“A post-renovation visit: A terrific update to the Bel-Air, but the service didn't reach prior levels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #1 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
New Albany, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife, 16 year old son, and I spent three nights at the Hotel Bel-Air in March, 2014. I highly recommend the hotel.

This won’t be my usual review, however. This was our first stay at the Bel-Air since its 2009-2011 renovation (and replacement of the overwhelming portion of the staff). The old Bel-Air was one of my favorite hotels in the world, and engendered many stories of the polished, thoughtful and imaginative service that I still tell when I talk about wonderful hotels. Some examples are included in my prior review from July 28, 2008. I had no doubt the updated facilities would be terrific (the old Bel-Air was ready for an update). The question for this stay was: how would the service compare?

First, some basics. I elected to stay in the new “Canyon” portion of the hotel. In part, I was curious. But I also didn’t want to have any feelings about the changes in décor in the older portion influence my evaluation of the service.

We had a one bedroom Canyon Suite (upgraded from a “Premier Canyon Guestroom”). Our son had a “Premier Canyon Guestroom” (upgraded from a “Canyon Guestroom”). The rooms were fabulous. Comfortable seating areas, great lighting and HVAC, spacious patios (with hot tubs). Our suite had a ½ bath to go with the full bathroom. I was more than satisfied with the rooms, and applaud the design. Maybe my only comment would be that it is not clear to me that a Canyon Suite is necessarily preferred to a Premier Canyon Guestroom. Space-wise, they were about the same. The main distinction was that a Canyon Suite had a separate living room, while the Premier Canyon Guestroom was simply a very large room. The views from the Premier Canyon Guestroom, however, were fabulous and made me somewhat ambivalent about our upgrade.

I’ll share a quibble or two about the rooms later on.

Now, to the service, by category:

Reception and Departure: (Grade: B+)

I count here not only the front desk at check-in and check-out, but also how we were received in general

When I made the reservations, I told the travel agent that we were coming back for a return visit (our first since the renovation) and that we were visiting LA as part of our son’s college search process – I asked her to make sure she told the hotel. She assured me she relayed my message. I repeated this to the Bel-Air concierge when I had dealings to make dinner reservations. The idea was: would the hotel pick up on the college visit point, and leave a note (or make some other gesture) for our son? This was a bonus service opportunity – I’d only expect something to be done at places with service like the old Bel-Air, The Carlyle, or the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong.

As it happens, no one picked up on the college visit point. More surprisingly, there was never any indication – at check in, in the room, or otherwise – that we had stayed at the hotel before (5 times, in fact). All we received was a generic “welcome” note. It was almost as if Dorchester inherited an empty previous guest list.

Our check-in went smoothly. The staff was very friendly and engaging. However, no one mentioned that we had been upgraded. It took me a while to figure out why our son had the better view since I had made the original booking looking forward to a view from a Premier Canyon Guestroom.

Check-out was also smooth, although there was what I would call a service faux pas. I had decided to offer a tip to the concierge that had helped us with multiple dinner reservations. Sitting at the concierge desk while we were checking out was another concierge who had been friendly and helpful, but in the normal kind of way that I don’t normally tip. I opted to hand the envelope with the other concierge’s name on it to the desk clerk, since I was a bit sensitive about letting the concierge at the desk know I wasn’t tipping him. No matter – the reception clerk marched right over and handed the envelope to him. That gets a demerit, in my view.

Valet Parking/Bell Staff: A+

All valet staffs dream of being the Bel-Air’s valet staff. Not only are you glad to hand off your car to them, you also hope they marry your daughter. Before and after the renovation, the valet staff has been welcoming, gracious, and sensitive to their guests’ needs. It doesn’t matter if you driving up in a rented Dodge Avenger (as we were) or a Ferrari, you get the same first class treatment. The bell staff whisked our bags away on arrival, and they arrived rapidly to our rooms after check-in.

Housekeeping: A-

Everything went smoothly across all three nights. The main reason for a mark down here was that evening turn down seemed to arrive between 6pm to 6:30pm (that’s way too early, in my view. I’m normally getting ready for dinner then).

Restaurant: A-

We had three breakfasts and one dinner at Wolfgang Puck at the Bel-Air. The normal service items – how we were served, greeted, assisted – were at a high level. I also chose to test the service with two special mentions: (1) first, we were celebrating my birthday and (2) second, I wanted gifts delivered to the table exactly at the moment we received our coffees after dinner.

The “gift with coffee” test was intended to see if the restaurant could repeat an experience from 14 years ago. It was my wife’s birthday, and so I delivered a gift to the maître d’ in the late afternoon, with the request: “Could you bring this to the table when we have our coffee?” Five hours later, the gift was delivered precisely as requested.

The restaurant passed the “gift with coffee” test with flying colors. When we received our coffee, the gifts appeared. Bravo.

The markdown is due to a failure of something that is normally the easy one – birthday celebrations. Granted, it was my birthday, and I had made the arrangements. That said, I specifically had a conversation with the restaurant maître d’ when I presented the gift for later delivery and mentioned it was my birthday. Nonetheless, when the desserts arrived, the candle was on my son’s dessert. The waiter recovered nicely, and shortly thereafter presented me with a small plate of mignardises with a candle.

Miscellaneous Requests: D

I wasn’t sure where to place this one, so I put it under “miscellaneous”. On the day we had dinner at the restaurant, our dinner guests were to arrive an hour or so before. I decided to pick up a bottle of champagne while we were out and about during the day. I called the Bel-Air reception, and asked that a bucket of ice (with five champagne flutes) be delivered to the room at 5:00pm. I mentioned that it was likely that no one would be in the room at the time. The request was noted, and the ice bucket and flutes promised. When we arrived back in the room at 5:15pm – no ice or flutes. I waited till 5:30pm just to see if something would show up late. Nope, nothing did. So, I placed a call to inquire – apologies were offered and the ice and flutes showed up very shortly thereafter. That said, the hotel really dropped the ball on this service request.

Overall Service: A-

So, how’d the Bel-Air do? Judged in isolation, this was a very fine stay, service wise. Compared to the pre-renovation Bel-Air, this service was less polished, and certainly not perfect (as we had experienced on most of our prior stays). The front desk faux pas and the ice bucket failure made the most difference, in my view. If you’ve not stayed at the Bel-Air before the renovation, you’ll likely find the service terrific. If you have, then I’m hoping that the current incarnation grows into the old level of service.

Some Room Comments

I’ve seem more and more new and newly renovated high end properties putting in electronic control systems for their rooms. In concept, I don’t mind the idea. The problem is, the ones I experienced so far – at the Peninsula Chicago, the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas, and the Bel-Air – don’t work reliably. The Bel-Air system came the closest to working, but I still could never turn the lights in our living room on with the wall switches. I had to go to the iPad or the phone controls to do it. Ditto, from time to time, with the dressing area lights. The iPad also crashed on us the first day (and, at the same time, the phone handset quit working, almost driving me to distraction), and we had to get a technology person to the room to show us how re-boot it.

So, from my standpoint, the technology is something that detracts from the stay. If I need something, at this price point I want to talk to a person, and talk to them immediately. Maybe I’d do an electronic request at a Hyatt Place, but not at the Bel-Air.

Conclusion

My technology quibbles and the service critique aside, however, I’d be happy to return to the Bel-Air. It’s just lost a little bit of its magic right now – hopefully the magic will return as the staff settles in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank OrrvilleRedRider
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear OrrvilleRedRider,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you 'highly recommend the hotel', and that you appreciated the physical changes that were made to the hotel, while retaining the heart of soul of Hotel Bel-Air and upholding its storied heritage and iconic past.

It is so wonderful to know that you enjoyed your Canyon suite and guestrooms. These accommodations are among our most popular so it is great to know that you decided to experience these and enjoyed the décor as well as the patio with its fireplace, Jacuzzi and lovely views.

All of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear, and I am very happy that you enjoyed a special dinner at Wolfgang Puck on your birthday. I am, however, sorry to hear that you encountered some service issues, as this is certainly not reflective of the Five Star standards that we set ourselves. I also apologize for the problems you encountered with the technology within your room as well, so please rest assured that we will look into all of these to see how we can best prevent them from happening again.

Please do accept my most sincere apologies once more, and I do look forward to welcoming you back soon, and providing you with the true Five star experience that we are known for.

Denise Flanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights in a suite with a whirlpool. Beautiful room, beautiful hotel set in a beautiful garden. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The pool area is ok but doesn't keep up with the rest of the hotel. It could be done over. Otherwise, hotel would be highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear IstanbulSenator1,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our suite and appreciated our beautiful grounds. I am also glad that you received a helpful and friendly service from our team of serviced professionals. Thank you as well for your comments regarding the pool, I will discuss these with the team to see how we can best ameliorate this iconic area of the hotel.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Loved staying here the hotel is very quiet not close to the city but close enough.
Staff all very friendly and helpful.
Using ipads to order room service was a pain as several times i typed in all the info and was then told i had to call room service instead. The room service was really good though!
Beautiful hotel though in an almost countryside setting. Very easy place to unwind and relax.
The restaurants and bar were really nice too.
We stayed in a two bedroomed suite which was lovely but there was not enough wardrobe space for a family. In fact a couple staying here would have difficulty unpacking.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear LBurston,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and consider our location the perfect setting to ‘unwind and relax.’ I am however sorry to hear that you had issues with ordering room service off the Ipad, I will provide this feedback to our team as to ensure this is resolved. I am also apologetic that you stayed in a suite which did not have enough closet space and will make note of this to ensure that we allocate a room with more wardrobe on your next visit.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the dining areas, as well as the service you received from our team members, I will make sure to share you kind words as I know it will mean a great deal to them.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

The first thing I had to do, after returning from the Hotel Bel-Air, was write this review; I will follow up with a letter to the hotel Manager!

YES - the hotel is (rather) expensive - but I honestly think the price is worthy of the service and accommodations - people that complain about price, without staying, shouldn't be allowed to review - and if you complain about not being treated, literally, like a King or Pop Princess...re-think your review, please. If price is your complaint...remember the hotel name...Bel-Air!

I guess over the years I have come to expect the best from hotels when they call themselves five star - few actually live up to that rating, especially in the United States. My stay was 100% relaxation - and it was possible to not think about work at all!

Upon arrival at the valet, I was greeted by a full staff of valets; bags out and showing me the way to the hotel reception, as if I've never been (they don't assume, they just lend a hand). After an early morning of flying, a nice, honestly delivered, greeting was pleasant.

Across the historic bridge, past the swans, I was in a Garden of Eden; and it smelled amazing. Check-in was a breeze; thanks to Nicole, "we've been expecting you!"

I was early, so while my room was waiting a clean-up approval, I headed to Wolfgang Puck at Hotel Bel-Air; AMAZING! One of the best Huevos Rancheros I have ever had! Not only did it look amazing, but tasted great and seemed healthier than normal. First class service at this restaurant; real team work...and this was at 11AM, not busy dinner hours where you'd expect this service. The entire staff there was on their game and should be commended!

Finishing up, I received a call that the room was ready - I was greeted at reception by a bellman and he showed me to my room; a very nice Canyon Suite. After a tour of the room, and some basic instructions on how to use the advanced gadgets, I was ready to do nothing over the next few days. A knock on the door...and a lovely arrangement of various oranges from the gardens was delivered - along with a bottle of water, I lounged at the patio spa overlooking the grounds - complete quietness (aside from some construction nearby - this is one of two frustrations, but not enough to give a negative feedback).

The bar staff at The Bar & Lounge was also to be complimented; personable & friendly - they never let you down. I spent a few hours here! The spa is also worthy of a visit - you can lose track of time (which is the point) here. Something about three letter words that make you forget your troubles...SPA...BAR...

The bad...this time...the neighborhood construction...someone has to build those massive mansions - it seemed to start early on Saturday morning. Also, twice my room key did not work - it was free and clear of any demagnetization - I was meeting someone and had to drop off some personal items in my room my card didn't work so I called the reception - I gave up waiting after ten minutes - no big deal - I got another card in the time. Also, I called a few times about a constant noise coming from what must have been the pump to the spa in my patio - all I wanted to know was if it turns off...it woke me several times...until I finally fell asleep. The service here is top notch...I was surprised this was never addressed or at the least, someone tell me it's typical and won't shut off - I think I'd opt not to have the spa and get uninterrupted sleep.

OK - complaints over.

The staff is fantastic; friendly - if you are approaching them in a corridor, they step to the side and greet you - that's classy...I felt like the President!

