“Beautiful...”

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Beautiful...”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

The bel air hotel is absolutely delightful. The staff are so attentive and pleasant especially the valet, pool hosts and housekeeping. The room and balcony was stunning yet comfortable and the grounds are amazing. My family and I and spent 10 nights there and I have to say it is one of my favorite hotel experiences ever. The resturant and bar are lovely to visit and the food was good at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Nothing was ever too much trouble and this is appreciated whilst on holiday. My daughter was given a soft toy swan and cookies spelling her name on arrival and this was a lovely gesture. One evening was chilly so i asked for the fire to be prepared for my return from dinner and it was a cosy experience that i have never had in a hotel before. Finally, The house car is a great and useful touch to the overall service. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it truly is a special gem in the middle of a
hectic city. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Xgrayx
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Xgrayx,

It is so wonderful to hear we provided you with one of the best hotel experiences you have ever had. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay, and it's great to know that your daughter enjoyed the swan and cookies. In-room fireplaces is one of our most special features and it's great to know that you took advantage of this.

There is no greater compliment than knowing that you recommend the hotel to others looking to visit LA. We thank you for this endorsement and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Denise Flanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Beaconsfield
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed in a Premier Canyon Suite for two nights in early August. The suite balcony was large, with its own spa pool and a great view. It had sunbeds, table and chairs, an outdoor fire and plenty of shade - as well as plenty of sun. Sitting out, particularly in the evenings, overlooking the beautiful, quiet, upscale Bel-Air neighbourhood was the highlight of our stay.

The suite itself was on the small side and I didn't particluarly like the layout of the rooms. The decor is retro and furnishings are commensurately simple. Looking closely at the fttings I could see they are all expensive top-end items; unfortunately, superficially, the simple 60s style designs look cheap, which I found off-putting. The room has a number of clever electronics, including its own iPad, some of which were a little erratic at times. For example, when I switched on the lights, they flashed on and off a couple of times before eventually staying on. The bathroom was not particularly large but the space was used efficiently, so the size didn't feel inadequate in any way; it was well equipped, including its own television.

The Wolfgang Puck restaurant is an asset. Semi open air, it serves good food at breakfast and dinner and is a very conducive environment in which to dine. Table service was good.

The oval shaped pool is quiet with responsive poolside service and plenty of shade for those that want it - overall a very placid and pleasant poolside setting.

One day we had lunch at the Polo Lounge at the nearby Beverly Hills Hotel with a complimentary house limo there and back.

The front desk was light on staff - delays at check-in and check-out. Aside from this minor gripe, one of the best things about the Bel-Air is the service. It is discreet and all pervading. Without exception, staff are fully focused on ensuring your stay is as good as possible. Guests are less warm.

Overall, there is a lot to like about the hotel and my wife loved it - as did the man who called down to reception while we were checking out to say he wanted to extend his stay another two weeks - but for me it didn't quite do it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank BQD
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear BQD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. It is wonderful you enjoyed spending your evenings on the patio of your suite but I am disappointed you did not like the interior design. I truly wish that this was not the case, but your opinion of the design is naturally something that I can’t change. Hotel Bel-Air is very unique in that we have 10 different room designs and the layout is different in every single room, so I would encourage you to tour other room types. It is my hope that you will find a design that both you and your wife really enjoy.

I am pleased you had a lovely experience at Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air, and it is great to know that you took advantage of our house car to visit our sister hotel The Beverly Hills Hotel. This is something we encourage all of our guests to do, especially because we offer signing privileges between the two properties.

It is very unfortunate to learn that you experienced delays at the front desk. Please know this is something I have been busy addressing with the team, as it is not the level of service that we are known for. It is most upsetting that your negative first and last impressions of your stay were a result of these delays. Our goal is always to provide our guests with service excellence from the moment they step out of their car to the moment they depart. We were not able to do this for you and it is most disappointing. I hope you might consider returning to the hotel in the future, and ask that if you do, please email me directly when making your reservation so I can ensure you are provided the ultimate Hotel Bel-Air experience from start to finish.

