“I would stay here again”

Stay on Main Hotel and Hostel
“I would stay here again”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A friend and I stayed here for two nights in May 2014. I would stay here again if I visited L.A. The room was clean and tidy and there is a free continental breakfast (pancakes) in the morning. Sports was shown in the "cinema room" on request. Semmed like a good location in downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ross A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed for two separate reservations in 7 days. The first was for my best friend and I who traveled from NY for a concert in Disneyland & The Wiltern. We stayed 5 days and really enjoyed our rooms. The beds were comfortable, the room was orderly, and the staff was kind and accommodating. The free breakfast was a plus, and the location is perfect if your wanting to travel around LA. Buses run all around here so you can get anywhere you need. I felt safe here, and i believe the only downside was the bathrooms being so small. My friend left on the fifth day and i stayed by myself for two extra days. I booked a dorm room that i shared with one other person. She was really sweet and from australia no complaints there. The room was clean, and simple AKA Perfect. I didn't need much, and game room kept me entertained as well as the wifi. Overall this place was perfect for me. Given a few more years this place could become a 3-4 star hotel. Can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: This hotel accommodates couples, and solo travelers perfectly. Quiet Setting, and window view was gr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Olivia J
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been to over 70 countries and this was perhaps the worst experience I've had at a hotel - ever. The hotel is OK. The walls are thin and you hear your neighbours. Be prepared! The location is good, admittedly.

Upon checking out, however, we were presented with a "damages" charge of $125. To quote the bill - "Theft and damages - 1 duvet, 2 bed sheets, 2 towels. Pictures taken and can be found in camera".
Yes, there was some blood on the the sheets. The towels were used in case it got worse. Enough details. The fact that they claim this is "theft and damages" is ridicuous. Never have we been treated like criminals at a hotel. We couldn't even get someone to discuss the issue - would replacement even cost $125? I don't think so. Maybe a "cleaning" charge would be more appropriate, but even then many hotels would waive this because, quite frankly, these things happen...
So in the spirit of Stay on Main, I have taken pictures of the "theft and damages" invoice that I'm happy to show anyone (they're in my camera). If you want to be treated like a criminal, stay at Stay on Main.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David T

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

This review is for the private rooms only.

Stay on main is an extremely cheap hotel, simply put it no where else has these prices for a clean room!
The location is a bit confronting on your first day though...
Being from Australia, I definitely was not prepared for the vast number of homeless people in the DTLA. However, after a few hours of walking around you will gain confidence and it won't be an issue, just don't be obvious about being a tourist!

We also walked around the area late at night and it was still relatively safe, just be smart!

The hotel is extremely nice, clean and comfortable. The breakfast provided is basically just waffles, which are AMAZING. If you're wanting more, go to Cafe LA the next block over!
The rooms are clean and simple with a TV and if you pay for it a bathroom. (The shared bathrooms are private)

The metro station is only a 5-10 minute walk, which goes straight to Hollywood.

Overall, would recommend to anyone. The cheapest accommodation so far on my 3 month trip around America and was clean, safe and a nice place to stay in DTLA

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael R
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stay here if you are easy going and are happy with clean, modern, very quiet rooms.
Close to lots of great restaurants and the fashion district!
Ping pong is fun!
Go to Perch, roof top bar one night!! walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rowan H
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Luckily we only stayed one night as we were going on a cruise next day this is not a hotel more like a hostel the room they were putting us in was a shared toilet no way so we paid an extr 20dollars to get a toilet I would not have used the sower looked so grubby the room had a bad smell and was so drab my husband and I lay on top of the bed and kept our clothes on I certainly would not get in it we got out that room as quick as we could .in fact I was sick next morning and have not been sick since .give this hotel a wide berth disgusting

Room Tip: Don't know if they had any
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I came to Downtown Los Angeles for a convention, and am so glad I found the Stay Hotel. Usually, for business trips I stay at mid price hotels like Holiday Inn, or Courtyard Marriott. I was surprised at the high rates for hotels near LA Live (Staples Center) area, ranging $270-$440per night. Stay was the most affordable $89 per night.

The hotel staff was friendly and quick with service.

The room was simple but adequate for the price. Decent TV with cable channels

One complaint: Not all of the rooms come with a bathroom inside the room. I opted for the higher rate room which included a small shower head very close to the sink and toilet.
this was odd as it was only separated by a pull around shower curtain and yet still everything got wet, and the slow drain had almost 2 inches of water in the entire bathroom.

Because I only need quick showers for this trip it was sufficient. However, I would have been disappointed if I wanted to relax or take a bath.

Other fun perks were a cool lobby area with game room, movie room, and free breakfast.

Overall not a bad stay at Stay. I will probably stay here again

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business