“No Other Hotel Will Compare!”
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“No Other Hotel Will Compare!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The first thing I had to do, after returning from the Hotel Bel-Air, was write this review; I will follow up with a letter to the hotel Manager!

YES - the hotel is (rather) expensive - but I honestly think the price is worthy of the service and accommodations - people that complain about price, without staying, shouldn't be allowed to review - and if you complain about not being treated, literally, like a King or Pop Princess...re-think your review, please. If price is your complaint...remember the hotel name...Bel-Air!

I guess over the years I have come to expect the best from hotels when they call themselves five star - few actually live up to that rating, especially in the United States. My stay was 100% relaxation - and it was possible to not think about work at all!

Upon arrival at the valet, I was greeted by a full staff of valets; bags out and showing me the way to the hotel reception, as if I've never been (they don't assume, they just lend a hand). After an early morning of flying, a nice, honestly delivered, greeting was pleasant.

Across the historic bridge, past the swans, I was in a Garden of Eden; and it smelled amazing. Check-in was a breeze; thanks to Nicole, "we've been expecting you!"

I was early, so while my room was waiting a clean-up approval, I headed to Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air; AMAZING! One of the best Huevos Rancheros I have ever had! Not only did it look amazing, but tasted great and seemed healthier than normal. First class service at this restaurant; real team work...and this was at 11AM, not busy dinner hours where you'd expect this service. The entire staff there was on their game and should be commended!

Finishing up, I received a call that the room was ready - I was greeted at reception by a bellman and he showed me to my room; a very nice Canyon Suite. After a tour of the room, and some basic instructions on how to use the advanced gadgets, I was ready to do nothing over the next few days. A knock on the door...and a lovely arrangement of various oranges from the gardens was delivered - along with a bottle of water, I lounged at the patio spa overlooking the grounds - complete quietness (aside from some construction nearby - this is one of two frustrations, but not enough to give a negative feedback).

The bar staff at The Bar & Lounge was also to be complimented; personable & friendly - they never let you down. I spent a few hours here! The spa is also worthy of a visit - you can lose track of time (which is the point) here. Something about three letter words that make you forget your troubles...SPA...BAR...

The bad...this time...the neighborhood construction...someone has to build those massive mansions - it seemed to start early on Saturday morning. Also, twice my room key did not work - it was free and clear of any demagnetization - I was meeting someone and had to drop off some personal items in my room my card didn't work so I called the reception - I gave up waiting after ten minutes - no big deal - I got another card in the time. Also, I called a few times about a constant noise coming from what must have been the pump to the spa in my patio - all I wanted to know was if it turns off...it woke me several times...until I finally fell asleep. The service here is top notch...I was surprised this was never addressed or at the least, someone tell me it's typical and won't shut off - I think I'd opt not to have the spa and get uninterrupted sleep.

OK - complaints over.

The staff is fantastic; friendly - if you are approaching them in a corridor, they step to the side and greet you - that's classy...I felt like the President!

Very little is wrong with this hotel...and I will be back and HIGHLY recommend it for a spoiled get-away! I received a credit at their sister property, The Beverly Hills Hotel...however, having stayed at both, the service at Hotel Bel-Air surpasses the BHH!

Room Tip: Canyon Suites are great rooms away from it all!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NotAPickyTravler
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear NotAPickyTravler,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from your room, to the restaurant, to the spa, and most of all the service.

It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed your Canyon View Suite. These accommodations are among our most popular and it's great that you were able to experience this unique suite product. The spacious patio, with its fireplace, Jacuzzi and lovely views, is so special. I am, however, sorry to hear that the noise of the tub was disturbing you and that we did not follow up on it. This is not representative of our five star service levels and I will investigate this further. I am also sorry to hear that you were aware of some construction work taking place outside, and apologize again for the issues you encountered with your room key. We will look
into these issues to see how we can best prevent them from happening again.

All of your kind words about your suite, the bar and restaurant, and our spa are great to hear. However, what means the most to me is knowing that you felt so well cared for by our great team of service professionals. Thank you for referencing so many of our team members by name, as I am now able to reach out to them individually and let them know how they made such a positive impact on your stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in very soon.

Denise Flanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April, and were bowled over by this charming hotel. The staff were friendly, gracious, and highly accommodating. The decor is understated elegance and very tasteful. Nice touches included automatic subdued lighting in the bathroom, TB above the tub, and probably the nicest bathrobes of any hotel I've stayed in. The pool and grounds are very beautiful.

We were so impressed, that we booked into the Beverly Hills Hotel (it's sister hotel in LA) the following week just to compare. I preferred Hotel Bel Air as it is more modern and has an intimate atmosphere.

I would note this was perfect for a relaxing break, however, if you are looking for a wild weekend in LA this is not the place. One minor criticism is the lack of wardrobe space and the bathroom was quite small (albeit spotless and very well equipped).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Andrew P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your time with us ... from the friendly service, to the elegant décor of the room, to the fluffy bathrobes. We receive a lot of great comments about them! And yes, we are so fortunate to have such an ideal setting and enchanting grounds.

