“Just the right amount of swank”

JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is everything a modern luxury spot should be: swanky in all the right places, with beautiful aesthetics and a hopping lobby/bar scene. It simply feels alive, and you can also escape that if you want with ultra-comfortable rooms. The gym is terrific as well.

My only gripe, and the reason it's not five stars, is the expensive valet ($42/night) that isn't all that efficient. You nearly always need a car in LA, and the JW crushes your wallet for it. But the hotel itself is gorgeous.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Anthony D
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Concierge: only Ann was enthusiastic in responding to guests' queries, the rest were impatient and in poor manner!

Breakfast at their cafe: freshly made eggs or pancake at your choice but the buffet table was not attractive at all, not much to choose! The restaurant reception did not have good manner and you did not feel you are welcomed to dine there

Room was clean and fine. Love their shower with strong water force

Valet parking was good and efficient

Location is convenient with a Starbucks next door!

I have read from the reviews that quite a number of the comments were related to staff's poor manner, their management should really re-train their staff on this!

Stayed: August 2014
Management response:Responded 25 August 2014

Dear Happy T,

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your input as it helps us improve our services to our guests. We will share this information with our Culinary and Food&Beverage team to ensure our buffet options are reviewed. We are glad Valet and Room Cleanliness were up to par. As for the staff comment, we're truly sorry you didn't find our staff as helpful, and we will make sure to retrain. Our guests are most important to us, and your feedback does matter!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We only stayed one night, our room was not ready 'till after 6:30P, and we had requested an early arrival. Also the staff was not nice, poor management was noted. As premier Platnum Elite most Marriott's take great care of us. No the case here, poor snacks on the club level and most rooms have no bath tubs. A big let down, find a different property in LA, lots of greats on to pick from.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank K
Management response:Responded 22 August 2014

Dear Frank K,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We will most definitely take this as a learning experience to ensure we better prepare to take care of our guests' requests. Your feedback helps us improve, and we sincerely apologize for the opportunities you have encountered. We do hope to welcome you back in the future, and show you a more positive experience.

Thank you.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Checked in late because of a delayed flight and got to our room at almost midnight. The skeleton staff at this hour were genuinely nice and understanding about our situation, and travelling with a baby. Since this hotel is the cheaper of the two (next door to the Ritz, which is also owned by Marriott), I expected the room to be smaller. This room was pretty big. Probably the largest standard guest room I've stayed in at a Marriott hotel. Everything was immaculately clean and neat. Furnishings were modern and bright, as expected in any Marriott.

The parking is expensive. The parking was more than I've paid at almost any hotel that I can remember. It's about $50/night for the valet parking. There is no self-parking, unless you want to use the private lot across the street for $25/night, but I do not recommend it. (A person travelling with us parked his car in that lot across the street and the attendant lost his car key!) Make sure you consider tipping the parking staff, as they do a great job running to get your car, and load all your things... and I felt bad that many other guests were not tipping them.

The food here was good overall, although inconsistent. We ate breakfast here two of the four mornings and I ordered the same thing both times (the California Eggs Benedict). The first time it was excellent, the second time it was pretty unspectacular (soggy and overcooked). There is an illy coffee shop, a bar, and LA Market restaurant on the ground floor, but you also have a bunch of other choices at LA Live and the surrounding neighborhood.

Although we did not use the pool, we hung out one morning on the deck where the pool was. It is a beautiful view from there, overlooking LA. I imagine that on a hot summer day, it would be a great place to hang out and check out the views in and around the pool.

The neighborhood is starting to look great. We used to live in Downtown LA back in 2005-2006, and compared to back then, it is now much safer and prettier. We did not feel uncomfortable at all walking around with the baby, even in the evening. There are a lot of restaurants, shops, and bars within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again if we need to stay in Downtown LA, although next time I will not bring a car. I booked a car on priceline (named my own price) before booking the hotel, so I couldnt back out of it. The parking fees were the only thing I did not like about staying here. Otherwise I would recommend this JW to anyone looking for a modern, stylish, comfortable hotel in LA's Downtown area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have better views, but can be loud and distracting because that is the side...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank beepill809
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my second time staying at the JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. Live. The first was when accompanying the Medal of Honor recipient. Both stays were business related and both times the hotel's team went "above and beyond" in providing me with exceptional service.
From the moment I checked in, I was treated like royalty--even given a daily $50 expense coupon to use at hotel for any incidentals. The bar service was awesome--drinks were great! And, to top it off, I ordered room service--a slice of berry cheesecake with milk. They called me after I ordered and advised they ran out of the cheesecake. They offered cookies--I said, "cool!" Room service showed up with four LARGE soft, warm, chocolate chip cookies and a tall glass of milk. The best part was they refused to charge me because they felt they failed me by not having cheesecake--now that is service. I also enjoyed the pool with a fantastic view of downtown Los Angeles and great bar service. So, I truly recommend this hotel if you want some pampering, a comfortable bed with plenty of room space and great location. This hotel's staff has both times gone "Above and Beyond" with their service!

Room Tip: I was on the 18th floor with great views to the North of Los Angeles.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nyqban
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Spent this past weekend there while attending an event at the Nokia Theater next door. This is a modern first class hotel with old school mentality. Staff everywhere VERY helpful. Rooms spacious and beautifully furnished with couch, fridge and complimentary coffee and water.
Perfect location if attending anything at Staples Center or Nokia Theater or even a Dodger game. The adjoining LA Live complex offers any dining option possible. Nice pool area with great staff as well. Great for a weekend getaway without getting away from LA

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eisenser
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was incredibly clean and modern.

The rooms were excellent and the staff was incredibly friendly.

This was a destination hotel and a 5 star hotel. Was very pleased with my stay!!!

Location was perfect. Excellent downtown location. Staff was accommodating. Request a top corner room!

• Stayed: June 2014