“Christmas Get A Way”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I decided to have a romantic get a way before the Holidays. The JW is a wonderful property. The room was great and very well decorated. Lobby was festive and the Christmas tree was a great photo opportunity.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here for a conference which happened to coincide with the premiere of the Hunger Games Catching Fire. I was on the 17th floor, but the party sounded like it was right outside my room. A fire alarm went off in the morning forcing me to walk down the 17 flights of stairs. The lobby plays an endless loop of all the parties put on in the LA Live area, which I suppose is supposed to impress people. On the plus side, the rooms were nicely appointed and spacious. Stay here if you're caught up in the Hollywood or celebrity scene, but otherwise, look for somewhere quieter and less pretentious.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is one.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We used valet parking for a recent stay (because you have to). We parked the car on Saturday and picked it up on Monday. When we were on our way home, we discovered that an iPod and auxiliary cable were missing. I called the hotel, and they emailed me a claim form. I filled out the form and sent it to Maarco & Associates in Woodland Hills, the claims administrator for the parking lot. They said that their sign at the front says they're not responsible for items left in the vehicle, so they're off the hook. I thought it was interesting that the hotel told me that "This stuff hardly ever happens--this stuff never happens." Hmm. I hope the valet's kid liked his/her iPod they got for Christmas.

No complaints about the hotel itself. It's great, but the parking situation sucks.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We loved this hotel. Stayed here 27th dec for 1 night. Check in was quick & pleasant, room lovely, view not great, shower not bathtub, just what I wanted. We went & had a drink in the bar to toast our visit to LA, expensive, but worth it for the ambience, service & great Christmas decorations all around. When we went out to eat that evening it was magical to step out the door straight out to the Tree, skating rink 7 hundreds of people looking at all the lights & enjoying the holiday. We had breakfast next morning, great menu choices, we all enjoyed it.
We would stay in this hotel again as we enjoyed everything about it.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were visiting LA for 3 days and had tickets for a concert at the Staples Center which is why I chose this hotel. The hotel was perfectly placed for attending the concert and there are a number of places to eat in the LA Live area, we all enjoyed the Yardhouse.

The pool was very clean and great for a morning swim. We didn't eat in the hotel as both the food and drink prices were fairly expensive.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.

From a tourist perspective we found it easy to get to Hollywood on the subway. It's a 10 min walk to the subway station and the area felt safe enough.

There is also a regular bus service that goes out to Santa Monica. The stop is a couple of blocks from the hotel so very convenient.

If we hadn't been attending a concert at the Staples Center then I wouldn't have chosen this area as a tourist. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the JW Marriott and would recommend it if you need to stay in downtown LA.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have not been in LA for a number of years, but was pleasantly surprised at my stay with the JW Marriott at LA Live. The room was large, bathroom and shower outstanding, the service was great, and the location was the best you could ask for. Staples Center is 50 yards away, great restaurants, shopping and people activities were included in the LA Live center. This is the only place to stay.... Our experienced was made even better when the Michigan State Spartans won their game in dramatic fashion, to take home the 2014 Rose Bowl. All things considered, this was the place to be.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at the JW for 5 nights on the second leg of a wonderful Cali vacation - right before the Michigan /Stanford Rose Bowl Game. Needless to say - the Michigan energy at the hotel was at a fever pitch. Despite all this I would like to report a remarkable instance of customer service. On Dec. 31st, our daughter met us at the hotel ready to hike up to the Griffith observatory - highly recommended. I had a backpack, fanny pack etc. At the start of the hike I noticed that the fanny pack with my drivers license, cash and Amex card wasn't there. Must have left it at the hotel? Went on the hike, had a fabulous meal in Los Feliz, toured downtown LA, finally making it back to the JW around 4pm. Went to the room - no fanny pack - flying out the next day. There was a message on the phone - lost and found had an item they thought belonged to me! The gal brought my fanny pack to the room - she said one of the bellman brought it to the front desk and they turned it into her. Wow. Customer service is alive and well at the JW in LA. I can't thank you enough for a wonderful stay which could have had a very stressful ending. Happy New Year!