“5-Star Gem - The Perfect Hotel?”
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Just got back from a 3-day retreat for my Wife's birthday. We live locally, but wanted to "get away" for a weekend. We have been fortunate enough to stay in St. Regis hotels, Ritz Carlton hotels, and small, elegant boutiques all over the world.

None of them have compared to Hotel Bel-Air, which is now my favorite hotel - period. Some specifics:

1. This is a small hotel; if you want 3 restaurants and 5 bars (and the noise that go with them) go somewhere else. The HBA is about a feeling that you are sharing a country estate with a wealthy uncle.

2. Grounds: The gardens, trees, and flowers here are top notch, and the atmosphere is one of walking through a botanical garden. Immaculately kept, and some really interesting plants you do not see elsewhere. How they keep every walkway free of leaves 24/7 is a mystery to me / but they do.

3. Food: Wolfgang Puck's restaurant is excellent - order the Butter Steak. Ridiculously tender. The breakfasts (especially fresh juices) were also of caliber, with all organic eggs, veggies, etc. The biggest treat, however, is the bar. Go there for dinner and a few drinks. Think dark, New York piano bar, with live music and a great, relaxed feel.

4. Room: Simply perfect. The renovation 5 years ago shows as a modern, chic look. The bathroom in our suite was absurdly large (heated floors - mmmmmm). The bed was comfy as can be, and we had two outdoor spaces to relax. Wood-burning fireplaces, an Ipad and touch-screen phones to boot.

5. People: I saved this for last, because at top-level prices (which you will pay here), it is the usually the staff that make or break a hotel. After all, there are only so many fancy gadgets and big screen TVs to set one "5 star" apart from the other. At HBA, the people do exactly that.

The staff is incredibly friendly (not stuffy at all), and I mean everyone, from bus boy to housekeeper to manager. You cannot walk ten feet without someone saying hello and asking if they can help you with anything. I would like to mention two folks to look up in particular:

Julien, the front desk manager. There was a small issue with our room (we had booked a balcony and did not get one). In about 1 hours time, he apologized, and promised an upgrade for our second two nights. He delivered with a spectacular room and follow-up phone call to make sure it was to our liking. Again, all with a friendly attitude.

Nicole, a server at the restaurant. Ask to sit in her section. Here you are in a 5-star property, and she is like having your neighbor or best friend serving breakfast. By the second meal, she knew what we wanted, and was willing to make recommendations to improve our dining choices. Again, friendly but professional - the quintessential top-notch service you expect.

If you FORCED me to comment on a change, I found the Spa massage (which was an excellent one) to be so over-priced that it was almost silly. Fully twice the price of this massage elsewhere, it was marginally better. I would lower the prices in the spa 20% to make it more attractive and competitive with other properties. Believe me, though, I am reaching here.

Hotel Bel Air is expensive -- top dollar. But for the price, you get a far superior experience to other comparably priced properties. It might just be the perfect hotel...

Room Tip: Ask for some sort of balcony or porch - the aromas and greenery are worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank threetone
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear threetone,

Thank you so much for your detailed, and charming, review of your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I enjoyed reading every bit of it, including the commentary on the spa pricing which I will look into. It is only through feedback from our valued customers that we are able to improve our operation.

It is so gratifying to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel as much as you did .... from our enchanting grounds, to our inspired cuisine, to our guestroom appointments. And of course, there's our excellent team of service professionals. Julien and Nicole will be thrilled to know that they played a part in making your stay with us such a special one.

There is no shortage of luxury brands and superior hotels, both in LA and throughout the world, and we are so grateful that you chose Hotel Bel-Air. It's wonderful to know that you appreciate how special our beloved hotel is, and that you felt so well cared for during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Bel-Air

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights en-route to Hawaii. Great way to break up the travel time. What a fabulous start to our vacation. We lit a fire after dinner and fell asleep with the embers glowing. The room was gorgeous, food fantastic and grounds were beautiful. It was hard to believe we were in downtown Los Angeles because if felt like a country retreat. Close to great shopping too. I had the most amazing pedicure in the spa. The manicurist was really top notch. Fitness facilities were adequate - did the job. Breakfasts were terrific and we had a great lunch and dinner there as well. Will have very happy memories of the Bel-Air. If you're planning a trip from the east coast to Hawaii, this is the perfect spot to have a stop-over and orient yourself time-wise.

