“Surprised”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were in la to visit the college my child will be attending in the fall. I didn't expect the jw to be as nice as it was, given the location and how busy it is. The check in was so quick and easy. We arrived before the 4pm check in and our room was ready. The front desk person was very helpful giving us info on what was going on in hotel and answered all my questions. Our room was nicely appointed and very clean! There are notices in the room letting you know about recycling, if you care to use your towels more than one time and how often they change bedding. Our room was roomy enough beds were comfortable. Pillows were a little too hard for us. I appreciated the fact that guests needed to use a room key to get to a floor on the elevator. The jw is extremely busy with conventions and what ever is going on at the staples center, so there are people there that are not guests. The hotel has several good places to eat and drink. The pool is rooftop, clean and great views. There is a rooftop Wolfgang Puck restarant and more casual cafe. We happen to be there for the NHL championship. There were so many people there but it was totally fun. The bar/restarant in the hotel was great. Staff seemed to have things under control and service was still good. When the crowd spilled out onto LA Live they closed for about 20 minutes cleaned up and opened up again not missing a beat. Our checkout was just as easy everything was in order. There is a kiosk where you can check in with your flight and print out boarding passes. If I have one minor complaint, it's that when we arrived no one asked if we needed help with our luggage.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dana3225

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stay Saturday night! Went to see a concert at the Nokia La Arrolladora Banda El limón de Maztlan Sinaloa Mexico! From the moment Juan valet man open the door of my car to the moment I got back in my car! Everyone! every hotel employee I came across where super friendly and always with a great smell! I felt at home! Did not want to leave! BEST hotel staff! Visit Juan and Greg at the lobby bar the best! Perfect weekend thank you JW Marriott ! Oh ya the hotel is super cool !

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bolochito454
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was lucky enough to stay at this hotel for a work conference. This hotel is absolutely beautiful and just totally LA. The check-in very painless. There is a Ritz that is attached to this hotel also. The hotel is on "lock down", so if you have friends wanting to visit you, they need a key to get up to the rooms.

Some of the rooms have walk-in showers. I would ask for a room with the walk-in shower, as they are really big and nice water pressure.

Room Tip: There are lots of neon lights, so if that may bother you, ask to stay away from them. The shades in...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jmcki60811
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I would like to say outside of a few minor problems (mainly with the valet retrieval) this is probably one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. The whole hotel is part of the LA Live complex and it is something just to walk out the back of the hotel right into an entertainment complex, now if you are attending something at the Nokia Theater or the Staples Center it doesn't get any more convenient then this place. The rooms are very nice and for being a big hotel it is relativity quite as we were there when the Kings Won the Cup and outside of the roar of the crowd when they won it was not too bad and there were thousands right below us in the plaza (we had a room facing the Staples Center) so unless you are there on such a night it should be very quite. The lobby is like arriving at the airport, there is energy in the air and plenty of things going on around you, also there are plenty of dining choices and a theater right next door. Now the negative to the hotel is if you have a car you HAVE to valet park the car ($42 a night) and the retrieval process needs some work, we called down and were told that the car would be ready only to find out we had to wait an additional 15 minutes to get the car; now I understand I am not the king of the hotel and there are other folks staying there to, but when you call 30 minutes in advance how much more time do they need to have your car ready. I would have rated the hotel a 5 but took one star away due to this as it happened twice. Also bear in mind the those on the Staples side of hotel might wind up with a view of the large video wall on the side of hotel or the bright light coming off of it.

Room Tip: If bright lights and noise bother you, you might want to ask for a room facing the front of the hote...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heumanntouch
Constanta, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This review will not be about the location, or the food or the sleep quality. This review will be about the most important thing when it comes to the travel industry in general, and that is RESPECT for your customers.
I switched from The Westin and stayed on this property in January 2014. On the first or second night we arrived at about 9 PM at the hotel and a very strange person sitting in the lobby, next to the security guy caught my attention. I even made a joke about that. After about 30 min, i went down with my new MacBook Air to relax in the lobby and finish some work that i had. I answered the phone and left my laptop 10 feet away while i was talking on the phone. When i hung up, i realized that my laptop was stolen from the JW and Ritz lobby. Close to me there were 2 security guys, staying very relaxed in their positions, telling me they didn't saw anything.
I asked for the camera to be checked and the same person who i considered strange earlier, was the person stilling my laptop and exit the hotel thru the JW/Ritz reception. I called the police and file a report. Everybody from the front desk and security was calm, they just didn't care about that, some of them informing me that there is nothing i can do as that is not their responsibility.
After i left the hotel i contacted the hotel several time and in the end i have received an e-mail from a separate department of the hotel, that nothing can be done in this situation.
How is that possible in a 5 star hotel lobby, with 2 security agents next to me, a very strange person who was not supposed to be there, stole my laptop. How is that possible that an entire hotel management did not care, and just laugh about this situation. I was not contacted by anybody since the incident. How is that possible they can just say "Is not our fault"? Well, it is your moral fault, that the people you hired to keep the place secure, had failed to do their job. It is your moral fault, that you can ask 400$/night and provide 0 security for your guests! I travel a lot, and have a lot of business customers, but trust me this kind of situation never happened before.
Now i'm asking you, would you trust to leave your laptop, your briefcase, your documents with this hotel? Would you trust to leave your child's running in the lobby next to strange people? Would you feel comfortable to leave your luggage in this lobby for check in or check out? Think twice!!!
And if that was not enough, i was contacted by the person who stole it and ask to pay for my personal stuff in the laptop. My e-mail address was accessed along with my personal information.
Thank you JW Marriott and Ritz Carlton for your service. You made my 5 star stay an incredible experience. Anybody working in this travel industry should think twice when sending their customers here. My problem was not solve after 5 months.
Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank I-love-my-MacBookAir
Apollo Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've visited LA a number of times and have stayed all over the area. While LA Live is downtown and not in the more touristy areas, I really enjoyed it. I was there for a conference and the meetings facilities were amazing. The hotel has a smaller boutique feel despite it's actual size. I loved working in the lobby with the free wifi because the lounge was comfortable and computer friendly. Great selections of restaurants around the hotel and in the hotel. The pool was nice and you can't beat the view. The staff was very friendly and helped me quickly find a tour when I found myself with a few hours to spare. I would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mi8tcuc
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

So I think the litmus test for a hotel s not when they are slow, but when they are crazy busy - and with the E3 show in town, this hotel was INSANELY busy - as busy as I've ever seen a hotel, and I travel a LOT.
None the less, unlike many hotels, the management had clearly seen this coming, and planned accordingly. Without exception every member of staff, rushed off their feet though they were, were attentative, pleasant, thorough and all in all, remarkable. Service was flawless, my room was spotless every day, and it was quite a thing to behold. Kudos to the management and staff of this hotel - I would unconditionally recommend the JWMarriott LA Live, under any circumstances.

Room Tip: ask, BEG for a corner room - grey views and lots of space!
Green Features: Spot on and remarkably thorough in walking the walk of an environmental pledge.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business