Hotel Bel-Air
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$215
US$319
US$284
US$259
US$235
US$497
  • Pool
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
US$591
US$463
US$174
US$138
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
US$451
  • Beachfront
US$320
US$245
  • Pool
All reviewswolfgang puckthe beverly hills hotella prairie spadorchester collectionswan lakestone canyonpolo loungecanyon suitesheated floorswood burning fireplacebest hotels in the worldsister propertymoment you arriveroom servicefavorite hotelpool staffbeautiful hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Set up in the hills, this luxury hideaway was a great spot for us to relax for a couple of days.
The fabulous pool was great for lounging, with Evian on tap and the best Marguaritas! The staff were great and often greeted us by name as we walked around the hotels wonderful gardens.
We had a room with a private patio which was great value compared to other California hotels. The highlight of our stay was being served a candlelit dinner on our patio - not the usual standard of room service!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PandEKew
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We recently completed a four day stay at the Hotel Belair. I would have to say we were disappointed. I note ,after reading other reviews, that we are in the minority. But our issues seem to be the same as others who were disappointed had. In general the service was excellent and everyone seemed to be really trying very hard. Given the physical plant they have to work with I can understand. More on this later. We arrived around 6PM and were apologetically told that our room wasn't ready yet and we were offered free cocktails and drinks while we waited. Certainly appropriate and very nice. She mentioned that the room was by the pool. I was worried that this would not be quiet as I had requested when I made my reservation. I had been told not to worry as all the rooms were quiet so I didn't worry. When we got to the room it was clearly not quiet. The voices of children playing in the pool was disconcerting to say the least and this was 7 o'clock. I can't imagine what it would be like earlier in the day. Perhaps they were having us wait hoping the kids would be gone? The room's window faced the patio which was quite exposed to the pool area thus making it impossible to open the drape and maintain any semblance of privacy. I noted that the drape was drawn when we were shown the room and I fully understand why. I said that this room was not acceptable and at first was told that they had no others available but that they would see if they could change our room the next day. I was then getting more upset and finally they did indeed have another room. The other room they moved us to was quiet and faced a beautiful garden area. It was, unfortunately, very small (at least at the room rate of over $600 a night with tax). Everything was really crammed in and there was really no sitting area other than the desk, the bed and the outdoor patio. It was about the size of the small standard rooms at The Beverly Hills Hotel years ago before they did the major renovation. The bed was very nice but the bathroom was small, cramped and not up to the luxury standards that should be appropriate here. Little details were just not up to snuff (the towels were thin and worn rather than fluffy and luxurious etc.). One morning we were woken up by hammering, banging, sawing and drilling in the room next door. I called to complain and they said they would speak to security (?). Finally they called back after 30 minutes to say they were making repairs. I feel that a hotel of this supposed level of quality and service should go the extra mile and check to see if we had left our room (check the do not disturb sign) before turning our next door room into a construction site and waking us up. I noted no offer of breakfast, cocktails etc. for this intrusion. We did have dinner at the restaurant and it was excellent. I have been staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel for many years and feel there is no comparison. The Hotel Belair seems like The Beverly Hills Hotel years ago before the renovation brought it up to current luxury standards. All in all, as you walk in, walk around etc. it seems like a step-down imitation of The Beverly Hills. Great staff, disappointing hotel

• Stayed: August 2008
6  Thank ultimatefood
Reviewed 20 August 2008

between about 15 hummingbirds. They were MAD and apparently ‘couldn’t get along’. The stay went up from there. The room was very comfortable. The porter showed me how to work the wood burning fireplace in the room. This confused me since Bel Air is in Los Angeles, and August is the middle of, like, summer. Later, I had to wait about 30 minutes for a seat at the bar – the place was packed with (rich) locals. The food was terrific, but got cold as I spent too much time talking to the bartender who was fascinating and, much to my surprise, was NOT AN ASPIRING ACTOR!
Seriously – I have stayed at more 5 star hotels than I can count. And I rarely arrive at a property and say ‘wow – this is cool’. Well, I said to myself when I arrived here. The grounds of this hotel outdo the nicest botanical garden I have ever visited by a wide margin: comfortable, calm, thickly wooded, and just beautiful. This is just a stellar property and managed accordingly. If there is a nicer hotel in LA, I haven’t seen it. This one ranks near the top of my list worldwide of any hotel in any category. If you go, make sure to greet the pet swans near the front pond.
I would note that this hotel is not terribly near the normal attractions you would want to see in Los Angeles, so a car is necessary.
The only complaint I had with my stay was the morning paper was the *despicable* NY Times. I had expressly asked for a WSJ, but apparently they have trouble, in LA, getting the weekend version of the WSJ. This, for a hotel of this caliber, was a little hard to believe ….

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mike_la_jolla
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Our adult family came to LA to view a special exhibit at the Getty Center and we stayed at the Hotel Bel Air for 4 nights in the middle of August. The hotel is tucked up in the hills, away from the hustle and bustle, in beautiful Bel Air. There is nothing within walking distance as it is a totally residential area. The hotel is extremely quiet, no traffic or other loud noises. It is all open-air with tiled walkways beautifully landscaped with mature plantings, trees and flowers. We especially enjoyed the pool area which was surrounded with palm trees and where the service was outstanding.
The food was fresh and delicious, especially the salads, and the berries and other fruit. Gorgeous and very tasty.
The staff was polite and friendly and always happy to go the extra mile. No request too small for immediate attention. All in all it was a very relaxing, rejuvenating experience.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank seattlefamilyoffive
Reviewed 18 August 2008

This was my second stay at this fabulous property. I'd arrived on an overseas flight from he** the morning I checked in. Despite the fact that check-in is 3pm, they promptly accommodated my arrival at 11:30 am, and were gracious enough to give me the specific room I had requested that I'd enjoyed the year before.

The people who work there are unobtrusive but extremely accommodating. I called to schedule a spa appointment, and was given an in-room appointment for the following morning. I called to inquire about using a microwave, and was asked did I want room service to heat my item up for me or should they bring a microwave to the room--no charge. They promptly brought a tub mat and foam pillow to the room when requested. The airline broke a piece of my luggage and the concierge recommended a wonderful luggage store (I ended up buying 2 pieces!!). Truly, no request is too great.

The Restaurant is wonderful. . .I had a fabulous steak dinner the night before Ieft. Service and setting are both superb.

The gardens and ponds are legendary, as they should be. I was stopped on my walk one morning as I watched a hummingbird go from one flower to another. And I spent much time enjoying breakfast each morning on "my" patio with its own little fountain...what a life.

But my absolute favorite part of this property is the swimming pool. There is no other pool like it. . .so beautiful and serene, incredibly relaxing--it's a wonderful place to while away an hour, have lunch, or actually swim! They maintain the water at a steady 82 degrees. . . Ahhhhh. . .

I believe myself to be a hotel junkie--I love to try different hotels every time I travel to a city. . .but from now on in LA, there's no reason to "hotel shop" anymore. I will gladly consider the Hotel Bel Air my home away from home as often as I can.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo