“Elegant, relaxing, oasis of calm.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bel-Air

Hotel Bel-Air
Ranked #2 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Chester, United Kingdom
“Elegant, relaxing, oasis of calm.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I spent three nights here last month, as the first part of our vacation. Even arriving from London without our luggage, at midnight, we were relaxed within minutes of our arrival.

I was prepared for the luxury and the surroundings, but what struck me most was how the service was so professional, so faultless, but with a relaxed feel.

We stayed in a Deluxe guest room with patio, next to the pool, and it was lovely. Service around the pool was good for drinks and snacks too.

Valet parking were really fast every time. Room service was also excellent.

We enjoyed everthing we ate here, particularly eating outside in such a lovely setting.

I also used the gym, which was well equipped, and not far from the pool.

We can only echo previous reviews in that the gardens make this such a lovely place to stay.

To be so close to the city, but in such a beautiful residential area, really made us glad we chose here too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear MikeandLiz40,

Thank you for your detailed review of Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, from the beautiful settings, to the guestroom, to the pool and the restaurant. But what means the most to me is to read that you received Five Star service from all of our team members, who clearly provided you with a memorable and unique experience during your stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words, which I will happily share with everyone at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Angeles.

Denise Flanders,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Once you enter the Bel Air enclave it is another world and you will not want to leave. We stayed here with our 2 boys at the end of a US 4 week, 6 city trip and it was the perfect finish to a fabulous holiday.
Gardens were stunning, beautiful fresh flowers in the rooms, common areas immaculate renovation, high quality finishes in rooms - every aspect was excellent. We loved the restaurant and proof was - the only meal we had out was to go to the Beverly Hills Hotel Polo Lounge for lunch with transfer by town car - i recommend this too. We ate breakfast and dinner there every day. Food was delicious - menu good variety, emphasis on fresh seasonal produce, extensive wine list. Sophisticated yet relaxed. We loved the pool, beautiful La Prarie spa, small but well equipped gym - even a hairdresser! I went to them all.
The staff in every aspect were responsive, polite, thoughtful and the consistency and high standard of service was notable - we experienced this poolside, the bar, restaurant, front desk, concierge, bell boys, spa, gound staff, housekeeping. It was evident to me here that there is a culture to make sure the guests had the best experience possible. In short, a truly beautiful hotel, recommend for a pampered escape - we will definitely choose Bel Air when we return to LA.

Room Tip: We were in 489 - a reasonable walk from reception area but not an issue to walk through beautiful ga...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anlouise
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Anlouise,

Thank you for taking the time write such a detailed review of your recent visit at Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your family stay so much and considered it ‘the perfect finish to a fabulous holiday.’ It's great to know that you truly appreciated every aspect of Hotel Bel-Air, from the beautiful flowers spread throughout the grounds, to the food at Wolfgang Puck restaurant, to the La Prairie Spa. But what means the most to me is to read that you experienced Five Star service by all our team members; I will ensure to communicate your feedback as I know it will mean a great deal to them.
Thank you for recommending us as well and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Denise Flanders,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I consider this one of my "happiest places on earth"--it's my idea of what heaven must be like--and was eagerly waiting the opportunity to return, after their recent redesign project.

I was disappointed to find that the floral, chintz atmosphere around the terrace dining area had been redone. In fact, many of the common areas were redone. It strikes me as more modern and masculine, now--in fact, my husband fell right into it, saying, "I like it better." Of course, it's been designed to suit him. I'm not generally a "fussy" decor person, but it worked for me the old way, and I'll miss it.

The rooms are still lovely, with comfortable beds, spacious bathrooms, and a great deal of privacy. They've upped their game, making everything (television, temperature, room service, spa treatments, ANYTHING) controllable by the little iPad that they leave in your room....the amenities continue to be excellent quality.

