I am a loyal Marriott Rewards Member so I am always looking for "deals" for a weekend getaway through the Elite Program. Downtown LA (DTLA) is a great destination even though I live only 45 miles south of Los Angeles. This is the 5th time I have stayed at the hotel and it never disappoints. Look for packages and special promotions - it will most likely be cheaper and it may even force you to get out of the room and explore LA Live and the downtown LA area. We opted for the package that included GRAMMY Museum + Regal Theater + Valet + $50 hotel credit + Deluxe King Room. The room was AMAZING (room 1576). It was an end unit and windows wrapped around the entire large room. The bathroom window wall (yes I said window wall) looked over Nokia Theater and Staples Center as well as the pool. The gym was really nice (they even supplied headphones which was a nice touch) and the $50 credit was perfect amount for a nice room service breakfast. Staff is always great and we always end up at the lobby bar for a nice drink and great people watching (it was the Clippers Playoff Game and FIFA World Cup Trophy Tour so lots of people in the lobby bar!). Make sure you venture out downtown. We love our favorites:
- Bottega Louie is a loud hip restaurant with great upscale pizza/salads/entrees and drink (don't forget all the macaroons and decadent desserts)
- Mas Malo for Mexican Food - ask for "chewy chips" if want something new!
- Seven Grand (a MUST for handcrafted whiskey drinks - ask the bartenders to make you something off menu - you won't be disappointed!)
- Golden Gopher - Cold beer and a great jukebox (trust me!!!)
- Cana Rum Bar (rum bowls, rum bowls, rum bowls)
- Rivera (great menu)
- Alma (make sure you make reservations in advance)
- El Cholo Cantina (wicked Cadillac Margaritas and guacamole)
- Cole's or Philippe's (The Original French Dip Sandwich). My favorite is Cole's (love the atomic pickles!)
You also have your pick from all the "chain" restaurants in LA Live, but our suggestion is to explore the restaurants in downtown - not as many tourists and better food/drink. Tip: for a great view go up to WP24 (located in Ritz Carlton) for appetizers/drinks. Also, catch a performance at Orpheum Theater - it is a great venue to see anyone perform!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.