“Loved it!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I stayed at the JW Marriott at L.A. Live last week while attending a conference. I travel extensively but have never stayed at a JW Marriott property. Let me just say that I was truly impressed. The gentleman who checked me in (I believe his name was Ernie) was incredibly helpful and welcoming. Actually, every single staff member I came in contact with was very friendly.

The property is in a very cool location near the Staples Center and adjoins the Ritz Carlton. If you happen to get tired of all the fun in the beautiful lobby/bar and dining area at the JW you can even walk over to the W24 at the Ritz and have cocktails with a fabulous view of L.A. (by the way, I highly recommend their Dragon Fire drink). :) There are also several excellent restaurants close by and the hotel is also within walking distance of the Grammy Museum.

My room was lovely and incredibly comfortable. I had a great view of downtown L.A. and a friend of mine at the conference even had a view of the Hollywood sign. A full breakfast was also included (which was a nice surprise). I definitely enjoyed my visit and look forward to checking out other JW Marriott properties in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 31 August 2014

As one would expect, this is a terrific hotel. I hosted a work event there, and the service was incredible. Rooms were great, of course, and huge, and the location is pretty good and even better if you are there for an event at LA or the Staples Center. I had a great meal at the bar area mid-day. Valet is not cheap; beware that there are other lots in the area, and that the valet can take you an extra 5 or so minutes so leave yourself that extra time to get down there and have them fetch your car. One of the valets was nice enough to drive my rental car around a bit when I thought I heard a noise (turned out to be nothing, of course). I didn't use the pool, but I'm sure it's amazing. The lobby is huge and tall, very fitting for the area. Close enough to the airport to be convenient.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NYerJo
Basseterre, Saint George Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I was pleased with the front desk and housekeeping staff. Great attitude, friendly and helpful. Rooms were nice, but not jaw-dropping. The best feature is the location - part of the LA Live complex that includes both the Staples center and the Nokia arena . Great vibe going from all the surrounding restaurants . That said, I expected the whole of downtown LA to be interesting, and frankly there wasn't much to see in walking distance.

Room Tip: Get a high room. The lobby is very loud
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryan M
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Let me first start out by saying, we are Marriott platinum members and travel a lot. We have extremely high standards for service and accomidations.

This is an Amazing hotel! Lobby is like a constant party, playing good music, 2 bar and lounge areas and a ton of space to just walk around and enjoy the ambiance.

The pool at this location is awesome, tons of seats, big area, very clean. (Its an infinity pool overlooking the LA Live area. Its also open all day and into the late evening (like 10pm or so-not sure what the other reviewers are saying below.)

The executive lounge is constantly stocked with awesome treats and snacks and a very friendly staff! (Beware, only open sunday evening - friday evening which is standard of these lounges)

The rooms are huge and up to date, bell service is great and offered to get us ice, give us a tour of the hotel, and gave us a business card if we had any problems!!

People are complaining about the parking, which yes, $43/day is steep, BUT you're staying at the JW in LA (which is at the same property as the Ritz Carlton as well). The courtyard and residence Inn is across the street if you need something a little less expensive.

Keep up the good work, JW!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Okay but not what I would dream of a JW to be like. When you first walk in you see a dirty carpet. The front desk staff was polite but no smiles. The valets and housekeeping staff was the best staff member of the whole hotel.
We were told we would get a call when our second room was ready, no call. We had to ask. When we stood in line to ask about our second room, the two GSA’s were both helping a couple with Concierge questions. I felt they should have sent the guest over to the 3 Concierge who were doing nothing and whom never smile ever! OI did see the female blonde Concierge smile once. The tall male Concierge seemed so unapproachable. EGO! So we did skip using the Concierge. 
No stamps at the front desk? HUM? That is the first for me. With the store being closed at certain hours the desk agents should have stamps. No anticipation of guest needs.
Pool area is nice. Could stay open later maybe until 12:00 AM! The pool bar hours are odd.
We were there a week. Each time we approached the drive they acted like they never had seen us. We never parked at the hotel. We parked on the street. 8PM – 8 AM free. Easy. There are lots close by you can park for 20.00. We did use them once. Easy.

Room Tip: ask for high floor. ask for the Ritz side or pool side.
1 Thank S-Badventures
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I wish I could have given a better review to this place as its a great one and I have stayed before as well. One of the main reasons for me to come back again was to experience their club lounge which used to be a great place and one of the best lounges. I was very disappointed at check in to be told that the lounge was closed and a make shift lounge was arranged in one of the shabby meeting rooms without any view. While I do know such issues can arise but morally and ethically the hotel has to inform their loyal guests beforehand and not give them the information at check in.
The lounge was overcrowded and supplies ran out without being replenished in time. No computers or printers as such and the staff had no clue what to do and directed me to their business center to pay for printing. Fortunately the concierge came to my rescue and asked me to email them the documents and they got it printed out free of charge.
On weekends the lounge is closed and breakfast is offered as a buffet in the resultant. That was even worse than the lounge with a very poor selection of food not befitting a five star property !
As mentioned by others , valet parking is a hefty 42 bucks and add to it the repeated gratuities being given for in and out privileges really makes it a staggering number.
The saving grace of this place is the staff who are really very nice specially some at the front desk and concierge.

1 Thank DXBDOC
anna l, at JW Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear DXBDOC,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the best guest experience possible. Whenever we receive a review that indicates an opportunity to improve, we love to know more about what happened, in order to better meet your needs in the future. We appreciate the the kind words about our staff at the Front Desk and Concierge, and will ensure to share it with them. We hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I recently stayed at this hotel while dropping off our daughter for her fresh,a year at USC. This hotel is located in downtown LA and is the perfect location for those visiting USC, which is about 1.5 miles from the hotel. The hotel is part of the LA Live Convention Center development. It is located in a pedestrian area with many good restaurants in the area within a very short waking distance.

The hotel is very modern with a large open space behind the registration desk for the bar and restaurant. The rooms are of average size but well appointed. The soaps and shampoo are very nice.

I would suggest requesting a room on a high floor to avoid any street noise or noise from LA Live. We were on the 14th floor and never heard any noise. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Wireless internet is $12 per day, but if you are a Marriott member (I'm only Silver level), the internet was free. A good perk! The valet parking is steep, at $42 per day, but that is probably standard for downtown LA. Our rate did include a $50 per day hotel credit which I never used, but $200 was deducted from our bill after our 4 day stay, a very nice gesture on their part.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor to control outside noise.
1 Thank spursone