“not a place I'd visit again”
Review of Fish Grill of West L.A. - CLOSED

Fish Grill of West L.A.
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Got clam chowder here and was very disappointed.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I purchased a $10 for $20 worth of food Groupon for Fish Grill. Since I work nearby, I really wanted to try this place. The Groupon transaction went smoothly, however the food at this restaurant left something to be desired.

The decor is nice and very Fisherman's Wharf like, but the food was lack luster. I ordered the grilled fish taco plate with coleslaw and rice pilaf and a side of chips and salsa. My son ordered the fried fish taco plate with slaw and fries. We both agreed that the tacos were good. However, the slaw was a little dry and was made with Rye seeds. I personally hate Rye so this did not get eaten. The Rye seeds were a little overwhelming for my son and he could not eat his slaw. Their so-called Rice Pilaf was actually Spanish style rice with mixed veggies (like veg-all). The chips were made fresh and delivered to our table, piping hot grease and all! They literally took them out of the fryer and dropped them on to the plate. No draining of grease involved prior to serving. So it was more like Chips, Grease and Salsa. They were so hot you couldn't touch them for a few minutes and if you wanted to, you could probably sip the grease off the plate. Their large drink is actually a medium and their "Beverage and Salad Bar" contained absolutely no salad whatsoever. This actually made me laugh.

The large glass window that gives you a peek into the cooking area should be closed. The kitchen was a wreck. The scraps and charred remains of whatever they cooked last stayed on the grill, as did the slaw that was splattered all over the prep station, including on the fish. It appears that hunger took priority over cleaning because they abandoned the kitchen completely and decided to take lunch at the back of the restaurant and all at the same time. There was literally no one working.

If I head back that way, it will be only to pass it on my way to Rubios!

2  Thank Rsfloyd