Granite Bay, CA
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We travel extensively at 5 star properties so we wanted something extra special for our anniversary celebration with our adult children. Check-in to our spa suites was smooth and our room is lovely except for the shockingly uncomfortable sofas. I am a commercial designer and I'm sure these weren't cheap... but they sit like a park bench and the fabric is already stretching and looks worn. They should have installed clean taupe-colored leather sectionals to maximize the space with a leather-topped cocktail ottoman to put one's feet up.. but I digress...

Anyway, champagne and chocolate strawberries were sent to the room. We then enjoyed drinks in the bar and then had dinner at the on-site Wolfgang Puck restaurant at 8p. All was going well until after our appetizers and then no food for almost an hour. Our excellent server apologized indicating there was a large party that set the kitchen back, so he brought some soup, but we didn't get our entrees until almost 10p! And then, our daughter's salmon was cold. We waited again for that to be redone and it came out raw. While we got some complimentary (unasked for) desserts it was past 10:30; they only took the salmon off the bill. Sorry, any 5 star would comp a dinner this poorly executed. My husband complained the next day to the manager and yet 2 days later, we've heard nothing... and we are still on-property.

We also have a plan in which breakfast is included...$115 per room. However, with the high prices ($35 for two eggs and potatoes, $12 for two tiny boxes of cereal), it doesn't go far and frankly, the food is not close to 5 star.

Last night, we took the Bel-Air car service to the Polo Lounge (at the sister property Beverly Hills Hotel) and it was expensive but wonderful... superb service. However, we called for the Bel-Air car at 9:06 and were told, "sorry, the service stops at 9p." Really? Why wouldn't anyone tell us this when we left? Luckily, the Beverly Hills service goes until 10p, so why didn't they arrange that for us? Not 5 star.

The spa is small but wonderful and the treatments excellent.

Today, after returning from the LACMA around 2:30p, we were quite surprised to find our room undone and our breakfast still on the tray. While everyone in housekeeping is so nice, we don't want to sit in our $1000/night room for an hour while it's being cleaned! Not 5 star.

We have one day left and we're hoping to enjoy the pool and not have any other "issues." Since we are probably going to have a bill close to $7K for 4 days (the cost of a high-end week on an Alaskan cruise for comparison purposes), this mini-vacation should have been flawless. And, we should have heard from the GM on the missteps...

Room Tip: The Spa rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank LReego
Dear Liz,

I would like to thank you for sharing feedback during your stay with us so that were able to address your concerns before you checked out. Your comments and suggestions are invaluable, as it only in this way that we are able to continually improve the service that we offer our guests.

It is very disappointing that your restaurant experience was less than impressive, but I am pleased we were able to invite you back to dinner and have you experience "one of the finest meals" you have ever had. This is what should have occurred during your first (and every visit for that matter) to the restaurant, and I apologize that this was not the case. It is great to hear that you went over to our sister property, The Beverly Hills Hotel, but yes, you most certainly should have been made aware of the hours of operation for the hotel house car. I will follow up with our staff to make sure this important and relevant information is being communicated with guests when they are traveling between our hotels. And after all the shortcomings with your stay, it is nice to hear you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Bel-Air Spa by La Prairie.

Again, I thank you for voicing your concerns during your stay as it gave us the opportunity to recover from our human errors and provide you with the Five Star experience we are known for here at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear you will be back to visit us again in the near future and hope it will be soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our stay came at the end of a grueling, hot road trip through the national parks of the Southwest, with our two dogs. I planned a couple of nights at the legendary Bel-Air as a quiet oasis in which to recover before resuming our trip up the coast of California and was not disappointed...

The Bel-Air lived up to its reputation as a five-star hotel: We were lavishly welcomed and the staff, who all wear bluetooth ear pieces, flawlessly executed their duties throughout our stay, offering such services as unpacking our suitcases and ironing our clothes. Our dogs were provided with plush beds and dog dishes and were welcomed at the outside portion of the restaurant and throughout the (beautifully planted) grounds. Our room (in the new wing of the property) was very quiet and well-appointed featuring a touch-screen phone, B & O TV, and an iPad for hotel information, plus a private patio with 7-ft wall surround. The Hollywood Regency decor and high, hardwood ceilings provided an airy, sophisticated ambience.

