“An Oasis In The Heart of Hollywood” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hollywood Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Hollywood Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 88 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“An Oasis In The Heart of Hollywood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was our second time staying at the Hollywood bed and breakfast. It is located in the heart of Hollywood, within walking distance of the clubs, restaurants and tourist attractions, but manages to still retain the charm and atmosphere of a private, quiet oasis. Nina and William are charming and attentive to your needs. Every detail is immaculate. Both times we have stayed in the Premier Room. It is absolutely perfect: clean, spacious, beautifully decorated. The bathroom is probably larger than my kitchen, flawlessly clean with handpainted ivy illuminating the walls. There is a giant Jacuzzi and walk in glass enclosed shower with a balcony outside the door. The bedroom is dreamy, with a king sized bed so comfortable you will definitely want to sleep in. And..yes, there is more -- a private patio next to a hideaway kitchenette complete with microwave, coffee machine and fridge.

Breakfast is laid out in the morning by seven, and William is there to offer tremendous information on places to see or just to have an interesting conversation. Food is a healthy mix of cereals, yoghurt, fruit and breads, and hard boiled eggs. If you want something a little more substantial there is the Grill, a few blocks down on Sunset Boulevard, and is a busy wonderful place to enjoy a large, delicious breakfast.

I feel that the Hollywood B&B epitomizes southern California with its artistic flourishes evident throughout the house and property, large swimming pool surrounded by flora and fauna, and incredibly helpful yet laid back owners.

If you want a true taste of hospitality and a great place to stay I recommend this wholeheartedly. I certainly plan to come back again next year.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coolangatta, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here early October for 7 nights relying on the reviews of others. What can I say but excellent. Right down to the supplying of bus passes and calling Taxis for us. Location is good - about 20min walk to the heart of Hollywood and a min walk to bus stops in either direction. Good. Clean. Convenient. 10 out of 10.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve M
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband and I spent six nights at Hollywood B&B in September. Our flight into Los Angeles had been delayed and we didn't reach the B&B until around 10.30pm. However, shortly after we had booked our stay we had received an email from William and Nina giving us our door code and a map of how to find our room, so it didn't take us any time at all to settle in. We stayed in the Comet Room which was spotlessly clean, the bed comfortable and some very welcome added touches such as chocolates, shampoo and handwash.
Breakfast was an absolute delight. A great selection of cereals and toppings, individually wrapped breads, miscellaneous spreads (even Vegemite, which was very welcome by two homesick Aussies), juice, yoghurt, fruit etc etc.
We were a little concerned when we first arrived that we would be a bit far away from everything without having a car, but we had no trouble whatsoever. The bus stop is a very short walk away and stops right outside the Metro station on Hollywood and Highland. And thanks to a very helpful map from Nina and William, we were able to walk to some excellent restaurants on Sunset Boulevard.
Hollywood B&B is a very unique B&B thanks to Nina's creative decorating talents. We really enjoyed our stay there and would certainly stay here again if we are in Los Angeles.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sueaussie
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nina & William were truly gracious hosts, helpful with tips on how to maximize our time in LA. We also enjoyed interacting with other guests from other parts of the world. Getting around was also quite easy. Breakfast was good and nutritious (we stayed 3 nights) but may get boring if we had stayed longer. The décor was a bit over the top but it's a matter of taste. Had a really good choice of books to read in our room - the Biarritz. It's not a hotel - it's a home.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed in this property recently during our family holiday on the US west coast. We landed in Los Angeles, and drove to our first stop - the Hollywood B&B. Very good location, close to the Hollywood attractions. However, as soon as you enter the house a strange and strong musty smell hits you. We discovered later that the smell was (most likely) from rotten wood created by sanitary water leakage from the bathroom of the Premier Room on the higher floor. When we mentioned this to the landlady Nina, she went into an angry denial mode, and actually wanted us to move out of the house. I have never experienced such unhospitable behavior from a B&B owner, having stayed in dozens of B&B's across the world. No apology from our hosts, no offer to make up, just a strong denial and a strangely rude, almost hostile attitude on our very first night of staying in this B&B. In fact, both me and my wife tried to be as adjusting and nice to Nina, trying to make up for our comments on the smell in case it had hurt her, though we didn't see why we cannot be entitled to give honest feedback as paying guests. The rooms are otherwise good, and the breakfast is nice, but we were made to feel like unwelcome guests, just because we had commented on what we felt strongly about. In fact the smell downstairs was so strong, all 4 of us in the family spent the 2 nights in the upstairs Premier Room, despite having booked and paid for 2 rooms (the other one downstairs) for 2 nights. (Of course, no offer of refund!). We actually had booked for 4 nights (2 nights plus 2 nights, with a break in the middle to go to Grand Canyon), but Nina was very clear that she did not want us back ! So we made frantic calls to hotels in a busy summer season, and luckily got a deluxe room in a 5-star hotel in Century City at a rate CHEAPER than Hollywood B&B. So we left for Grand Canyon, and returned in 2 days to stay at the hotel. In hindsight, this was a very good decision! ! If we are paying top dollars for a B&B, the least we expect is an odorless environment and warm hospitable hosts who are willing to accept guest feedback with humility.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Sarkars
HollywoodBandB, Owner at Hollywood Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
We are in our sixth year at Hollywood B&B and this is my first rebuttal to a guest's review. It was very disheartening to read, especially after this guest had told me he would never post a review about such a uniquely personal experience.

