“Wish I could give it 5 stars, but....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Granite Bay, CA
“Wish I could give it 5 stars, but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We travel extensively at 5 star properties so we wanted something extra special for our anniversary celebration with our adult children. Check-in to our spa suites was smooth and our room is lovely except for the shockingly uncomfortable sofas. I am a commercial designer and I'm sure these weren't cheap... but they sit like a park bench and the fabric is already stretching and looks worn. They should have installed clean taupe-colored leather sectionals to maximize the space with a leather-topped cocktail ottoman to put one's feet up.. but I digress...

Anyway, champagne and chocolate strawberries were sent to the room. We then enjoyed drinks in the bar and then had dinner at the on-site Wolfgang Puck restaurant at 8p. All was going well until after our appetizers and then no food for almost an hour. Our excellent server apologized indicating there was a large party that set the kitchen back, so he brought some soup, but we didn't get our entrees until almost 10p! And then, our daughter's salmon was cold. We waited again for that to be redone and it came out raw. While we got some complimentary (unasked for) desserts it was past 10:30; they only took the salmon off the bill. Sorry, any 5 star would comp a dinner this poorly executed. My husband complained the next day to the manager and yet 2 days later, we've heard nothing... and we are still on-property.

We also have a plan in which breakfast is included...$115 per room. However, with the high prices ($35 for two eggs and potatoes, $12 for two tiny boxes of cereal), it doesn't go far and frankly, the food is not close to 5 star.

Last night, we took the Bel-Air car service to the Polo Lounge (at the sister property Beverly Hills Hotel) and it was expensive but wonderful... superb service. However, we called for the Bel-Air car at 9:06 and were told, "sorry, the service stops at 9p." Really? Why wouldn't anyone tell us this when we left? Luckily, the Beverly Hills service goes until 10p, so why didn't they arrange that for us? Not 5 star.

The spa is small but wonderful and the treatments excellent.

Today, after returning from the LACMA around 2:30p, we were quite surprised to find our room undone and our breakfast still on the tray. While everyone in housekeeping is so nice, we don't want to sit in our $1000/night room for an hour while it's being cleaned! Not 5 star.

We have one day left and we're hoping to enjoy the pool and not have any other "issues." Since we are probably going to have a bill close to $7K for 4 days (the cost of a high-end week on an Alaskan cruise for comparison purposes), this mini-vacation should have been flawless. And, we should have heard from the GM on the missteps...

Room Tip: The Spa rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank LReego
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Liz,

I would like to thank you for sharing feedback during your stay with us so that were able to address your concerns before you checked out. Your comments and suggestions are invaluable, as it only in this way that we are able to continually improve the service that we offer our guests.

It is very disappointing that your restaurant experience was less than impressive, but I am pleased we were able to invite you back to dinner and have you experience "one of the finest meals" you have ever had. This is what should have occurred during your first (and every visit for that matter) to the restaurant, and I apologize that this was not the case. It is great to hear that you went over to our sister property, The Beverly Hills Hotel, but yes, you most certainly should have been made aware of the hours of operation for the hotel house car. I will follow up with our staff to make sure this important and relevant information is being communicated with guests when they are traveling between our hotels. And after all the shortcomings with your stay, it is nice to hear you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Bel-Air Spa by La Prairie.

Again, I thank you for voicing your concerns during your stay as it gave us the opportunity to recover from our human errors and provide you with the Five Star experience we are known for here at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear you will be back to visit us again in the near future and hope it will be soon.

Denise Flanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our stay came at the end of a grueling, hot road trip through the national parks of the Southwest, with our two dogs. I planned a couple of nights at the legendary Bel-Air as a quiet oasis in which to recover before resuming our trip up the coast of California and was not disappointed...

The Bel-Air lived up to its reputation as a five-star hotel: We were lavishly welcomed and the staff, who all wear bluetooth ear pieces, flawlessly executed their duties throughout our stay, offering such services as unpacking our suitcases and ironing our clothes. Our dogs were provided with plush beds and dog dishes and were welcomed at the outside portion of the restaurant and throughout the (beautifully planted) grounds. Our room (in the new wing of the property) was very quiet and well-appointed featuring a touch-screen phone, B & O TV, and an iPad for hotel information, plus a private patio with 7-ft wall surround. The Hollywood Regency decor and high, hardwood ceilings provided an airy, sophisticated ambience.

Our son, who works in the area, joined us for his birthday and we enjoyed a nice meal from room service, including a gratis piece of chocolate cake with personalized birthday greeting. The restaurant (by Wolfgang Puck) offered a varied menu of classics and modern items.

All our choices were quite good--Salmon with mushroom/soy glaze, steak with Bernaise, steak tartare, shrimp cocktail. My son and husband had dinner the next evening in the restaurant and raved and my husband and I enjoyed a nice breakfast the day we left. The only marginal menu item I experienced during our stay, was a gruyere grilled cheese and onion sandwich, ordered from room service at lunch, where the cheese must have leaked out during grilling because it consisted mostly of oily bread and some grilled onions.

