“Beautiful Hotel But Bright!” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #23 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bartlett, IL
“Beautiful Hotel But Bright!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel is right in the heart of LA Live and about 2 blocks from the convention center. It lives up to the JW name and is a beautiful property. The lobby was fun and always full of people hanging out.
The room was spacious and very clean. As someone else mentioned the room could use some more outlets by the bed. (There are some on the side of the desk.) Surprisingly the bathroom didn't have a make-up mirror. It seems more and more upscale hotels include those now and it really is a nice amenity for females. The one negative about the room is it was very bright at night, even with the curtains closed. I was on the sixth floor facing the pool and once all the lights were out, the ads on the side of the hotel lit up the room like a Christmas tree. (LA Live is a lot like Times Square with ads on every building.) A clothespin is a great tool to keep in your suitcase to keep the curtains closed but the light was coming in at the top too.
The Executive Suite was spacious and breakfast was great. Lot's of choices. The pool looked nice although small. I never used it.
There is a Starbuck's right outside the back of the hotel and a Red Mango around the block. The one thing that surprised me is there was absolutely no shopping at LA Live. There is a Target several blocks away but there's not even a convenience store in the immediate area that I could find. I would definitely stay here again for a conference at the convention center.

Room Tip: Facing the pool you'll have a lot of light from the ad on the side of the building. Not sure ab...
Green Features: Loved that the maid didn't take the towel I had hanging on the hook. So many times hotels say the practice this but take the towels anyway.
1 Thank workinforvacation

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Definitely a 5 star location and great lobby area. The room was nice but needs more outlets for the business traveler. They had some built into the bedside lights but they way they were setup I couldn't get my Apple charger in there. They also need to fix up the way you need your room card to be inserted into the elevator so you can get to the floor. Myself and lots of other people had the same issue. You put your card in and doesn't work and you have to sit there and keep trying until it works or wait for someone else to try. This happened every day.

Also I had a horrible experience when I was leaving. I was in rush to leave, called the front desk to get my valet parked car ready so I wouldn't have to wait. I go to front desk, check out and go to the front of the hotel to wait for my car. A really nice bellman asked if I needed help and when I said I was waiting for my car he said I had to go down to the parking garage to get it. Would have been nice for the front desk to tell me that as they knew I had a valet parked car. When I get to the valet station my car isn't there, they don't even know that I had called for it as front desk obviously didn't give them the message. I then had to wait 5 minutes for it in the heat and was sweaty when the car came. Again, not valet's fault but the front desk for not relaying my request to have the car ready when I called up. When you pay a ton of money like I did for valet parking I want to get value for my money which I didn't.

Final fault, shower pressure was low and the shower head not conducive to getting a good shower.

One of the reasons I did give them the positive 4 starts was the wifi policy. Even though I had to pay for it they let you use up to 5 devices for the one fee. That is AWESOME. I hate hotels who make you pay per device and try to get money from you that way. Business travelers all have multiple devices.

If they fixed the silly card readers in the hotel, changed out the shower heads, made it easier to plug things into outlets by the bed and trained the front desk on valet parking procedures I would give them 5 stars.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Well I have to say if this place isn't the best!! We so enjoyed all the amenities...the girls couldn't get over the cool scented towels in the gym after their work out. The location offers everyone the chance to enjoy the best of downtown LA and the Staples Center and live TV and screens everywhere makes you feel like you are in Vegas. Fun for boys and girls, men and women. Great food, fun night life and a hotel full of a gracious staff ready to please!!!!

Room Tip: Get a view of the Staples Center
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We spent a night at this hotel before moving on to Woodland hills for a wedding. I have no complaints about this hotel. The Staff were very helpful and accommodating, and the concierge Joy was incredibly helpful. The rooms were spacious, well decorated and clean. The pool was very nice and well maintained. Great location with plenty a large variety of delicious restaurants around.

Only complaint was I waited outside for an Uber car for about 5 minutes and in that time frame I was approached by two separate individuals asking for food or money. Not a big a deal but I guess it could be scary to some people.

Would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ferndale, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The JW Marriott at LA Live is a full-service conference hotel. It's conveniently located in downtown LA, particularly for folks going to the LA Convention Center or the Staples Center. The rooms are large and have all the amenities you'd expect from a higher-end property like this one. My only real complaint relates to the food options. While the LA Market restaurant in the hotel features nice food, it is *extremely* pricey, even by the higher standards of a more expensive hotel. While my expenses were covered by my group for the duration of my stay, I decided not to eat at the hotel for most of my stay and sought out other options in the LA Live complex, especially for breakfast.

I can definitely recommend the hotel, but visitors should scope out dining options in the downtown LA area.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Satellite Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

You cannot beat the location of the JW Marriott at L:A Live. You are in the heart of LA Live. Everything is outside your door. The lounges serve great drinks and very original, fresh food. There is an Illy Coffee in the lobby with fresh pastries and baked goods. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and comfortable. The bathrooms are large and deluxe. I really enjoyed the coffee and tea that was provided in the room. Not only did you get a local, organic coffee but there was real cream, not powdered coffee whitener, and biscotti with it every day. I enjoy getting up to a cup of coffee before heading out in the morning. And, I like a cup of tea before bed. It was a very nice touch.

The staff was always helpful and friendly and went out of their way to meet our needs. I would strongly recommend the JW Marriott LA Live.

Room Tip: The rooms were totally silent. Combined with the amazing bed and linens, they were nine of the best...
Green Features: You could opt out of daily linen and towel changes.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LHS329
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

From the moment we drove in from valet to valet exit everything went well. The front desk clerk was informative as well as the server and "bell hop" was extremely polite. The room was clean and comfy and the temperature was great without all the noise from the A/C. Perfect for the price since everyone that we checked with was full.

• Stayed July 2014