The short version is this:

The incident involved a "strong chemically odor" as this guest described it when he brought it to my attention, not musty, as is stated in the review. Only this guest and his family smelled this odor, no one else did. I, Nina, couldn't smell it and I have an extremely sensitive nose. I asked others' opinions, no one else could smell it. We had 18 guests coming and going that weekend, none of them had any odor complaints, nor have had any of the thousands of guests who have stayed at our B&B. One can't argue with the perceptions of another's nose, but not being able to determine what was problematic for this guest and his family, I was dumbfounded and very distressed. I have a somewhat overwrought sense of responsibility and take things very much to heart.

For a detailed description, please read on below. For a short-cut to what was at the root of this confounding incident, here it is: toward the end of the weekend it came to light that the temperature of the downstairs heater, which had been set to 68 degrees, had been clicked up to a temperature high enough to come on even on a warm afternoon. When a central heater comes on after a long period of non-operation (this was, after all, the middle of July), it does give off a peculiar chemically odor, which dissipates after about 15 minutes. This is a very familiar odor to me and had I smelled it, I would have known right away what it was. However, I didn't arrive on the scene until sometime after these guests had arrived. By then the smell would have dissipated. This could be a possible explanation of why these guests smelled something which no one else was able to smell.

Why was the temperature clicked up? Another mystery, perhaps, except that one of our guests was a rather adventurous 10 year old. We have added a lock box to the temperature controls of that heater.

I was wrong not to have sent an e-mail with this information to this guest at the time of realization and I apologize for that most sincerely, Nina.

The detailed version is as follows:

The reviewer and his family (4 guests total) had booked the Premier room with rollaway ($195 plus tax per night) and the Special Edition ($50 plus tax per night, this is the add-on room with single bed and without its own bath) for Friday and Saturday night, with a return to the same rooms the following Wednesday and Thursday. Both rooms are upstairs. Because of a scheduling change we upgraded these guests with the Regency room downstairs ($165 plus tax per night) at the Special Edition rate. The Regency has a queen-size bed with a rather large shower. So, this was a bonus worth more than $230 (adding in the tax). Before I realized how serious the odor complaint was, I agreed to keep their luggage during their three days' absence, although they had made no mention of such a request when the rooms were booked.

At first I was only surprised and perplexed by the questions regarding this very chemically smell and whether we had used an insecticide - we had not. Very quickly, though, I became alarmed by the adamant insistence that there was this smell downstairs, not upstairs. I was dumbfounded and at a loss of what to do, because I have a very sensitive nose and yet I couldn't smell what they were complaining about. So, I said that considering the situation and their apparent discomfort, they might not want to stay with us and I wouldn't hold them to any reservation agreement. Oh, no I was told, they would go for a walk and would be fine.

After about a couple of hours I went to the Premier room upstairs to bring them the public transportation information (they had not rented a car). The room was completely untouched. When I knocked on the Regency door downstairs, I found that the whole family had taken a nap there, where the smell was supposed to have been so bad. I was surprised about that and told them as much. I was told that they would sleep upstairs at night. I was confused and troubled by their actions. When I saw them outside later and asked how they were doing, I was told they liked sitting outside, that we had a nice garden.

I didn't sleep much that night. Our guests' comfort is paramount. I couldn't reconcile myself with this particular complaint, because I simply couldn't smell it. This was not feedback, this was a complaint and a huge issue for me.

