“Clean, Quiet and Economical”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Los Alamitos
Don's Turf Motel-Los Alamitos
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Los Alamitos
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After reading other reviews, I decided to give this place a try. I'm glad I did. It ain't fancy! But, it is clean, quiet and inexpensive. Since I work in the area but live out of the area, I needed a clean, quiet and economical place to stay 3 or 4 nights a week. This place works out ok. No cable TV or internet but, management is very accommodating. I have stayed there 3 or 4 times now and, so far, it works for me. Depending on where your room is located, there can be a lot of street noise. But, I really haven't had a problem as yet. There is a great restaurant down the road with a great happy hour. I eat most of my evening meals there during happy hour. The place is called the Gourmet Cafe and Bakery. It's just across from COSTCO. I wish I had known about this place a year ago. I could have saved thousands! If they had cable and a few other extras, I would give it a 5 rating.

Room Tip: If you need a firm bed, you'll have to ask. Otherwise, the bed can be uncomfortable. I need a fi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Leanis

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at Don's Turf on 8/23 & 8/24. We were visiting Los Al (from Washington State) for the horserace meet and to celebrate my father's 75th birthday.

We used to stay at Don's Turf when I was growing up (in the 1970s and 1980s), but in the late-80's it felt into disrepair. We hadn't stayed since, but decided to give it a try after having had a disappointing experience at the local Courtyard by Marriott, from which we departed after only one night.

The TripAdivsor reviews for Don's Turf were positive, so I felt it was worth a go. Because the rooms were inexpensive ($75 for two double beds, or $50 for one queen), we booked two rooms.

I was very pleased to see the rooms and courtyard in great condition, but still keeping the motel's 1950's California-style charm. Everything was very clean. The grounds inside the courtyard are very nice, with a swimming pool at the center. There was a nice size mini-fridge and microwave oven, but with retro chairs. The rooms also had good natural lighting.

In short, the stay was a pleasant trip down memory lane. If I were to describe the motel to someone who hadn't stayed before, I'd say that the rooms have the feel of a quaint beach motel--clean and simple, but with better sound insulation than most motels.

In terms of recommending it, I would do so whole-heartedly with two caveats: 1) wifi is not promised (the owner lives in the motel, and you can use her wifi, but she doesn't guarantee that it will work), and 2) the hotel doesn't provide cable or satellite TV, so if you are hoping to watch the latest Game of Thrones, you are probably out of luck.

But, other than that, it is a great place for families and adults and a great value. I would happily stay there again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank punkinpapa
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very clean, low cost, extremely quiet, and friendly staff. Good place for sleeping and resting. A no frills small motel. The pool is very clean and sparkling clear. About 1-2 miles down the road is restaurants and shopping places and grocery stores.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank A M H
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This hotel had lots of good reviews, the price was right and was near where we needed to be so we decided to give it a try. This in not a fancy resort hotel obviously but what it is a great value in a good sized, super clean and quiet room. Perfect if you have other things to do and places to go. The courtyard had has great landscaping and the pool is excellent. Not many amenities or a place to hang out all day though. The pool area doesn't open till 9 am I believe so you only have a small chair outside your door to sit outside and drink your coffee. No coffee makers in the rooms so make other arrangement for that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NeilDMc
Reviewed 8 July 2013

If you want a great inexpensive place to stay anywhere near Los Alamitos...this is it!!

We were looking for something near the Race Track (only 1/2 mile away)

We chose this motel because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Frankly if we had driven by, we probably wouldn't have stopped because the outside is pretty boring considering the really nice area that it is in. They do have a great sign..

Once inside..very nice! The rooms are clean though plain, no pictures on the walls, no laundry, no room service, no wi-fi..

Our room had a small fridge with small freezer, perfect for our snacks and juice. Microwave also included, no coffee maker...

We loved that the high ceilings made the rooms seem large.

Comfortable king size bed with mattress top. Small table with two chairs. Good size closet.

We stayed on the second floor... bathroom had a pretty decent size bathtub and a large, very large counter top by the sink.

The pool is in the center of the complex so all rooms have a pool view. We walked out of a sliding glass door to the balcony (walkway shared by all second story rooms and down the stairs to the pool)The pool is heated to a perfect temperature, clean and in a park like setting with palm trees and other foliage surrounding the courtyard..

The air conditioner was COLD !!!! Huge plus !

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful !

We will stay again !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I needed a clean, inexpensive place to lay our heads for a couple of days while we were in town for our nephew's graduation in Anaheim. I read all the good reviews here and we were definitely not disappointed. Great location, friendly front desk staff, and spotless rooms, all at an incredible price. Truly a unique place with authentic 50's lighting and furniture. The bed and linens were soft and clean as were the towels. We'll certainly stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This Motel is now filed under "My Secret" I was in town for a couple of days and did not want to throw a bunch of money on a "Chain" hotel, considered an area Motel 6 but found Don' Turf Motel. I really did not know what to expect but the price was right and I really just wanted to rest and relax. I was very impressed, the room was spacious, much larger than I expected, I would almost consider it a baby brother of a Residence Inn. A mini-fridge, microwave and VERY CLEAN! If you are looking for a great no frills value then look no further! A step back in history from the outside but a very special place on the inside. I will NEVER go to a Motel 6 again when I am in the area! Give this place a chance on your next stay. It is value rich, quiet and relaxing. It should be noted that they do not have Wi-Fi nor cable but if you are looking for a place to just "checkout" it is by far the best value! Thanks and I will see you again soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are about the same, if you are looking for a VALUE and peace and quiet this is the pla...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Alamitos
2 mi away
Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Orange County / Cypress
Best Western Los Alamitos Inn & Suites
Residence Inn Cypress Los Alamitos

Been to Don's Turf Motel-Los Alamitos? Share your experiences!