Overall, I most enjoyed the privacy and quiet. We lit the "Do Not Disturb" light and were never bothered by a maid knocking or any other unwanted interruption--heavenly, after the bustling trip we had experienced...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tretower424
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Tretower424,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear our garden oasis was the perfect end to your summer road trip. And how lovely that your LA-based son was able to join you at the hotel. Our staff will be extremely happy to hear your kind words regarding their exceptional service, and of course we love when we are able to make the puppies happy! I am concerned to learn of your disappointment with the grilled cheese sandwich and can assure you this certainly does not reflect the standards we have at Hotel Bel-Air. Please be assured I have followed up with Chef on this to ensure better quality control in the future.

I am pleased you and your family - dogs included - enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you all back again soon.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I just returned to the Bel Air for yet another flawless stay! I tried another room type and can now report that the Loft Rooms are spectacular. There are only three so they book up fast. The rooms are very large, perfectly located by the spa, they have large balconies (wide), fabulous bathrooms, large closet, gorgeous gas fireplace (not wood burning like some of the other rooms) and last but not least.....even the toilet is spectacular (heated and 8 other functions which I did not explore).

As before, Dawn made sure my car and all other plans were handled perfectly upon my arrival and Nathaniel helped me make just the right room choice and for that I am thankful. The other ladies and gentleman at the Bel Air were gracious and genuine as always. The front desk greeted me by name as I arrived which is always impressive to me when they have so many guests to remember.

Every detail made my visit one I will not soon forget. From the in room dining woman that remembered me by name and remembered my usual order, to my bellman Brian that took so much time explaining the many automated features of my room, to the exceptional massage from Nester (he is amazing), they impressed me on every level.

This is five stars at its finest! A "not to be missed" hotel!!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the hotel and they are all unique.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JBHAtlanta
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear JBHAtlanta,

It was a pleasure welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you were able to experience another room type on your recent visit, Hotel Bel-Air is very unique in that we have 10 different room designs and the layout is different in every single room. I found your comment regarding the toilets most entertaining…spectacular they are!

I have passed along your kind words to our staff and they were thrilled they were able to make your stay extra special. Thank you for mentioning specific team member names as this allows us to let them know how they impacted a specific guest's visit. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

The most perfect hotel in the world, bar none. Quiet, elegant, secluded. The staff are so professional and helpful and warm. The pool is stunning and you don't want to leave the rooms. The restaraunt is the greatest place to eat and watch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hnya
Dear hnya,

It is absolutely wonderful to hear you feel Hotel Bel-Air is perfect. That is the highest compliment we can receive. Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us…from the service to the rooms to the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a true 5 star hotel. It is very intimate with beautiful grounds. The walkways smell like jasmine. We stayed at this hotel twice. It is not unusual to see celebrities here. Our room was beautiful with a private enclosed patio. The bed was extremely comfortable. The towels and bathrobes are luxurious. The room has an iPad for service and electronic lighting controls which are a bit more complex then need be. The products in the bathroom are ample and luxurious. There is a pool and a Wolfgang Puck. This is an excellent romantic getaway but VERY expensive. Everything is expensive- even to park you car. This is a real splurge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea T
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Andrea T,

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were provided a true Five Star experience and felt that your getaway was a very special one. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel for a third visit in the near future.

Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This Hotel has it all, it is quiet, clean, newly renovated, the service is perfect, the food is top, the hotel has great class and charm, the staff is very polite and pays attention to every details, hotel guests are of quality , not noisy parties, great pool and fitness.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Olivier M
Dear Olivier M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you were so happy with all aspects of the hotel... from the rooms, to the service, to the overall ambiance. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Bel-Air in the near future.

Flyover Red State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was our first visit to the Bel Air since it was renovated. The owners had the good sense to leave the grounds intact, as this is what sets it apart from almost any hotel I have ever visited. The new decor is a little modernistic for my taste, but it is done well. The light controls in the rooms are needlessly complex. Wolfgang Puck's restaurant is good, but still needs some tweaking. The major problem is with the bar. It is a nice venue and features first class entertainment, but the management allows non-BelAir types to hoot and holler during the performance without a cautionary word. I communicated this to the management during check-out and I trust it will be remedied.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio and off the beaten path.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yeaux
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear yeaux,

It was a pleasure welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air. We truly value and appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit, and I share your opinion that the hotel's grounds are truly enchanting. Your concern regarding the Bar & Lounge will in fact be addressed, as we strive to create an environment that is entertaining yet also pleasing and comfortable. Please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort you experienced. We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Bel-Air in the not too distant future, and once again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Magic Castle Hotel
#2 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,955 reviews
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!