“Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I checked in after a night at the BHH. As I said in that review, BHH is about as perfect as it can get. HBA is more "about as perfect as it can get" I love how the property is tucked away and most people couldn't tell you how to get there. I love how we felt like the only people there, gosh I love how the pool is ten feet deep. We were in room 269, it was stunning, I'm not a big tech person but I have to admit it was quite cool. Our little wading pool was nice to have and we were impressed (as we were so informed) how it could be cooled or hot tub temperature. Dinner at WP, again it was great. The next morning we had breakfast on our veranda overlooking the canyon and then sadly had to leave.

If you are in LA this is a must. In my BHH review I mentioned The Carlyle in New York as I have a long history of staying there and drinking there while I lived in NY. When there I feel as though it is another home, I can see this joining the list and cannot wait to come back, I will use any excuse to travel to LA to do so from this point forward. Thank you to the staff who went heads and tails above professionalism and civility. Amazing, I've stayed in a lot of hotels that are considered top tier and this place is the best.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John K
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear John K,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. 269 is one of my favorite rooms, and the retractable walls and large outdoor terrace is second to none. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us (and also at our sister hotel!). We are so fortunate to offer two distinct properties, each with their own unique features, just ten minutes away from one another. And as a guest of either hotel, you have signing privileges at the "other" hotel you are not staying at. So just take the complimentary house car to and from each hotel and be sure to take advantage of this next time you stay with us in LA so you can get a little bit of both experiences.

We very much appreciate you recommending Hotel Bel-Air ... there is no greater compliment. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team here. We look forward to welcoming you back (any excuse is a good excuse!).

Denise Flanders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

From whoa to go, this hotel is a national treasure. Reception and concierge were so delightful it is hard to think of anywhere that could accomplish so much genuine good feeling in such a short space of time. Truly warm, professional and kind service. Yes, you would expect it, but the reality is so much better.

The hotel itself is grand but understated and iconic. The rooms are so beautiful and well appointed. The shower perfect, the linen and bedding so magical that I don't remember sleeping - but woke up and didn't want to leave...

The restaurant was gorgeous. Again, understated food, good produce, a great wine selection, friendly and attentive service, and the most perfect fried chicken and strawberry shortcake in the world!

Nothing was a bother, everything was tranquil and well ordered. I am coming back because I didn't want to leave. A true credit to the city that understands quality lodgings and how to make people feel special! Thank you so much Hotel Bel-Air!

Room Tip: We were upgraded on arrival - but any of the suites with a patio would be perfect.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Madcooki
Dear Madcooki,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed everything about your stay … from the service, to the rooms to the restaurant. We too find our beloved hotel to offer one of the most unique settings in Los Angeles and it's wonderful to know that you were made to feel so well cared for.

We are thrilled you will be back and hope it will be soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great property with lots of history. It's not so easy to get to, but that's actually the point. If you want a quiet place that's out of the hustle and bustle of the noisy Los Angeles streets, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Celebrity_Concierge
Dear Celebrity_Concierge,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our unique location. We are situated right in the middle of Los Angeles but we are located on 12 acres of lush gardens. Truly "so close yet so far" from it all. It really sets the stage of the ultimate urban retreat.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

People always ask me what it is about the Bel Air that sets it apart from all other Los Angeles properties. Why do I love it so much. It is honestly in a class all it's own..... period! Not just in LA, but in the entire US!

The Hotel Bel Air is lumped into a category in LA with the top hotel properties such as the Peninsula, The Four Seasons and The Montage, but in reality, once you have stayed there, you realize that it is so different it belongs in a category titled "Extraordinary 5 Star Properties". From the moment your feet hit the ground at the valet, you smell the jasmine and the bouganvilla and are greeted by the most engaging group of gentleman who always make you feel like you've come home, even if you've never been there in your life. Then you walk across the idyllic bridge, over the legendary Swan Pond and head into the gorgeous and cozy lobby that feels like you stepped into someone's living room (but a living room from Architectural Digest) not just a lobby. It isn't overwhelming or stuffy like some of the previously mentioned properties, but instead has a lovely fireplace, comfy seating and a front desk that doesn't just say, "Welcome to our hotel", it says, "Welcome to our home".

Follow all that by a truly engaging and charming group of front desk ladies and gentlemen who will check you in and make sure you have any special requests recognized, all in an expedient manner. As your stay continues, that same front desk staff will always greet you by name as you walk through the lobby, ask how your stay is going and ask if there is anything they can do for you. I have walked through many 5 star hotel lobbies only to be greeted by a possible head nod or good afternoon. Those will not be the only words you hear at the Bel Air. They always engage you to see if they are meeting your needs and to see what else they can do to make your stay memorable.

