“Very good utilitarian hotel”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #20 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for 4 days on a LA vacation. The location and service was excellent for going to the staples center and for taking the highway to other locations. Everyone was very attentive and courtious and would stay here again

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Lovely lobby. Lots of entertainment/restaurant choices in complex and nearby. Rooms furnished oddly - lots of storage but tricky if you want 2 people to dine en suite. Staff didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about the city. Asked the front desk (concierge had a long line) about approximate taxi fare for an 8 mile ride and was told to ask concierge.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is the second time I stayed here at the JW Marriott at LA Live. The first time was during a trip to the Emmy's. The hotel was very new and the service was lack luster at best. I was concerned that the hotel had adopted a stance that they were a LA destination property and that if you were staying at the Marriott and not the adjacent Ritz Carlton, you did not need good service. I did not write a review of the property though, as I figured with the Emmy's going on next door and the hotel being newly opened, I would give them a pass. On my second visit, this past week for the Espy's, I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of the sharpness I experienced at the hotel last time was replaced with a very professional tone. Also as an added bonus, a lot of the tenant space that had been mostly vacant has filled in, although the surrounding area is still mostly vacant. The parking is not very secure (open to the public), but unless you are worried about that... valet is not required. The parking is located beneath the hotel and very close (I Valet). I can not see my self staying at this property if I was not attending an event at LA Live or at the hotel, as you are not near any other LA attractions, but it is very convenient to the interstate if you can get a good rate and have a car. The hotel is on par with the adjacent Ritz. I have stayed at both properties and although the Ritz is clearly a step up. It is not worth the additional 200 a night. I was able to easily secure a nightly rate of $189.00, when booking in advance. This property tends to nail you, when you do not plan in advance, even if the hotel is empty. The concierge level is available Sunday Night through Friday Morning, but I was too busy to use it, other than swiping a few bottled waters. So if you have biz downtown near the Staple Center or LA Live and are not looking for warm-fuzzy, this hotel stands up with the best of the downtown LA hotel options. The hotel is all that a JW Marriott should be, but not as charming as the LA Biltmore.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I'm told that the JW Marriott is to "experience a new dimension of luxury in a hotel" - that's actually directly from their website. Unfortunately it was anything but. While the "exquisite architectural detail" was ok, the service was one of the worst experiences I've had in a 5 star hotel.

Let me list the issues:
1. We arrived late at night and I was standing with my wife and children and a large amount of luggage for about 12 minutes as no one from the hotel actually came and asked if we needed help with our bags (there was no one else on the driveway!). When they finally arrived by the time I checked in and got to the room it was close to 45 minutes.
2. As I was arriving very late to a suite with my family I had specifically requested that a cot to be set up prior to my arrival so I could quickly get my youngest to sleep - nope. When I asked at check-in a vacant stare was my response. I had to book and chase three times before they came - with a roll away bed and NOT a cot?!?!
3. They have a bar fridge with nothing in it. Ok, this is fairly standard for the US hotels, but when I ordered room service they got it wrong. First, the bottle of wine I ordered was changed because “they are changing their wine list” and the second time they left off an order
4. I went to breakfast and I was standing at the entrance waiting for someone to seat me in case this was the requirement (there is no sign by the way). After about 5 minutes I went and sat down. A lady came over to me and I asked to order and she said something to the effect, “oh, you’re sitting there, you walked straight past me” .
5. They have some funky pool thing going on for non-hotel guests. My wife went for a swim about 10:30 am and there were a bunch of drunk idiots jumping into the pool fully clothed multiple times and the staff did nothing about it. Then another time a bunch of near naked FAT people down from the pool were standing in the reception area being very loud (as they were drunk) and treating the small water/biscuit bar (that JW Marriott has there for convenience) as a buffet lunch?!?
6. They forgot one day to service my room?!? And had the gall to tell me "oh, you must have left the "do not disturb" sign on your door"!?!?

In short, very disappointing and I hope I never have to go to another Marriott in my life….

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank BizTravelerDeluxe
Reviewed 19 July 2011

If you were headed to Los Angeles for a convention at the LA Convention Center, look no further for a hotel. This hotel is walking distance (5 min). It also seems that this hotel was designed for the business professional or "suit" that is only use to staying at the best when travelling for business. No this is not the Holiday Inn or La Quinta, and if you are used to staying at those other properties for business, then this is not for you.

The front desk is right as you enter so you don't have to go through a maze to find it. Behind the front desk you will find a well-lighted, spacious grand lobby that is setup for easy networking with other business professionals. There is a coffee shop, two bar areas, and a restaurant all located at the lobby floor.

The rooms are clean, new, and modern with all the latest amenities like a large flat screen with HD channels, to crisp goose down pillows and comforters. There is a large desk with easily accessible outlets to plug in all your devices. You do however have to pay for wireless connectivity... The bathroom lighting takes a little getting used to, however you never run out of bathroom amenities (shampoo, etc.).

There is a large pool to do laps and spacious gym for that early morning workout. The hotel restaurant is spendy for the selection and quality, however you will find a few good alternatives right outside the rear entrance - Wolfgang Puck & Katsuya (sushi). Care to watch a game while in town? Staple Center, home of Kobe Bryant and the LA Lakers, is right across the street from this hotel.

What else could have been a good addition? The Wall Street Journal outside my front door every morning...but I guess that this may have required a Marriott membership.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Stayed here for a convention. On the south end of downtown now re-named South Park. New hotel. Very clean. Comfortable bed. Choose the rooms facing the LA Live to avoid the street noise. Walk to the nearby Raleys Market for great in room food and beverage. Walk to the Y or Golds Gym for a full service gym. Walk north to see the great LA arcitecture. Skip the high end expensive chains near the hotel. Yes, LA Live with its huge neon billboards is bizarre and annoying. But as a finnicky traveller, I liked everything about this hotel and the staff was very accomodating. Convention rate no bargain but I like new and clean.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is your typical down-town business hotel. Attending a conference in the LA Convention Center the hotel did a good job providing the proximity needed. The hotel is new, modern and fresh, but the service and décor also makes it feel very unpersonal. If you have business down-town or are attending a conference this is a good pick. This is not the place you bring your kids, wife or friends.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business