4  Thank Pauline T
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Pauline T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay…from the from the room, to the spa, to the food …and yes, breakfast is terrific at Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air! It puts a huge smile on my face knowing that you have created happy memories during your stay and would recommend Hotel Bel-Air as the perfect spot to have a stop-over when traveling. It's wonderful that you were also able to experience the spa and enjoy a pedicure.

We too think the hotel's enchanting setting in the heart of the city, yet seemingly so far away from it all, is what makes the hotel so very special. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to your next visit. Why not a quick stop by on your way home?
Best wishes and enjoy your time in Hawaii.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Certainly the most beautiful hotel within a major city in my experience. We arrived early and waited for our room in a sun-lit courtyard, which may be the only smoking area, while our room was prepared. I enjoyed an excellent Bloody Mary, my wife a nice Riesling. Before we could down our drinks our room was ready - rather than leave us waiting, the front desk staff moved things around to get us in a room as soon as they could. I took a bit longer, but managed to finish my cigar. Having been left hanging by so many other properties, I really appreciated this accommodation.

We wound up with a room in the 470 series, a bit far from reception, but convenient to the pool and spa. The skylit bathroom contained a large soaking tub, stall shower with one of those four head waterfall shower heads, toilet cabinet and a large double sink. Two plush bathrobes and plentiful towels of the finest quality. Amenities by Anne Semonin.Unfortunately they lasted through our stay so I didn't get refills to take home. Quelle dommage!

The bedroom held a plush king sized bed, console with min-bar, drawers and safe, a writing table and a sitting area with a couch and lounge chair. The room was quite comfortable. There was a small walled in patio at the back which we never used as we preferred to sit by the pool. The lighting and thermostat was controlled by an Alcatel system using touch screens on the phones - a bit complicated but logical enough once you mastered it. There was also a wood burning fireplace which required calling a staff member to ignite - we never got around to it. The TV was by Bang and Olufsen, and swiveled to be visible from the lounge area and the bed. A bit of California citrus greeted us on arrival and water bottles were provided throughout our stay at no charge.

The pool area was large - larger than say the Wilshire, Ermitage and Fairmont which are my mist recent reference points for comparison.The pool staff were very accommodating, covering the chairs, bringing towels and water, etc. Much better pool side service than the Beverly Hilton. The pool had a deep end reaching ten feet, much more enjoyable than the awful shallow lap pools at so many hotels these days. And maybe we were just lucky but the parents of small children actually shushed their kids my noisy ones are now in college, so I appreciated their consideration. In sum, the pool is an oasis that we visited each day of our stay.

We spent about an hour walking the grounds one morning and were rewarded with exotic flowers, magnificent trees and the company of two well fed, lordly swans. Not to be missed.

Our package included a credit toward breakfast so we took that meal on property each day. Avoid the booths at the back and sit in the sunshine - better service there. We had the Bel Air breakfast the first day as it looked like the best value - basically a typical meat, eggs, potatoes and bread breakfast with coffee and fresh squeezed juice at $35. But you will do much better to order one of the egg dishes - the wild mushroom and bacon omelet, the egg white and herb frittata or the huevos rancheros, and pair them with the bread basket, which serves two. The egg dishes are excellent, particularly the omelet, but the bread basket is the best thing on the menu. A plain croissant, a pan au chocolat, a sugar brioche, a schneken, and two ficelles. The latter are so good they don't even need jam. Good butter. The whole basket tastes like something you would get a top rank Paris hotel Coffee, served from plunger pots, was a bit underwhelming - a caffe latte was better.

Chef Puck's dishes are available in the Bar, as was the man himself, who came to the tables to greet the guests and press the flesh. He gamely posed for photos for some. A bourbon and Aperol cocktail was spot on and the wine was excellent. The only con being the loud crowd who drowned out the piano player. The latter was an accomplished musician, who laid down some nice improvisations on Elton John tunes -instrumentals only.A Tuscan pizza was delicious, but the crust could have been crisper- an A not an A+. The snack mix and olives were of good quality. We made plans to dine the last night, but cancelled as we feared the airport traffic -- Jamzilla was on, so I can't comment on dinner. The night we were to dine the chef was written up in the LA Times,

Cons - very few. If you are coming during hot weather or in the unlikely event of rain, rooms in the 400s and 500s are going to be far from reception/parking so bear that in mind. The hotel charges $35 a day for parking plus 10% tax. Given that the location makes arrival on foot or by public transportation impossible, there is no way around this and I feel it should be less- you are not bringing a car into the heart of the city where a charge like this would be more palatable. The B&O TV is actually a con - the screen is small, it is slow to warm up and respond to commands and the remote, despite its pleasing heft has tiny buttons.

