associates strives to be the BEST in these areas. Our decor in our public areas are the same in our hallways when we renovated a few years ago. I am sorry that you did not find them appealing. We have received numerous complements in the past.
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

They have recently redid the serving area of this popular hotel….but for the worse. The buffet backs up into the conference room area so any chance of going back for seconds doesn't happen. The hot food was ok…..but everyone wanted the waffles which just kept the line on hold.
The desserts were off to the side but the fruit & eggs/bacon just were a horror to get to. None of our group wanted to wait 15+ min on the line again…….so we checked this one off as" Don't Bother"

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Art R, Director of Sales at Long Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your comments. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience/dissatisfactions you have experienced during our Sunday Brunch Buffet. I have forwarded your comments to our Food & Beverage people to prevent any dissatisfactions from guests in the future.
San Luis Obispo County, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great location if your flying out of Long Beach airport. Inside the hotel was shockingly quiet for being right next to the airport. This was a super clean hotel that has comfy beds. The water pressure in the shower was a bit on the low side, but I am picky about this aspect of a hotel. I enjoyed having a cocktail by the lovely outdoor pool and pretty grounds. By they way drinks are not nearly as expensive as most hotel restaurants/bar are in the area. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Tracy from the restaurant was especially kind and helpful. I would stay here again with not hesitation.
FYI- Parking is free!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us. Please do come back when you are in the area once again.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is a great hotel in every aspect, design, comfort, location, friendly, professional staff. It made stressful traveling a pleasure. I was given an early check-in in a very quiet room. The price of the room was very economical for what you get. My bed was ultra comfortable. The lobby area is renovated with an awesome fitness room with an indoor pool, coffee bar and two restaurants. The outdoor pool and grounds are beautiful. There is free parking. Very close to airport, but the rooms are silent, you don't hear anything. I will definitely stay here again next time I visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PortlandVis
Thank you for your comments. We look forward to your return trip in the very near future.