Very little is wrong with this hotel...and I will be back and HIGHLY recommend it for a spoiled get-away! I received a credit at their sister property, The Beverly Hills Hotel...however, having stayed at both, the service at Hotel Bel-Air surpasses the BHH!

Room Tip: Canyon Suites are great rooms away from it all!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NotAPickyTravler
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear NotAPickyTravler,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from your room, to the restaurant, to the spa, and most of all the service.

It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed your Canyon View Suite. These accommodations are among our most popular and it's great that you were able to experience this unique suite product. The spacious patio, with its fireplace, Jacuzzi and lovely views, is so special. I am, however, sorry to hear that the noise of the tub was disturbing you and that we did not follow up on it. This is not representative of our five star service levels and I will investigate this further. I am also sorry to hear that you were aware of some construction work taking place outside, and apologize again for the issues you encountered with your room key. We will look
into these issues to see how we can best prevent them from happening again.

All of your kind words about your suite, the bar and restaurant, and our spa are great to hear. However, what means the most to me is knowing that you felt so well cared for by our great team of service professionals. Thank you for referencing so many of our team members by name, as I am now able to reach out to them individually and let them know how they made such a positive impact on your stay.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in very soon.

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April, and were bowled over by this charming hotel. The staff were friendly, gracious, and highly accommodating. The decor is understated elegance and very tasteful. Nice touches included automatic subdued lighting in the bathroom, TB above the tub, and probably the nicest bathrobes of any hotel I've stayed in. The pool and grounds are very beautiful.

We were so impressed, that we booked into the Beverly Hills Hotel (it's sister hotel in LA) the following week just to compare. I preferred Hotel Bel Air as it is more modern and has an intimate atmosphere.

I would note this was perfect for a relaxing break, however, if you are looking for a wild weekend in LA this is not the place. One minor criticism is the lack of wardrobe space and the bathroom was quite small (albeit spotless and very well equipped).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Andrew P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your time with us ... from the friendly service, to the elegant décor of the room, to the fluffy bathrobes. We receive a lot of great comments about them! And yes, we are so fortunate to have such an ideal setting and enchanting grounds.

Please know that I will share your kind words with our great team here. In the meantime, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is one of the best places to stay in LA. The atmosphere is fantastic and luxurious the moment you walk in the front door.
The accomodations are lovely, clean, environmentally superb (peaceful surroundings) and the staff is excellent.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ghcomments
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear ghcomments,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to hear that you consider us ‘one of the best places to stay in LA.' We know that are a variety of wonderful hotels to choose from in the LA area, so your kind words really do mean a great deal to us. It's great to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel ... from the atmosphere, to our accommodations, to the service levels you experienced throughout your visit. This is just how it should be! I also thank you for recommending us to your friends and family, as there is no greater complement than this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

First and foremost, I felt a little out of place being that I was pulling up the driveway in an average car as opposed to the Bentleys and Benzes everywhere. I thought I would mistreated based on my lower status. Boy, was I wrong.

I was treated with the utmost respect from the time I checked in, until the time I checked out.

The service of the employees was beyond anything that I ever expected. Upon every request, I received a "yes sir" with no hassle or hesitation whatsoever.

My favorite part of the stay was check in when we were immediately told that we were upgraded to a suite as opposed to our Grand Deluxe Room. Me and my fiance were filled with joy.

All in all, this has been the best vacation I have ever taken and that is heavily due to the hospitality of The Hotel Bel
Air. If you enjoy great scenery all around accompanied by great service and rooms, feel free to check in at The Hotel Bel Air. You won't regret it. Thank you for the memorable stay! I'll be back soon.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear errolmccant,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that this was the "best vacation you have ever taken" due to the hospitality you enjoyed during your visit. This is the type of experience we strive to create for each and every guest, and its wonderful to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your visit. And it's great to know that we were able to upgrade you and your fiancé to one of our spacious suites. This always makes for a very pleasant surprise!

Please know that I will share your kind words about our service team with everyone in the hotel. They will be so pleased to know that they had such an impact on your stay. I also thank you for recommending us to your friends and family, as this means a great deal to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Magic Castle Hotel
#2 of 348 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,950 reviews
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!