Overall this is a wonderful hotel and worth the steep price of admission. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the heart of things I think the 200 and 300 series rooms would fit the bill.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jazz_and_cocktails
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Jazz_and_cocktails,

Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review of your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I must admit that after reading your wonderful opening line, "Certainly the most beautiful hotel in a major city," there was almost no need to read any further! But of course I read on, and I am so glad I did as I was able to hear more about all that you enjoyed at the property.

Needless to say, I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and that you highly recommend the hotel. There is no greater compliment than knowing you would encourage others to stay with us. I was also thrilled to hear that you appreciated the service provided by our team members, whether at the reception desk upon check in, at the bar while listening to live music, or while you were dining at Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air. We are committed to providing the highest levels of service for all our guests, in all areas of the operation, and it's so gratifying to know that we achieved this during your stay. And seeing Chef Puck walking through the restaurant is always great fun. Hopefully next time you return you will be able to enjoy dinner and not have to rush off to head to the airport. I also think you made the right decision by spending every day at the pool. It is indeed a place we like to consider a true oasis to relax and unwind, and all just minutes from the busy city. As for the hotel's lush grounds and scenic gardens, what can I say? We are privileged to be in such an enchanting setting.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our recent stay at the Hotel Bel Air was amazing. Self-touted as 5-star hotel, they definitely proved they are worth every star during our stay. Staff are genuinely courteous, the accommodations are top-notch, with every amenity in the rooms that you could possibly dream of, and the grounds are beautiful, especially Swan Lake. Add to this the pairing of the on-site La Prairie full-service spa where you can have a caviar full body massage and facial; and a gorgeous Wolfgang Puck restaurant the most decadent, delicious meals and you will find yourself never wanting to leave. Especially loved our private patio where we enjoyed late morning breakfasts, and I want to thank Estelle in in-room dining, for going the extra mile when we had a small order snafu.

I'm counting the days until our next getaway!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sashak808,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us .... from the courteous staff, to our "amenity-filled" guestrooms, to our enchanting grounds (complete with swans!) It's wonderful that you were able to enjoy The Spa by La Prairie and Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air. These are two of the hotel's signature features and definitely worth experiencing. Thank you as well for letting me know that Estelle was able to go the extra-mile to help with your experience with us. I will be sure to share this with her and I know she will be so pleased to receive this feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Bel-Air on your next getaway!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Let me open up my remarks as I take the floor to acknowledge that the staff at the Hotel Bel-Air is superb. Concierge Gwen is amazing. When she leaned in to tell me nose-to-nose "Mr. G., there are no more Mom and Pop stores. There are only humongous national chains. The Bel-Air Hotel you knew over the last 30+ years is no longer here. It is in the Dorchester Collection--this is corporate running the show." I didn't like to hear it, but I understood. She is a great, calm, cool and collected staff member.I got lost driving home to Arizona and Dawn, a mainstay at the Bel-Air for eons talked me onto the right roads to get back on track. I am one who should be driven everywhere but the heavens leave the driving to me. Thanks God for steady and smart Dawn.Then the Manager on duty, when I complained about my room, asked if I was willing to escalate room rate and I said I was not. The Manager took the course in corporate-takeover. 'Give them nothing but what they pay for. If they want another room, charge them. The days of upgrades, even available, are over and finished.' I stayed where I was, room 369 with a patio. The weather was too cold to sit out with clients, so I threw a blanket around their shoulders or we sat inside.

