“Disappointed ! Not up to standard!”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at The Marriott in other states. This was disappointing..First time in LA...first hotel location is not so great. Not in an area where u would walk around at night. Although very busy hotel it is unable to keep up with its demand. First bellman left our luggage sitting in lobby after waiting in room for 30 minutes.. Unable to reach anyone on the phone including front desk to get answers. My husband had to go downstairs and get them. On multiply occasions we were unable to get someone on the phone when we needed room service, front desk or housekeeping. That's sad. I approached the manager for one night and shared our experience and did not seem surprised nor concerned .. It seemed common and acceptable. My husband and I are in the service business and we were disappointed of the attitude. Although we were credited $100 for incentives for the inconvenience. It is not a location I would recommend. Higher management needs to get involved and really get a good look at what's going on.. Plenty of other places to stay at next time I return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JessIcaPalmBeach
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed 11 August 2014

A very nice, clean, and professional property largely used for major conventions and leisure travel in the downtown LA area. The staff was very helpful upon check in and was always available for any needs throughout the week. I had a very spacious room (876) that featured an excellent bathroom, closet, and view of the pool. The bar and restaurant located on property are great and there are multiple ways to easily access the local attractions and convention center. All in all an excellent stay and I look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Saiklo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel met most of my expectations. The room was spacious and the bathroom was a great size. The room was clean and well kept. Throughout the entire hotel there was a feeling of class. The lobby was big, but also very welcoming. The staff treats you with respect and the concierge was very helpful.

The subway is a few blocks away and so is a City Target and some other shops. Right behind the hotel is LA Live, so you have a wide range of restaurants to choose from. If you can, try and catch a game or event at the Staples Center because it is part of the LA Live complex.

While I was there I became ill and utilized room service. Of course it was pricey, but the food was very good!

The only negative I had was that the internet was not free and I thought it would be. This is a hotel that hosts conventions and conferences for business, but guests are charged almost $13 for internet per 24 hours.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank icats1989
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked this hotel thinking I would receive the same excellent service I have received at other JW properties. Instead I was very disappointed. I attempted to order room service several times and no one answered the phone. I tried calling the front desk and the phone just rang and rang. I finally went downstairs to find out what the problem was and was told during the summer they are short staffed. Hmm I still paid premium prices. Secondly, I was told their telephone system sends all calls to general operators and they send the calls to the designated areas. The food at the LA Market was mediocre. About the only service that was 100 up to standards was housekeeping. Housekeeping people were readily available to assist.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Omigann
anna l, Sr. Admin Assistant at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Omigann,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback with us. We sincerely appreciate your review as it helps us improve our services to our guests. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced, and have shared this information with the Leaders in the Front Office and Food&Beverage Departments. We hope to welcome you in the future as our guests, and show you a completely different side of us.

All the best.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Modern clean and efficient, I had amazing experience here on business trip with some pleasure mixed in- room large, clean and modern: was upgraded to junior suite which is on Ritz Carlton section of building- wow!! Great views of pool and downtown- concierge was excellent and helpful- they took care of business dinners and some leisure excursions to Santa Monica and Venice Beach. Also one of the best concierge lounges I have ever seen. Eat at Wp24 and the adjacent "Nest" - both on top of the Ritz and connected to the Marriot- you will not be disappointed!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank travelguy6830
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here to work at a conference. It is a bit of a walk to the conference center ballrooms, but not too bad. Bed was ok, but not the plush Marriott bed I was expecting. Bathroom was big, shower was huge, but no tub. Kind of a downer since I like a soak after a hard day of work. Lots of nearby restaurants so you're not stuck with the same place all week. And I hate to be a complainer, but the 'team sport' elevators are a pain! You have to swipe a room key to access guest floors, but the reader was very finicky and wouldn't read cards.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank themntraveler
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've stayed at this property twice now during the BET Experience weekend. On par, the staff, security, valet, housekeeping, and bar staff did a great job!

Customer service: Henry at registration gets an A+++. He went beyond and above to deliver stellar customer service. I was not satisfied with the room I was assigned. There was nothing wrong with the room, except for that it did not have any of the amenities I wanted. I called the front desk to no avail. When I visited the front desk, I guess Henry could see he frustration on my face and with a heavily booked hotel.. he did what was necessary to ensure that I was happy. I appreciated that he cared. From finding me a new room to helping me move.. His actions will be the reason why I come back...as well as recommend people stay there when needing downtown LA accommodations.

The housekeeping staff on 15 was very friendly and efficient. Not sure if it was just my floor, but the staff seemed to be more like a family.

The lobby bar has the best burger.. shout out the bartender that recommend I try it...wish I had one right now!

I also highly recommend the spa. The common area in the spa is beautifully done. My services (facial and massage) were excellent. I was able to leave quite a bit of my NYC stress behind.

I will be back.

Room Tip: Stay away from the handicap accessible rooms. Ask for a room with a couch.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo