“Needs improvement in some areas”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights this past week.

First the positive:
Front desk and concierge service is top notch. Rooms are spacious and clean. The location Is great if you are attending an event.

Areas that need serious improvement:
The service in both the lobby lounge and the mixing longe is absolutely terrible. On a Monday evening we went to the mixing lounge and sat at a table (the bar was full but the seating area only had 8 people seated) and waited for approximately 10 minutes to order. There were 2 waitresses working but seemed to be more interested in talking to each other than serving customers. I finally went to the bar and ordered. In the hour I was seated at a table not 1 of the staff asked if I would like anything else or even approached me. this is unacceptable particularly when you are paying top $$ for cocktails. The lobby bar is not much better.

I was also really disappointed in the housekeeping service. I left my room at approx. 1 PM and saw that housekeeping was servicing the adjacent room. I returned to my room at 5PM and the room had not been cleaned. I spoke with the front desk and they acted like it was no big deal and they would have someone service it. I'm sorry but at $300+ a night it was a big deal to me.

The gym is great but he again the staff really need to work on their customer service skills. Too long of a story to bother with...

For $300+ a night there should be free internet service for all guests in their room.

Also, be aware that overnight parking charges are ridiculous at $40 per night.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank tjjlucas
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Conveniently located near the convention center and Staples arena, this 18 month old hotel leaves little to be desired. A courteous and gracious staff welcomes visitors to a striking contemporary lobby atrium. Guests may access several food and drink emporiums located around or in the lobby atrium. Spacious, quiet, large, and well appointed bright rooms with ample work space characterize offerings. As a media geek I appreciated the media center connections and large screen HD TV. The large and well outfitted fitness facility has a wide variety of equipment. The hotel's web site has an excellent gallery of photos that unlike my photos do justice to the properties' beauty. A comfortable bed, refrigerator and coffee maker and a safe in the room make for a comfortable stay.
Best description of the property is attention to detail.

Room Tip: The rooms on low floors do not require the room key be used in the elevators to gain access to the f...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Richard V
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I had a very good stay at the JW Marriott while I was in town for the LA Half Marathon in late October. The hotel is modern and clean, and my room was big, quiet, and comfortable. The bed was just right - not too soft and not too firm. I noticed a hum from the air conditioner, but I just turned it off at night since it the weather was so mild.

Everywhere in the hotel, I found the staff to be helpful and very courteous. They made for a pleasant stay.

The shower head seemed to be of the water-saving variety, but there was adequate water pressure for a good, hot shower. I noticed LED lighting in the hall outside the elevator on my floor, and presume the hotel was built to modern energy-saving standards.

The rooftop pool looked very really inviting, but I didn't have time to use it. At 5pm on a warm Saturday it was surprisingly empty.

I had been skeptical that the convenient LA Live location would be noisy and crowded, but it was fine. Driving to and from the hotel was no worse than the rest of downtown LA, and I felt very comfortable walking around the neighborhood.

The parking valet person told me I'd get a discount on parking because I drove a hybrid car, although at checkout they missed the discount so I had to remind them. All downtown LA hotel parking is expensive, so I was thrilled to get a substantial discount. The valet pickup area was very busy, but the wait to get my car was less than 10 minutes.

While nearby hotels like the Millennium Biltmore offer great old world charm, this JW Marriott is a great contemporary hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Checked out on a Wednesday morning, by that afternoon someone started using the credit card I had used at the Marriott attempting large charges and accessing my credit report. I was called by the credit card company on Thursday asking about charges which I confirmed were fraudulent and the card was cancelled. I called the hotel, not to accuse them but to alert them that they may have a rogue employee or a security breach. I thought I was doing them a favor, but they just stonewalled and assured me it could not be their fault. Well, even though they put me on hold for five minutes I don't think they had time to investigate the matter and I got the impression that I was considered a nuisance for bringing it up. They asked me what i wanted done; I told them make a note and pass it along to security. That had never occurred to them. It also took them ten minutes just to find the record of my stay so I don't have much faith in their computer skills and they refused to let me speak to anyone in management above desk level.

Again, I am not making any accusations against the hotel, but I think their customer skills in handling the situation were considerably less than professional.

So this is a five star hotel with one star service.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MontanaTraveler1111
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We had a fantastic stay. The rooms were very clean, pleasant staff, nice restaurant, the 4th floor rooftop pool was great, and it's in a great area! Easily walk to several restaurants, cinemas, shopping, the Staples Center, Nokia Theater etc...

The only thing that surprised us was if you have a car, it's $40 to park/day; they only have valet parking and the closest parking structure charges $30, isn't open 24 hours and you would have to move daily.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The JW is a great location for downtown LA, whether it be for business or for events at the Staples, Nokia and other venues. The hotel is customer friendly and the rooms are large and nicely furnished with great bathrooms. There are lots restaurants all around the vicinity and the area is safe and friendly.

We stayed as we were settling my daughter into FIDM which is just around the corner. Walking up town to the financial and shopping areas is also not a problem. Santa Monica is easily acceptable with the freeway adjacent and the airport is a 20 mins (weekend) $50 ride away.

Room Tip: Include the breakfast in the rate...its VFM compared to buying seperately.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Just returned from a three night visit at this hotel, where we stayed while we attended Family Weekend at the University of Southern California. For anything USC-related, this hotel would be hard to beat; it's maybe a mile straight down Figueroa to campus. Many of the other reviews have captured the essential pros and cons of the place (good room sizes, all of the restaurants and activity associated with LA Live, cool design factor, good TVs, etc.). The reason I knocked a star off of my review this time was the extra charge ($12.95 per day) for wireless internet service, which in late 2011 I believe is a straight-up ripoff, and the fact that the general level of maintenance / upkeep / housekeeping was not, for me, at the 5 star level. Rest assured that none of the issues would keep me from staying here again - and I probably will - but just a little thing here and there could have been better.

But overall a terrific choice for downtown LA.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family