The thing that sets this hotel apart from any other continues to be its landscaping. The beautiful garden alcoves, the fountains, the overall atmosphere of a floral oasis apart from the hassles of regular Los Angeles--it's an experience I really enjoy. We strolled around the grounds; we visited the swans; we breathed in the serene atmosphere. In fact, we spent an entire 36-hour span on property--spent the afternoon by the pool, had friends join us at Wolfgang Puck for dinner. If you're going to stay at the property, you should stay AT the property...

2 Thank mommythek
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear mommythek
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us very much, from the setting, to the pool, to dinner at Wolfgang Puck.

We appreciate hearing your feedback regarding the hotel's recent refurbishment program and new look. Please know that we felt a tremendous responsibility to maintain the hotel's beloved individuality while carefully creating a relevant product and experience that would appeal to the next generation of guests. And as you noted, we did not alter our enchanting gardens and grounds in any way, as they truly are one of the things that makes this hotel such a special haven of relaxation.

Thank you for recommending Hotel Bel-Air to your friends and family - there is no greater compliment than this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Beautiful, quiet grounds. Easy check in, room was very nice, but after 10 minutes in the room, it was clear that our air conditioning wasn't working. Quick call to the Front Desk, 5 minutes later, a very nice maintenance man arrived and confirmed that clearly the AC was not working. We called the Front desk and a very polite and helpful young man named named Nathaniel offered, and then quickly arranged, to have us moved to a beautiful suite. Not only that, he personally came to our room to oversee the move and make certain we were comfortable. He completely turned the trip from one of looming discomfort to one of delight. Just about anyone can offer good service when things go well, but the real measure of hospitality is revealed when things don't go as planned. Nathaniel's handling of our room issue is a great example of this, and that level of service distinguishes a nice hotel from a hotel of distinction; well worth the price.

Other reviews have mentioned the amenities and they are excellent. Same with the bar and restaurant. Ambience is relaxed, but both comfortable and elegant.

We will return to the Hotel Bel-Air again!

Room Tip: Rooms are very quiet throughout the property.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebGio
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear DebGioDebGio,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air.

Please allow me to extend my apologies regarding the issues you encountered with the air conditioning in your first accommodation. This is not reflective of our quality standards and I regret that this occurred. However I am glad to hear that we were able to resolve the issue in a timely manner and that you received a lovely Bel-Air Suite.

I very much appreciate you naming some of our team members who helped making your stay so memorable, Please know that I will make sure to share your lovely feedback with them. I also thank you for your kind words regarding the amenities offered, and I am delighted to read that you were able to enjoy the bar and the restaurant during your stay as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The best hotel in Los Angeles, probably North America, and quite possibly the entire world. A marvel to any luxury traveler with an eye for detail. They didn't miss anything. Sometimes when I'm here, I play a little game with myself where I try to find fault with some aspect of the the hotel and I can't do it. It's on the pricey side (but no more than any other luxury brand) and it's totally worth every penny. If you're looking for tranquility in the big city, world class service in the most luxurious and peaceful setting imaginable, then you've come to the right place.

I'd recommend this place as the perfect venue for an incredible date, to pop the question, to have the wedding at, or to go on your honeymoon at. I think you get my drift- it's one of the most elegant and romantic spots in the world. Everything here is world class.

The food is incredible. Honestly, they do room service so well here, that I often prefer to dine in than go out to some of my favorite restaurant in LA. It's kind of a funny thing, but the Hotel Bel Air may be home to the best Huevos Rancheros in the world (honorable mention for the steak frittes.) They also have an amazing bar area with one of the best bloody mary's I've ever had.

The rooms are really the masterpieces of the structural part of the hotel though. From almost any point in the room you can control the temperature, the lights (there are such convenient settings for them too,) or order any of the services the hotel has to offer. The miss no details, right down to the heated bathroom floors in winter. I'd invite anyone who's reconsidering a remodel of their home to come stay here for a couple of nights to take notes on features you might not have thought of, but will instantly recognize as perfection.