Our son, who works in the area, joined us for his birthday and we enjoyed a nice meal from room service, including a gratis piece of chocolate cake with personalized birthday greeting. The restaurant (by Wolfgang Puck) offered a varied menu of classics and modern items.

All our choices were quite good--Salmon with mushroom/soy glaze, steak with Bernaise, steak tartare, shrimp cocktail. My son and husband had dinner the next evening in the restaurant and raved and my husband and I enjoyed a nice breakfast the day we left. The only marginal menu item I experienced during our stay, was a gruyere grilled cheese and onion sandwich, ordered from room service at lunch, where the cheese must have leaked out during grilling because it consisted mostly of oily bread and some grilled onions.

Overall, I most enjoyed the privacy and quiet. We lit the "Do Not Disturb" light and were never bothered by a maid knocking or any other unwanted interruption--heavenly, after the bustling trip we had experienced...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tretower424
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Tretower424,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear our garden oasis was the perfect end to your summer road trip. And how lovely that your LA-based son was able to join you at the hotel. Our staff will be extremely happy to hear your kind words regarding their exceptional service, and of course we love when we are able to make the puppies happy! I am concerned to learn of your disappointment with the grilled cheese sandwich and can assure you this certainly does not reflect the standards we have at Hotel Bel-Air. Please be assured I have followed up with Chef on this to ensure better quality control in the future.

I am pleased you and your family - dogs included - enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you all back again soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I just returned to the Bel Air for yet another flawless stay! I tried another room type and can now report that the Loft Rooms are spectacular. There are only three so they book up fast. The rooms are very large, perfectly located by the spa, they have large balconies (wide), fabulous bathrooms, large closet, gorgeous gas fireplace (not wood burning like some of the other rooms) and last but not least.....even the toilet is spectacular (heated and 8 other functions which I did not explore).

As before, Dawn made sure my car and all other plans were handled perfectly upon my arrival and Nathaniel helped me make just the right room choice and for that I am thankful. The other ladies and gentleman at the Bel Air were gracious and genuine as always. The front desk greeted me by name as I arrived which is always impressive to me when they have so many guests to remember.

Every detail made my visit one I will not soon forget. From the in room dining woman that remembered me by name and remembered my usual order, to my bellman Brian that took so much time explaining the many automated features of my room, to the exceptional massage from Nester (he is amazing), they impressed me on every level.

This is five stars at its finest! A "not to be missed" hotel!!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room in the hotel and they are all unique.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JBHAtlanta
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear JBHAtlanta,

It was a pleasure welcoming you back to Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you were able to experience another room type on your recent visit, Hotel Bel-Air is very unique in that we have 10 different room designs and the layout is different in every single room. I found your comment regarding the toilets most entertaining…spectacular they are!

I have passed along your kind words to our staff and they were thrilled they were able to make your stay extra special. Thank you for mentioning specific team member names as this allows us to let them know how they impacted a specific guest's visit. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The most perfect hotel in the world, bar none. Quiet, elegant, secluded. The staff are so professional and helpful and warm. The pool is stunning and you don't want to leave the rooms. The restaraunt is the greatest place to eat and watch.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hnya
Dear hnya,

It is absolutely wonderful to hear you feel Hotel Bel-Air is perfect. That is the highest compliment we can receive. Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us…from the service to the rooms to the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This is a true 5 star hotel. It is very intimate with beautiful grounds. The walkways smell like jasmine. We stayed at this hotel twice. It is not unusual to see celebrities here. Our room was beautiful with a private enclosed patio. The bed was extremely comfortable. The towels and bathrobes are luxurious. The room has an iPad for service and electronic lighting controls which are a bit more complex then need be. The products in the bathroom are ample and luxurious. There is a pool and a Wolfgang Puck. This is an excellent romantic getaway but VERY expensive. Everything is expensive- even to park you car. This is a real splurge.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea T
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Andrea T,

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us and were provided a true Five Star experience and felt that your getaway was a very special one. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel for a third visit in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
West Hollywood
The London West Hollywood
The London West Hollywood
#3 of 19 in West Hollywood

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!