“Were those double vodka tonics & was that doorman kinda cute ? ;)”
Review of Frolic Room

Frolic Room
Ranked #10 of 339 Nightlife in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Although this bar may appear shabby upon initial glance, this legendary dive attracts occasional celebrities among its many patrons.
Reviewed 14 August 2013

What a tiny little place with a tiny little entrance with a big door man across from the W Hotel. I thought to slip and have ONE little cocktail and maybe squeeze myself over to the juke box for a little classic rock and roll. Well, 5 hours, 20 something songs, 30 bad bar jokes, 100 interesting people, 10 social chats, 2 bartenders, 1 birthday party, 3 autographs, 4 beers, 3 vodka tonics, 2 phone number exchanges and 1 big hug to the big door guy, later..... I, all by myself, had the very, very best time. I rarely if ever go to "bars" at my age. Thank goodness, THIS place is not local for me, as I would surely be an official barfly in no time. I owe some guy from a rock band a beer and should have tipped the bartenders, more. I'll have to go back & do that one day. All ages, a must go. I never knew ages 21 to 61 could have an absolute blast in one room. Well, there it is. Frolic Room rocks.

4  Thank Sarah M
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Id seen the Frolic room a many times and had heard many stories from other local friends that it was an excellent dive bar. One night I strolled in to find a plethora of chill locals like myself, a juke box, and strong drinks. Smoke breaks out front were accompanied by the awesome doorman and funny drunks walking down the boulevard. Take it from an LA Native, best dive bar in Hollywood. Free entry, sometimes packed inside so you may have to wait for someone to come out to go in, but definitely worth it. Cheap beer too!

2  Thank Everythinginit
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stopped in here with some friends before attending a show at the adjacent Pantages Theater and we all really liked the place. This little hole-in-the-wall has a ton of local character and everyone was very friendly.
The mix of patrons seemed to be about half regulars and half tourists/theatergoers. There was a really nice older gentleman who told us a lot about the history of the venue, and talking to him was a great experience. He pointed out the recently restored historic murals inside the lounge and explained their significance.
This bar has one of the oldest liquor licenses in the city, and the crazy tales to go along with it. If you are in the neighborhood, I would definitely recommend a stop here!

1  Thank Velvet D
Reviewed 10 June 2013

After being recommended to go in the Frolic Room by a tour operater we decided to give it a try.It may look dingy from the outsied but is quanit and old fasioned on the inside.We were made welcome by the locals who were in there and the bar tender made a great cocktail for us. We had a good evening talking to the locals and learnt the history of the plave which wre told is still used by some of the stars for a drink as they do not get followed in by photographers who are syopped at the door. The mural on the wall is worth a good look I sepnt time trying to recognise all the characters on it. The music was good but not so loud that you could not have a conversation. Well worth a visit. The bar prices are cheap

1  Thank Jacqueline M
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My friend and I were visiting LA from Minnesota. We walked into the lobby of our hotel and thought it was way to fancy for us. So we hit the street and came upon a great doorman outside the Frolic Room. He was so inviting that we couldn't help but stop. We ended up making the Frolic Room our bar for the entire time we were there. The drinks were cheap and well made. The bartenders and staff were friendly and welcoming. We loved the other patrons. It felt like home to us. The only bad thing is that we likely won't be back to LA for many years to visit again.