The following morning I asked how things were. The answer was that they were "getting used to it [the smell]", not that it was gone, or that they couldn't smell it anymore, but that they were "getting used to it". That was the deciding factor for me - it was too much discomfort to live with. I said that if they wanted to stay Saturday night, they certainly could because on a weekend finding another place might not be easy, but if they did, cancellation would not be an issue. However, for their return on Wednesday it would be for the best that they stay elsewhere. Given how vociferous they had been in their complaint (including very loud voices from the Regency room that could be heard at the other end of the hallway), I thought they would gladly agree, but not so. Now this reviewer was adamant in that they needed to come back, that they were entitled to come back. It made little sense to me. We dissected the words "feedback" and "complaint" a few times and didn't come to terms. Finally, I shrugged my shoulders with "ok, fine, but for the three days you are gone, I don't want to have the responsibility of keeping your luggage." This is when the reviewer suddenly replied that if their luggage couldn't stay, then they wouldn't come back. So, next morning (Sunday) they left.

Both rooms were used, both bathrooms were used, both rooms contained luggage and belongings. The actual sleeping arrangements I'm not sure of, since there was also a rollaway in the Premier room. But, both rooms were serviced on Saturday morning, beds made, etc.

There was never a mention of "musty smell", as this guest states in his review, it was always a "chemically smell". Why that would change in the review, I don't know. There was also never a discussion or mention of any water leakage. At the time I really didn't know what it was all about. As regards a refund, having gotten a $230 plus bonus should figure in somewhere and, as I have stated, both rooms were definitely used by the family. Also, I certainly apologized, more than once, including shaking this reviewer's wife's hand when she left telling her how sorry I was for the difficulties.

I certainly struck out with these guests. We take feedback very seriously and are constantly working on improving our B&B. We clean, clean, clean all the time. There are mishaps: a handle falls off, a sink is too slow, a toilet gets plugged up, ants find their way into an opened cookie bag in a suitcase or to some dirty socks (yes, they love them), a maid forgets a cleaning rag in a room, a guest doesn't recognize an alcove for a closet though it has a luggage table and clothes rack, another guest has his own ideas as to how the cars should be parked, and another guest jokes about needing a table for the breakfast tray so she can open the door to the garden more easily.

So, we provide various sizes of ziplock plastic bags for ant safe storage, we put up a sign over the alcove in the Maverick "Welcome to Your Walk-In Closet", we put up a parking diagram on the front door, there is now a small table next to the patio door for temporary breakfast tray parking, we fix the handles and toilets and sinks.

We do not have rotten wood or lingering unpleasant odors. We go to great lengths even to minimize the hard-boiled egg smell.

We are an informal B&B. We do not have a front desk, nor a bell-hop. To allow for flexible arrival, we have a coded self-entry system which guests receive upon confirmation, as well as a map to their room. We do not demand payment before breakfast, although we do ask for it during the course of the stay.

We are not perfect, but we certainly strive to be.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Coming to the area for the first time, we had no idea where to stay. We are sure glad we chose the Hollywood Bed and Breakfast! It was easy to find and parking was included (which is hard to find elsewhere!). The entire house is so unique and each room is so different. We loved our stay so much the first time, that when we decided to come back the next year, there was no question where we were going to stay. The kitchen is huge and you are welcome to help yourself at your own leisure. It is a very welcoming and friendly environment. Also, there were a number of detailed maps that they provided to us with good restaurants, shopping districts or with must see attractions (super helpful for newcomers!). The location is great - we were able to easily walk to the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre and the Sunset Strip. We were only a short drive from Santa Monica and from Burbank where the Warner Bros. studios are located. Overall, this B&B is one of a kind - it's not only a must-see but a must-stay! In our experience, it's a Hollywood award winner!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura M
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We live in "the OC" (about an hours drive away) and decided to stay overnight after attending an event at the Hollywood Bowl. It was a unique choice - lovely rooms and a fun backyard. The only thing I was surprised at was the noise from Orange Grove Avenue! The house sits on a corner and cars, motorcycles and trucks drive by just like a freeway. It's not as noticeable from inside the house, but it is from the backyard. The place is well maintained and very comfortable and overall, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hollywood Celebrity Hotel
Hollywood Celebrity Hotel
#17 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,035 reviews

Been to Hollywood Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!