“"Good Sushi and Sashimi at good price"”
Review of Yamato Restaurant - CLOSED

Yamato Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Westside
Surabaya, Indonesia
“"Good Sushi and Sashimi at good price"”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

I had lunch for 3 times here during our stay at W hotel LA. The sushi and sashimi are excellent. Donburi package are also quality food with large portion. Wine selection is and price are ok. Restaurant ambience is very nice. Good place to sit and relax.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
“Good Food Terrible Service”
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

Food was good, Service was terrible. Our server too a long time in getting to our table and then did not ask us for our drinks and just wanted to take our order. I gave him our drink order and some other person brings the drinks and forgets the hot tea and Splenda for my Iced tea which had no ice. Had to ask another person to bring the tea and yet another person for the Splenda. Each time someone would bring something to the table they just dropped and left as quick as possible. The dinner entree then comes out before the sushi did we were half way done with the entree then the sushi came out. Our original server then comes to the table only once to check on us and never again. Never was asked for drink refills, they stood around in the back while we just sat there waiting for someone to clear the dishes and ask us for dessert, which we did not have we just wanted to leave but no one came to box the left overs and bring us the check. Finally someone saw us looking at the group of them standing in the back and brought us our check and two boxes to bring home but no bag. Needless to say only a 10% tip on this place and the very poor service. Would not go there again even thought the price was right.

New York City, New York
“This place is just wrong.”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I unfortunately have nothing good to say about this place:

The Ambiance - initially the restaurant looks nice...well lit and nicely designed. But upon closer inspection I could see that the place is really quite dirty. From the tables to the floor to the seats. The entire restaurant needs a thorough cleaning.

The Food - I am not sushi expert by any means (Whole Foods sushi is one of my favorites if that gives you a barometer)...and neither is Yamato. The lobster in the Westwood Roll was chewy and disgusting. The Shrimp Tempura roll was the worst I've ever had. And yes, I too wondered how a sushi place can ruin a tempura roll.

My husband ordered the Chicken Teriyaki and kept commenting at how bad the chicken quality was. We also ordered the Gyoza Appetizer (nobody commented one way or the other about this because it was very bland). I will say that I loved the ginger-ish salad dressing that came with my husband's meal.

The Service - We visited the restaurant a lunch this past Saturday. The place was not very busy and yet our server was hard to track down throughout our meal.

I have no plans to return to this place due to the food quality, the service, and the dirty restaurant. Not really sure what else to say unfortunately.

Visited January 2013
Oakland, California
“Sushi with my UCLA student...”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Fast service, good food, and a super location. One beer on tap, Sapporo. I think this was the Bank of America building when I was a student here...

Visited December 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Drinks with a view”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A tourist/visitor-must see. The food is not the draw....it is the view. Reserve a table outside overlooking the city, order drinks, and watch the sunset. Dinner is better elsewhere.

• Visited March 2012