And the real masterpiece is the service. My only warning is that once you've been treated this well, you may not feel like anywhere else really lives up. For an incredibly busy person, this is the place for you. I have them unpack and pack my bags upon arrival and departure (they do about ten times a better job than I could and in a fraction of the time.) The concierge desk here rivals that of any in the world. Just tell them what you're interested in, and they'll supply you with an insiders itinerary for whatever it is you fancy. I saw them handling the medical needs of a guest so well yesterday that I secretly wished that they working in my doctors office when I got back home. They got me into an impossible restaurant within an hour of my asking and I can tell you from experience that doing these kinds of things is the norm out here.

Lastly, I know there's some controversy with the owner of this hotel, but after I thought about boycotting this place it occurred to me that I would most definitely not be doing any real damage to this man on the other side of the world who's worth 20 billion dollars. Instead, I would be hurting the people I've come to value most in this city. I'd imagine the people who are really suffering are the employees of this hotel, who are probably losing their jobs wholesale from this boycott thing. They're genuinely some of the most intelligent, empathetic, knowledgeable, and caring people in this city. So I am still very happy to stay here, because I'm for supporting them. I can understand the other perspective, and it's certainly valid, this is just my two cents.

Room Tip: You're in luck, there are no bad rooms. I literally took a tour (ask for it at the front desk)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rocky Z
Dear Rocky Z,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent visit to Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us - this is just what we love to read! Thank you for recommending us so highly as there is no greater compliment.

I very much appreciate your lovely comments about our enchanting gardens and grounds, I couldn’t agree more that they truly are one of the things that makes this hotel so special and an ideal setting for special occasions.

I am also so pleased that you enjoyed your room service so much. And our Huevos Rancheros are among our most popular dishes - great choice and thank you for considering them the ‘best in the world.’ Our executive chef and his team will be delighted to hear this feedback. Next time, I recommend you also try our granola parfait - it's one of my favorites.

It's great to learn that you love the rooms and the varied amenities offered within. Our goal was to integrate technology that would enhance guest experience, so it is wonderful to know that it did make your stay with us so close to ‘perfection.'

But you must know that I must admit that, despite all your wonderful comments, what means the most is to read that you enjoyed fantastic service throughout your stay. I will certainly share your kind words with our team members, as I know it will mean a great deal to them.

I would also like to thank you as well for your very kind comments and your continuous support. It means more than ever to us during this time and know that I will share your feedback with all of our team members.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This resort hotel is in the hills of Bel Air above Beverly Hills. The newly renovated rooms are very tech oriented, you can control everything from the phones or iPad in the room.

The best part of the hotel is the service, everyone remembers you by name, and the answer is always yes. Probably one of the best hotels we have ever stayed!

Another to recommend is the food at the hotel, it is excellent and you can order anything. Especially the best is to have a relaxing lunch at the pool. They serve it on elevated trays.

One thing to recommend, if you stay here you should rent car to take full advantage of the LA area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio, lots of space. We would recommend the ones in between the reception and...
Dear 781elephant,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the unrivaled location, to the guestrooms, to the restaurant. However, what means the most to me is to read that you received exemplary service for all our team members during your recent visit. And I couldn’t agree more - lunch by the pool is delightful, especially with the endless California sunshine that we are lucky enough to enjoy.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location and very peaceful. We stayed one night as we were doing the VIP tour at Universal the next day and didn't want to hit the LA traffic on the Monday morning. We were staying at the Pelican Hill resort in Newport for 16 nights and wanted to have a brief visit to LA and do the Universal tour. Hotel Bel Air did not disappoint us the service was impeccable from the valet parking to the free local limo service. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and as its in a very peaceful area of LA but close to downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Putney69,

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Bel-Air. It's great that you decided to stay with us on your brief visit to LA and avoid the city's infamous traffic! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your experience ... from the great location and peaceful setting, to the house car service provided for our guests. But what means the most to me was to know that you appreciated the impeccable service provided by our very special team members.

Thank you again for your kind words and we very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Garland
#10 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,884 reviews
Central L.A
Magic Castle Hotel
Magic Castle Hotel
#1 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,978 reviews

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!