Now for the disappointments. I did not like the sterile, though beautiful, appointments in the room. Hotel Bel-Air was a beautiful cottage with such attractive furnishings and drapes--it said, "come right in, sit right down, and do whatever $600 a night will let you do." There are so many new-fangled gadgets--a button to control lighting, a "do not disturb, "walk right in, don't knock' selection also how to contact the Operator and Room Service--that it is intimidating to say the least. I locked myself in the bathroom and luckily there was a phone near the loo and I called and two men came to let me out. I couldn't stop thinking about, how if a 96 year-old dowager locked herself in and couldn't get out, she would lose her cotton-picking mind. Not a pretty picture.

I did not like the food, generally. The lobster salad tasted old and too tart. The tortilla soup was as thin a broth as you'll find in Devonshire. I loved the granola and skim milk at breakfast, however. You have to dig my drift: I have stayed at the Hotel Bel-Air for so long and for so many years that Joan Collins thought I was rich enough to marry!

They charged $40 a day for my car when I never used it except to leave. In the old days (don't you hate it when you hear someone refer to the way it was?) the valets were more personable. Now you know they work for Sir Knight's Parking Lot Emporium--as sterile as the rooms.

I want to end with an up note--the grounds are as beautiful as they always were. The ugly ducklings continue to morph into swans. The Spa has a manicurist from El Salvador who gave me the best manicure in the history of my having had most of the rotten ones. She did a hand scrub and massage that put me into a better place. O, and I must say that the bed was so comfortable I never wanted to get up.

Will I ever go back to the Hotel Bel-Air? Probably when I have taken a non-addictive sedative or get rich enough to buy it from Dorchester Collection and restore it to its former glory. Nancy Reagan used always to be eating in the formal dining room. I don't think she's been back because she is still with us.

Room Tip: Whatever you opt for , you are stuck with unless you are willing to pony-up more money. There are no...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Albert G

Dear SagePrince,

Thank you for writing a detailed review on your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. As you can imagine, I am deeply saddened to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. But please know that I do greatly appreciate the feedback you provided us with, as it is so important that we know how all of our guests feel about the hotel.

I am sorry that the new room appointments are not to your taste or liking, and that you did not like the cuisine in general. Know that I will share your comments about the lobster salad and tortilla soup with the chef so we can ensure that we are delivering a quality food product on a consistent basis. Clearly the valet parking service you experienced is not reflective of the Five Star standards that we are known for. This is made extra unfortunate by the fact that the valet is the first point of contact upon arrival, and last point of contact upon departure. I do find some comfort, however, in knowing that you found the service "superb," and that you enjoyed interacting with many members of our team. And yes, the hotel's enchanting setting and magical grounds are so very special.

Despite the physical changes that have taken place, the heart and soul of Hotel Bel-Air is timeless and we all feel a tremendous responsibility to uphold the hotel's storied heritage and iconic past. Should you ever reconsider returning to the hotel, I would ask that you contact me directly so I can personally oversee your arrangements. It is my sincere hope that you will allow us another opportunity to restore your faith in our beloved hotel.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles is by far the most luxurious among hotels in LA, nay in the world. The hotel was completely refurbished. The style is Spanish and the accommodations ultra luxurious. The service matches the high standards set. The gardens are large and feature a pond with swans. The style is 1950s and the décor matches the period. The outdoor pool is beautiful. The Lounge and Bar is quaint with nice view of the gardens and features a piano and a couple of fireplaces. Additionally, some breast beating photographs of stalwarts in the technology, film and music fields are featured in the bar. The restaurant is well managed by a professional chef who prepares cuisine, which is a fusion of the Mediterranean. The suites have a remote control fire pit made famous by Hollywood and plunge pool with loungers as well.

1  Thank PardShermanS

Dear PardShermanS,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled you consider us to be by far the most luxurious hotels in LA, may it be in the world. Our enchanting gardens are truly what makes the hotel so special, along with a team of dedicated professionals who wish to provide a service of the highest standards to each one of our guests.

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in Los Angeles and Hotel Bel-Air in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I had a "extra stolen day" on a trip to LA to see friends. So we booked a room at the Bel Air at the last moment. What a wonderful escape. The room was beautiful. The bar had a Jazz group and dinner was delightful. The next morning we took in the spa to make our stolen day complete. While a little expensive it was well worth it. We never felt a need to leave the grounds.

Room Tip: Room 369 has a huge terrace to enjoy,
1  Thank sourboy97
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear sourboy97,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to relax and escape for a night. We hope to welcome you back for a longer stay next time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#10 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!