“Expensive and not up to standard of the other JW properties”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this hotel thinking I would receive the same excellent service I have received at other JW properties. Instead I was very disappointed. I attempted to order room service several times and no one answered the phone. I tried calling the front desk and the phone just rang and rang. I finally went downstairs to find out what the problem was and was told during the summer they are short staffed. Hmm I still paid premium prices. Secondly, I was told their telephone system sends all calls to general operators and they send the calls to the designated areas. The food at the LA Market was mediocre. About the only service that was 100 up to standards was housekeeping. Housekeeping people were readily available to assist.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Omigann
anna l, Sr. Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Omigann,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback with us. We sincerely appreciate your review as it helps us improve our services to our guests. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced, and have shared this information with the Leaders in the Front Office and Food&Beverage Departments. We hope to welcome you in the future as our guests, and show you a completely different side of us.

All the best.

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Modern clean and efficient, I had amazing experience here on business trip with some pleasure mixed in- room large, clean and modern: was upgraded to junior suite which is on Ritz Carlton section of building- wow!! Great views of pool and downtown- concierge was excellent and helpful- they took care of business dinners and some leisure excursions to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Also one of the best concierge lounges I have ever seen. Eat at Wp24 and the adjacent "Nest" - both on top of the Ritz and connected to the Marriot- you will not be disappointed!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank travelguy6830
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here to work at a conference. It is a bit of a walk to the conference center ballrooms, but not too bad. Bed was ok, but not the plush Marriott bed I was expecting. Bathroom was big, shower was huge, but no tub. Kind of a downer since I like a soak after a hard day of work. Lots of nearby restaurants so you're not stuck with the same place all week. And I hate to be a complainer, but the 'team sport' elevators are a pain! You have to swipe a room key to access guest floors, but the reader was very finicky and wouldn't read cards.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank themntraveler
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've stayed at this property twice now during the BET Experience weekend. On par, the staff, security, valet, housekeeping, and bar staff did a great job!

Customer service: Henry at registration gets an A+++. He went beyond and above to deliver stellar customer service. I was not satisfied with the room I was assigned. There was nothing wrong with the room, except for that it did not have any of the amenities I wanted. I called the front desk to no avail. When I visited the front desk, I guess Henry could see he frustration on my face and with a heavily booked hotel.. he did what was necessary to ensure that I was happy. I appreciated that he cared. From finding me a new room to helping me move.. His actions will be the reason why I come back...as well as recommend people stay there when needing downtown LA accommodations.

The housekeeping staff on 15 was very friendly and efficient. Not sure if it was just my floor, but the staff seemed to be more like a family.

The lobby bar has the best burger.. shout out the bartender that recommend I try it...wish I had one right now!

I also highly recommend the spa. The common area in the spa is beautifully done. My services (facial and massage) were excellent. I was able to leave quite a bit of my NYC stress behind.

I will be back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the handicap accessible rooms. Ask for a room with a couch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tnyree
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Impressive lobby. Check-in was speedy in spite of the crowd of people hanging around. Directly behind the checkin area is a nice bar/lounge area - enjoyed stopping there as I passed through. There is a nice little coffee shop just adjacent as well. Next is a smaller bar, but it was booked for private events. You couldn't be any closer to LA Live. American Idol finales were happening when I stayed - fun to see the red carpet/cameras/action, even though I am not a fan of the show.

The room was great. It was large enough and super clean. The bathroom was just what you'd expect for a newish property. Hip, fresh/clean. My view was of the constantly stopped traffic on the freeway - I thought it was pretty funny and exactly LA.

The hotel seems to do a bunch of conferences so it feels a bit corporate, but it didnt get in my way. Against my will, I have to commonly stay near LAX. I enjoyed the change, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BDABound
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My family of four (two boys, aged 13 and 9) stayed at this hotel for five nights. My wife and I were delegates to a union conference that was taking place nearby. We are seasoned, international travelers and seldom encounter problems on the road.

Having access to a decent pool is a must for us. The roof deck pool at this site is fine - clean and in an attractive setting, with the bonus of a DJ during the day. Pretty cool. My review would, then, have been much better but for what transpired next.

On our last evening, the conference and side travels being done, my wife and I were preparing for departure the next morning. The boys went to use the pool while we packed. They returned ten minutes later and informed us that they had been turned away. They were told that ESPN had booked the pool to have a party prior to the ESPYS.

I called the front desk. An unimpressed hotel employee made it clear to me that these things are done, and we had no rights in the matter. So, regardless of our union having spent a great deal of money for multiple rooms, and our understanding that this included pool access, we were simply out of luck.

Dumbfounded over having been told that we were, in essence, peasants and that the rich and powerful were entitled to buy a hotel's ethics and cast us aside (OK, I guess I knew that, but experiencing it so intimately was a shock), I then called Marriott's national customer service number. I spoke with a very nice woman who told me that she had children of her own, and that she would have had a similar reaction to our situation. She called the hotel. They got back to me. The man I spoke with clearly did not sympathize with us in any way, and was probably peeved to have been called by national. Ultimately, he offered me some movie passes. In my opinion, at the very least, my union should have been reimbursed for one night. Even more annoying for me now is that I am a Marriott Rewards Silver member, and I have no desire to stay in one now. We were in San Francisco a week later, and I booked at the Parc 55 Wyndham rather than the more highly rated (Tripadvisor) Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank whaleboy1
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Staying at the hotel for a conference nearby was the most convenient thing to do. The hotel is very modern and stylish, with large room, in the typical Marriott style, fairly large bathrooms and the biggest tv's I have seen in a hotel room for some time. The bed comfort was okay!
The hotel pool was nicely located.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business