“Charges for rooms 3 weeks ahead through reservations said opposite”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #20 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2014

When I reserved two rooms here for a conference the end of April, the website said there was no deposit needed and that cancellations could be made up to 24 hours before check-in and no fee would be charged. If cancellations were made after the 24 hours, one night would be charged to my credit card. Imagine my surprise when, three weeks before check-in, one night for each room was charged to my card and I received an email that I could get a refund on the charges only if the rooms were cancelled at least 72 hours before check-in. I called the hotel and was sent to 'Customer Care' for the Marriott. I was told that the hotel would need to reverse the charges, customer care could do nothing, so I was transferred back to the hotel. The hotel told me they would only reverse the charges if I cancelled the reservations or gave them another card to make the charges to. For a $230 per night hotel this is outrageous 'customer service'.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ccrocks

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Took my son to his first Lakers game at the Staples Center. What a great location nestled up to LA Live. LA Market is in the hotel lobby. Staff is great and this is the Marriott experience you expect. You are sure to see a movie star or two while you are here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend a hockey game at the Staples Center to see the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the LA Kings.
This is a fantastic, well appointed hotel, but with a very easy going staff.
We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Booked for 5 nights but have to cancelled the other 2 nights and switch to another hotel. I arrived late and the check in speed was fast and the front desk agents describe the room is excellent at high floor with Hollywood view and it's turnout direct wall view and the rooftop from next door building that is what I have see. Anyway I don't care that much with the view cause I will spend most of the time outdoor. I have noticed the furniture is very cheap exactly like those from Ikea...JW Marriott seriously?? Have been stayed with a lots of JW before and use to be one of the associate for the company pretty much know the standard. The location was very good if you plan to go for one of function in Staples Centre or business and it's also close to subway which is about 10 mins walk. The down side of the area is full with hobo and $1 bums. Room amenities is very basic nothing special just not at JW standard lack with a lots of small things which is make the new Courtyard by Marriott look more luxury. Tap water have too much chlorine after shower feels like just jump out from swimming pool same as the linen.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
anna l, Sr Admin Asst at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the best guest experience possible. Whenever we receive a review that indicates an opportunity to improve, we truly take your honest feedback seriously, in order to better meet your needs in the future. We hope that you will stay with us again, and we will be able to provide you with better services. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights while attending a tournament at the LA Convention Center. It is minutes from the LACC so that was perfect. Check in was smooth and the room was decent and well equipped (coffee maker and tiny fridge in the room). The city views from the room were lovely and the view from the WP24 lounge (in the adjacent Ritz... you don't leave the hotel to access the WP24 restaurant) were excellent.

Shopping at the hotel is virtually non-existent. The little shop has so little to offer and what they did wasn't good quality or appealing. Limited food-for-purchase options in the hotel but lots of food options out the door at LA LIVE. The worst part of the stay was the $42 overnight parking charge and getting out the day we left was a zoo (loooooooong wait for the valet). The best part of our stay was the service.

I had an issue with a problem in my room. The young man at the front desk (Christian) was very sweet and polite. He just didn't have the authority to do much about the problem I encountered. I asked him to find a manager and while I was waiting, I saw a nice-looking man in a business suit carrying a power drill. I thought he was slightly overdressed for a handyman but it turned out he was one of the managers. So, not only does this guy actually fix things around the hotel, he's a super nice and helpful person. Once he heard about my problem, he handled it expertly. He made me feel completely understood and was so sympathetic, I felt validated and appreciated as a customer. His name is Todd Thompson and he should give customer service lessons to everybody in the service industry. Great job, Todd! I'll be back!

One last thing, we were there during two earthquakes. Up on the 19th floor, you really felt the building move. It wasn't a scary feeling, I felt secure knowing the building was relatively new and built to the latest code requirements. You could feel the sway so you knew the building was most likely on rollers and built from flexible materials designed to bend (not break) in the event of a quake.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank victoriacr63
Reviewed 28 March 2014

In the Marriott chain the JW is considered the flagship. I was looking forward to staying at the JW Marriott at LA Live during a recent event there and was sadly disappointed in many aspects. While the front desk staff was exceptional my room was right next to the freight elevator (those with no Marriott status had beautiful rooms with great views and no elevators that ran all night), the towels were thin and the bar service in the lobby was atrocious and bordering on non-existent. The set up for the conference attendees to eat lunch was the worst I have ever encountered across any hotel chain. When next in LA I will choose another hotel - that will no doubt cost less and have better service.

Room Tip: When checking in ask if you are being placed next to the freight elevator!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
anna l, Sr. Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear DRPMI,

Thank you for choosing the JW Marriott Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE during your recent visit to Los Angeles.

We sincerely thank you for your honest feedback in regards to our hotel. We are glad to hear our front desk staff was exceptional, although your room location was not the best accommodating. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Also, we have noted the comment in regards to our towels and bar service in the lobby with the Leaders in the Housekeeping and Food&Beverage Departments. Please, know that we take your comments very seriously as it helps us improve our services in the future. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel, and show you a different experience from your past one. Thank you.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I frequently travel and love JW hotels and had gold status at that time and always get great upgraded rooms for free. This trip was just a weekend getaway with the family and I definitely wasn't impressed with the rooms here. First, I got no upgrade and the rooms were a bit dated and small. The lounge is not open on Sundays( I believe that's what day it was.)
The area was nice if you are going to a game at Staples Center (excellent) or its x-mas time and lit up outside with ice rink and restaurants in LA Live. Other than that, not much around within walking distance to do besides eat. We did walk to metro easily and went to Hollywood though.
The hotel did look nice and the rooftop pool was amazing. Everything was clean and lobby, bar was nice. To me they were just average rooms though. You could hear through the walls and kids were running around screaming in the hallways. (not the hotels fault though)
However when we checked out, the girl had asked how our stay was and I was honest and said that I was use to better from JW. She took money off the bill since the lounge had been closed and was shocked that no one offered me an upgraded room for my status and appreciated me being a loyal customer and wanted me to continue being happy and took a lot of money off my bill. I was shocked and very happy.
I would stay here again when I go to a game but I will be sure to get a better room up front. I would have gave it an AVERAGE rating based on the room itself but I gave it a VERY GOOD rating instead based on the treatment I got when checking out and everything else was nice outside of my room door. I'm sure if I had got an upgraded room, I would have enjoyed it more!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family