Please know that I will share your kind words with our great team here. In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is one of the best places to stay in LA. The atmosphere is fantastic and luxurious the moment you walk in the front door.
The accomodations are lovely, clean, environmentally superb (peaceful surroundings) and the staff is excellent.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ghcomments
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear ghcomments,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear that you consider us ‘one of the best places to stay in LA.' We know that are a variety of wonderful hotels to choose from in the LA area, so your kind words really do mean a great deal to us. It's great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel ... from the atmosphere, to our accommodations, to the service levels you experienced throughout your visit. This is just how it should be! I also thank you for recommending us to your friends and family, as there is no greater complement than this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

First and foremost, I felt a little out of place being that I was pulling up the driveway in an average car as opposed to the Bentleys and Benzes everywhere. I thought I would mistreated based on my lower status. Boy, was I wrong.

I was treated with the utmost respect from the time I checked in, until the time I checked out.

The service of the employees was beyond anything that I ever expected. Upon every request, I received a "yes sir" with no hassle or hesitation whatsoever.

My favorite part of the stay was check in when we were immediately told that we were upgraded to a suite as opposed to our Grand Deluxe Room. Me and my fiance were filled with joy.

All in all, this has been the best vacation I have ever taken and that is heavily due to the hospitality of The Hotel Bel
Air. If you enjoy great scenery all around accompanied by great service and rooms, feel free to check in at The Hotel Bel Air. You won't regret it. Thank you for the memorable stay! I'll be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear errolmccant,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that this was the "best vacation you have ever taken" due to the hospitality you enjoyed during your visit. This is the type of experience we strive to create for each and every guest, and its wonderful to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your visit. And it's great to know that we were able to upgrade you and your fiancé to one of our spacious suites. This always makes for a very pleasant surprise!

Please know that I will share your kind words about our service team with everyone in the hotel. They will be so pleased to know that they had such an impact on your stay. I also thank you for recommending us to your friends and family, as this means a great deal to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

It is a very beautiful hotel, the pool is nice. The rooms are very far from the rest of the hotel. They are bungalows, and we got stuck in the farther place of the hotel. The price was not worth it for the room, but it was decent and nice. It is quiet and if you're looking for peace and don't mind the price, go and stay!!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Irantraveller
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Irantraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad you think the hotel is beautiful and enjoyed the pool and the peaceful settings. I am, however, sorry to hear that your guestroom did not live up to your expectations. One of the hotel's unique features is the variety of room types we offer, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly about the different accommodations throughout the hotel. Please do contact me directly so we can best meet your needs next time.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I just go back to NY from a West Coast Trip and I have to say that my stay at the Hotel Bel-Air was one of the best hotel experiences I have had in a long time.

The Hotel - itself just went through a thorough renovation, I stayed here a few times a few years back and the lobby and reception are completely new and modern. They left the outside the same, which is good because it is an incredible setting...swans and all.

The Rooms - were also remodeled, they are big, with beautiful luxurious décor and, every amenity that you would expect from a world class hotel, we even had a very large private patio.

The Service - was spectacular, The hotel manager was super accommodating. We didn't like the location of our first room...it was a little far from the restaurant and pool, so he immediately changed our room to a closer one, and even offered an upgrade.

The Restaurant - is beautiful, but the best place to eat is the patio - the service was excellent and the food was perfectly prepared, we didn't have dinner there but we had breakfast and brunch. It is a great place to sit relax and watch all the interesting people...it was quite the scene on a Sunday afternoon, a mix of tourists and locals.

The Bar - is an amazing place with a feel of a private club, they have a pianist every night, the room can get a bit load, but that only adds to the ambiance. We had the pleasure of being served by Elan (sp?) and Alex, and by the time we left they felt like old friends. The drinks were creative and strong, just a great place to relax, and enjoy life

The Pool - The one area I don't think they did much work to in the renovation, and it seems a bit dated, The service was good, but the pool got a bit busy and the woman working the pool that day didn't have any help, she was moving chairs, opening umbrellas, and making the drinks. Felt bad for her...she was very nice.

Overall - this is a great place to come and feel like a star, and the staff will make sure of that. Everyone was helpful...from the car attendants to housekeeping to the front desk and the concierge. I would highly recommend this place and will certainly be going back soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear andrew e,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay with us. I am thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us - this is just what we love to hear! I am glad you enjoyed the refreshed and updated look of the hotel. We felt a tremendous responsibility to maintain the hotel's beloved individuality while making it relevant and appealing to the next generation of Hotel Bel-Air guests. And it is wonderful that you noticed that we did not alter our enchanting gardens and grounds in any way. They truly are one of the things that makes this hotel so special.

I am glad to hear that our front desk manager was able to provide you with a room that was not too distant from the restaurant and the pool. And once in this room, it's great to know that you enjoyed it ... from its size, to its patio, to its added amenities.

I am also so pleased that you enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast and brunch. Next time, you must try it for dinner ... especially on the patio. It really is a very special al fresco dining experience. I also appreciate you referencing several of our team members in The Bar by name. Please know that I will be sure you share your kind words with them. And no visit to the hotel would be complete without a dip in our legendary pool. As you noted, it's true ... we barely changed it at all. Thank you, as well, for your comments on the service you received here.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Essex
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this place. It was a last minute decision to stay here before going across to Vegas, and it was definitely the right decision.

Everything is in great settings, the rooms are amazing and the staff great. They even posted a postcard back to our pals in the UK for us.

Really helpful, would recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Harvor,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am so glad to hear that you decided to give us a try and thought it was ‘the right decision." From the settings, to the room, to the staff, to the service, it seems as if you enjoyed. This is just what we want to hear. We truly appreciate your kind words and we look forward to your next visit. And may we suggest a quick stop by on your way home from Vegas?

Best wishes and enjoy your visit to Las Vegas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#3 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
Montage Beverly Hills
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!