“Yes, a hotel I actually like”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Yes, a hotel I actually like”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I am a very hard person to please when it comes to hotels. Read my other reviews.

I had a room that overlooked LA Live. So here are my reasons for the 5 rating!!

1 - Excellent service. I live in LA, and trust me, to find nice people that are so accommodating, is hard. They have done an excellent job of finding a great staff.
1 - CLEAN - When you walk in, it's clean enough to walk on the carpet without your shoes on. I know, a rare thought in a hotel room. But it's kept clean to a very high standard, and you do have that comfort level.
1 - Ultra modern. Very modern furnishing, and all still appear to be in good condition and new.
1 - Bed - the bed is so comfortable. It's almost as nice as the heavenly bed that the Westin group uses.
1 - General overall satisfaction.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get a suite. The view is better.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SYTrips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 9 February 2012

This hotel is centrally located and walking distance to multiple restaurants and entertainment locations. My room had a great view of the pool and the Staples Center. I also utilized the gym, which being a regular traveler I see plenty, was well laid out and supplied with everything one would need. The staff was great and handled my 950 coworkers taking over their hotel very well. The meals planned for us were great and always fresh. The hotel was also laid out in a manner that allowed us to take over the hotel without disrupting the other guests.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Providence, RI
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a typical Marriott product with a great location in LA. Breakfast in LA Market was mediocre and somewhat expensive for what you received. The noise level when concerts are happening is the greatest drawback of this property - I was on a high floor and I could hear the music until 11 p.m., which is not good when it's a weeknight and you just want to sleep early. The front desk clerk I spoke to upon checkout expressed regret that I didn't call her and get the free earplugs. ;-)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Seattle
Reviewed 5 February 2012

the JW is the place to stay if you are doing anything at Staples Center or Nokia Theater. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. Rooms are comfortable; staff is really pleasant and helpful. Now if they could just fix up the rest of downtown LA...

Would have given them an excellent but internet access was 12.95 a day and very sketchy.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor and be sure to shut the black out curtains... it is a bit like Times Square out...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KMB33
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed for a Concert at Nokia Theater. Room was very trendy and functional. Rooftop pool was nice but needed more furniture. The pool was packed with mostly drunks reminding me of a Spring Break movie. I had my adult children with me, but don't think I would bring small kids to this Hotel. Massive Lobby area with one tiny Cafe to buy Coffee with a huge lineup. Ended up going out to the Starbucks at LA Live just outside the door. Staples Center is also there about a 3 minute walk. Would stay again for an event.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Krusty_pops
Ventura, California
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My hubby surprised me for my birthday weekend. Rented the corner suite on the 21st floor. The view is awesome. The room is huge. The furniture is ehh, just okay and I felt there just wasnt enough furniture to fill the room. There's a sofa by the windows and a mod chair. A desk. Two chairs by the window facing the freeway, a closet and the bed. It definitely was not a plush room. Maybe it's all about the view. I dont know. The bed was very comfortable.
We had dinner at WP24. The food can be compared to PF Changs but double the price.
Breakfast was included in our room rate so we also had breakfast at the LA market on the first floor. I had french toast. It was very bland. My hubby had blueberry pancakes. Also very bland.
We had stayed the night to see the Michael Jackson Immortal show. The show was awesome.
I would stay at the hotel again for the convenience.

Room Tip: Top floors are the best
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m2347m
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This hotel is what you would expect of a newer Marriott property. The rooms are a decent size. The style was updated and had a little edge. The internet was $12/day. Seriously, who still charges? We were there for a conference and they expertly handled the large amount of traffic. It is right in the center of LA Live and it's restaurants. Room service came quicker than they quoted me. Nothing too exceptional but nothing to complain about. I'd return.

• Stayed January 2012