“Spacious, clean and tasteful rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #23 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Spacious, clean and tasteful rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The rooms are very spacious, quiet and clean with stunning views of LA if you ask to stay on higher floor levels. The entrance and public spaces are impressive and modern. During the week I stayed there, we spotted several great sports athletes among the guests. The pool area was great too. Altogether a cool and agreeable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, which is what you'd expect from a JW. We had a corner room with a view of downtown and the Hollywood sign. The room was spacious and well appointed. Mi loved the bathroom with it's huge tile shower. It got super steamy & stayed toasty warm because it's almost completely enclosed in glass.
We booked our room there because 1. I am a Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Member 2. Because of close proximity of the StaplesCenter (we were catching a Lakers game that night)
The Dallas Mavericks were their opponents and stayed in JW as well. We saw the players throughout the hotel. I would have to bet that all opposing teams (as well as a wide variety of stars) stay here or the Ritz Carlton (which is adjoined.)
The lobby is beautiful. There are many places to dine within the JW & Ritz as well as a great selection right outside at LA Live. We had a wonderful dinner at Wolfgang Pucks, which was a 2 minute walk, OUTSTANDING service at the bar of WP 24 at the Ritz Carlton & a delicious, healthy breakfast at the LA Market restaurant in the JW, the following morning.
I highly recommend booking this hotel if you are going to be in the LA area.
Oh but one tiny drawback, if you don't want to hear any noise from the street, ask for a quiet room... Ours was right on the street on a Fri night, after an NBA game. It was busy until about 3am, we were on the 10th floor & could hear it all. Didn't bother us, but it can definitely get on your nerves if you're wanting a quiet night.

• Stayed April 2014
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

JW is one of the best hotels i've ever stayed in! the staff members are very nice and is always willing to help you. the rooms are clean and the view up top is overlooking the Staples Center and Nokia Plaza which really gives you a nice feel of Los Angeles, especially for first time visitors like me. It is also convenient if you're trying to catch a Lakers/Clippers game as it is literally walking distance and across the street from the arena.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I rarely like staying at a Marriott, but we stayed at the JWMarriott at L.A. Live because of a business function there and liked it a lot. It's really quite nice and the employees were very service-oriented. On check-in, we were immediately upgraded to a large corner king room on a high floor. It included a foyer and wide hallway that probably made it twice the size it otherwise would have been. The room was very nicely appointed and had a large windowed bathroom. We never heard noise from the freeway below or from another guest.

Nice as it is, the hotel is not for everyone. It's in the L.A. Live sports/concert/convention complex with the Staples Center and Nokia Theater. Jumbotrons and lights galore. I found the surrounding area to be a bit sketchy in places. I can see staying there for a concert or sports event at the complex or, as we did, for a function at the hotel, but probably not otherwise.

Negatives included the bed and pillows, which is surprising for a newer hotel. We woke up with backaches. Also, being a Marriott there is a junk charge for wifi, and luxuries like a shower cap (really guys??) are by request only.

Room Tip: High floor corner room is perfect. The freeway side was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tuscaloosa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Great Location, Great Service, Beautiful and Comfortable Hotel. Across the street from the Staples Center, where the Lakers and Clippers call home. The downtown area has been revitalized and this hotel in the center of the action. The concierge service is fantastic. The check-in and check-out process very efficient. Within walking distance of many great restaurants.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We only came for 1 night to see Miami v Clippers so we wanted to stay here since it is across the road from the Staples Center. We were upgraded to a suite and it was massive - we had a dining table in our room! Absolutely amazing :) thank you JW Marriott!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

It was an awful experience staying at this hotel. I wanted to make sure that I booked at a really nice place to stay for my husbands birthday while we stayed in LA. It was a disaster right from the start. I tried calling the hotel a few times before I actually got there and it only took about 5 calls before someone finally answered. When I get to the hotel I stand in line and was next in line, one of the staff become available so I assume she will call me when she is ready. I waited about 5 mins before I end up walking up to her desk. She dies not speak to me except to ask what I needed. She does not give me very much detail on how to connect to the internet or asked me if I had any questions. I get to my room which was nice but that was the it the service at this hotel is horrible. My internet worked for 15 minutes before it stopped worked called guest services 4 times before someone answered and she said they only had 2 people working so if I could be patient? She could not fix my internet and said she had to transfer me to tech support. I waited on hold and when I did get a hold of someone he wasted 15 minutes of my time as he was not able to fix it. He suggested I try again in a few hours... I was planning on going to bed. He ends up calling me a hour later and was still not able to fix it. I also ordered room service and did not get the ice cream or fries I ordered. I call guest services again it was the 3 rd call before someone answered and she said they would be right up. When the guy came to the door he only had the ice cream I said the fries were missing and he said he already delivered the fries.... I said he could look at the cart as there were no fries... He did not bring me the fries he claimed he already did. I felt so uncomfortable and really wish I had not stayed here i expected so much more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
anna l, Sr. Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Sherilyn C,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the best guest experience possible, and we apologize we were not able to meet expectations during your stay. Whenever we receive a review that indicates an opportunity to improve, we would love to know more about what happened, in order to better meet your needs in the future. Please know that we have shared your feedback with the appropriate departments to ensure proper measures are taken to fix the issues. We hope that you will stay with us again, so we can provide you a flawless stay. All the best.