“Love the space in the room, think of this as "home"”

Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Los Altos
Kitchener, Canada
“Love the space in the room, think of this as "home"”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

When I'm here on business for a week at a time I LOVE having the extra space in my room that this hotel provides. No separate rooms for me, but there's an area for the bed with standard bathroom and clothes storage spaces. A small kitchen and very small kitchen table with 2 chairs, but beyond that there is a couch that could easily sit 4 and a long desk with far more elbow room and space for papers and supplies than a standard hotel room. Lots of plugs for electronics in different areas of the room as well. By Wednesday I was calling the place "home".

While the breakfast options are extensive I get very tired of the mass-cooked eggs after a couple of days. So this trip I wandered to the Safeway (at the next major intersection) and bought some eggs, butter, yogurt, ice cream, dessert, and fruit to keep in my room. I've used the eggs and frying pan to cook myself some eggs each morning, and started to bring back other breakfast items to my room from the breakfast in the lobby. I'm thinking of going back to the store for some fish and asparagus to have dinner on Friday. It would be even better if there were some cooking supplies and condiments in the room, olive oil, butter, ketchup, etc. Bringing them back from the breakfast supplies is one option.

The fitness center seems to be standard, and the equipment works well. There is a pool and hot tub, but they close at 9 and I haven't found been able to visit them yet. I do wish they were open later.

The cost of the hotel seems expensive, but in this area they ALL seem expensive. Dining out is also expensive, so cooking for myself is a way to save money overall. If I was traveling with my family this would be an even better cost savings.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Evelyn B, General Manager at Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for the very nice review of the hotel. We just did a room refresh, put in new furnitures in the rooms, and I am glad to hear that you like it. We are conveniently located where there's a lot of places to eat within walking distance , but if you love to cook, we'll be happy to pick up your groceries for you next time you stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Evelyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
South Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We checked in for one night and had to jet from SF back to LA.. We had a really nice experience with this Marriott property. The hotel provides happy hour with generous selections including a decent selection of wine and beer. After enjoying some appetizers, I really did not care to go out for dinner! Instead my husband and I searched for ices ( no where to be found) so settled for frozen yogurt. The room was spacious and appeared to be clean. Except the sheets on our bed.....ew! Stains all over and not just one or two; it was late and I did not want to be bothered with housekeeping. I resolved it myself and had a decent night's sleep anyway. The next morning when we checked out, I told the front desk my experience. They took some positive action. I would stay there again if I need to be in that area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I'm frequently in Palo Alto on business, and this Residence Inn and the Marriott Courtyard right down the street are my best places to stay. Close to the San Jose airport. Underground parking is easy, check-in is fast and good, quiet, clean they always have Wall Street Journals in the lobby in the a.m., the fitness facility is acceptable. The food at breakfast and cocktail hour is not very good, though, and there is no restaurant if you need a quick bite outside of the hospitality hours. I think I prefer the Courtyard for this reason.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hanford
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The staff is extremely helpful and very friendly. The room is clean and the area is a little bit away from the street so noise isn't a problem at all. The complimentary breakfast is really good they serve eggs, potato's and all the other basic breakfast items in the morning. Safeway is down the street and there's also a very very good Chinese restaurant walking distance from there. I highly recommend this hotel for any stay.

Room Tip: I recommend that you choose a room on the top floor to avoid hearing loud footsteps in the middle of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We used this hotel during Stanford U commencement weekend. Of course this is the hotel's busiest time of the year and rates were fairly high. Our two bedroom suite was on the 1st floor. In addition to basic room accommodations, the suite included dishwasher, range with oven, microwave, lounging area and gas fire place. While the rooms were clean and well cared for, the kitchen cabinetry and some of the appliances are dated. The furniture appeared to be newer. There were three flat screen TVs With other family members as guest, I noticed the same issue in other suites. It is as if there was a partial remodeling done in the past few years. Note that the one bedroom suites have a larger living area than the two bedroom suites which while large have a smaller sofa. The staff was the best, I made a small suggestion and the next day, they had implemented it. Parking is mostly underground with more than ample space even during this busy weekend.

Pluses: Great location (shopping and restaurants), parking is free, friendly staff, great breakfast (real eggs, breakfast meats and fresh fruit) compared with other hotels free breakfasts, free Wi-Fi which is slow but fine for email and web browsing, you can pay to get faster download speeds.

Minuses: Strange smell in our suite, didn't notice it in my relatives suites. Shower head was partially blocked due to aging. A few of the towels were a little dingy.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor which has walking paths right next to windows reducing privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingDishman
Thane, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Location;

Close to Palo Alto major technology campuses and at about 1 mile drive.

Rooms and Service:

All modern amenities are available. They also provide you with full functional kitchen area ideal for long stay and families. Ample parking available. Breakfast has decent spread with fresh items on the menu

Value for money

Would probably rate on the expensive side but it a good choice

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are more accessible
Green Features: They do try to save environment and have lots of instructions for the same.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've stayed here many times and the staff are the nicest people. Everytime you walk into the hotel, they greet you and ask what exciting things you've done today and are sincerely interested in the restaurants and events of the day. The breakfast staff are so efficient, cleaning your table when you get up to get seconds and always greeting you every morning with a great big smile. The rooms are always clean and roomy. Love this place

Room Tip: All the rooms are equally large. They have wine glasses in the room which was great after a long da...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
#10 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Residence Inn Palo Alto Los Altos? Share your experiences!