Once in your room, you will receive your luggage promptly by a friendly bellman who will show you how to operate their top notch electronics in the rooms and again, ask if there is absolutely anything he can do to help you before departing. Upon checkout you will not wait 15-20 minutes for them to arrive. They are prompt and whisk you to the front valet so that your taxi or car are not left waiting ordinate amounts of time as at other hotels.

The Rooms.....well I have my favorites which are the Loft Rooms and the Canyon Suites but every room at the hotel is unique and lovely. The renovation gave the hotel a totally new look, one that I applaud! You will want to return simply to try a different room. There are no other hotels in LA with this sort of room diversity. When you are there you might want to inquire about all the different styles so that when you return (and you surely will....) you can try something different from your last stay. It is much easier to choose a room if you have a point of reference so don't be afraid to ask the Concierge or front desk staff to explain the different options to you.

The grounds are phenomenal and beyond words. If you want a property that is literally a botanical garden, stay here. I marvel at the beautiful flowers and the meticulous care they receive on each and every trip. It never gets old and I never take it for granted. I truly love their grounds. The smell is intoxicating and I recently bought the Bel Air candle which allowed me to bring a bit of that smell home with me. It's that good! As you walk back and forth to your room, you will almost always encounter a staff member and I have never had an experience where they didn't smile and ask how my day was going. Everyone at the Bel Air is welcoming.

Once your stay begins you will certainly need direction as to where to go in LA for the best food, the best shopping and the best sightseeing. Look no further than the Bel Air Concierge; Dawn, Nathaniel, Julian, Barbara, they are all fabulous and know absolutely "everything LA!!" My last visit I needed a frame shop that could frame in 2 days and low and behold, Dawn found it for me! Nathaniel can make any special occasion a truly memorable one so if your trip is a birthday, anniversary, etc., speak to him for some lovely ideas. These ladies and gentlemen are so kind and so helpful that you will confidently rely on them for not only the obvious Concierge services, but the little things that inevitably happen while traveling. They will handle it or find it for you, trust me.

The pool is so serene and relaxing at this property and you will never find yourself wrenching your neck to see where the pool staff are hiding. They are always there to offer a cold glass of water, lunch, or just about anything else you might need or want. And the ambiance is out of this world with again, the lovely foliage and flowers that surround the pool area.

Here's a category that you don't hear mentioned in many reviews.....Room Service!! Maria and Sandra will always greet you by name with a friendly "how may I help you?" Those aren't just words to them, they truly mean what they say. They remember the little nuances in your orders and may ask if you need them again or they might suggest a wonderful dessert that you hadn't thought about. But it doesn't stop with the ladies on the phone. Lucas, Joseph and the others that arrive with your food, are just amazing. They go above and beyond to make sure things are set up so lovely whether on your patio, in your room or on your balcony. Whatever you need, they deliver, literally! The food is fantastic, it arrives hot or cold, whichever is the case, and they are never too busy to take the time, to again, ask about your day.

The spa is beautiful and the front desk staff will address any and all special requests you might have. Patty is the girl to see for a mani/pedi. Should you have any time restraints the staff is most accommodating and will do their best to assist with last minute treatments you might need to book.

Hopefully you will treat yourself to a stay at the Hotel Bel Air and you will enjoy the wonderful experience that I have always received from this extraordinary property!

Room Tip: Loft and Canyon Suites are amazing! There are many areas to the property and there can be a walk in...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JBHAtlanta
Dear JBHAtlanta,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. Your review put a huge smile on my face! I loved hearing about how you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel ... from our grounds, to the lobby to our unique accommodations. It's also great to know that you were able to relax at our pool and visit the La Prairie Spa.

But what really means the most to me is knowing you felt so well cared for. Thank you for mentioning so many of our great team members by name. Please know that I will share this with them, as it will mean a great deal to them to know that they had such an impact on your visit. Our dedicated team members truly are the heart and soul of the hotel.

I would also like to thank you for being such a loyal guest and frequenting the hotel on so many occasions. We realize there are many lovely hotel options in the LA area and we appreciate your continued support. It is always a pleasure welcoming you back to the hotel, and we hope to have the opportunity to do so again in the near future.

Lastly, I want to thank you for recommending Hotel Bel-Air as there is no greater compliment than knowing that you will encourage your friends, family and associates to visit us. We are very much looking forward to your next stay with us.

Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We've been going to the Bel Air hotel many times now, even twice this summer! It was our hub for our vacation this year in Japan.

The Bel Air service is great, the place is enchanted, magical at night with luxuriant trees and flowers, makes you forget completely that you are in LA. Minutes away by cab to the buzz of Beverly Hills, this is your peaceful harbour.

For couples, it's a highly romantic place. For families, it's a great relaxing setting. The property while right in the city is laid out as a beach resort in the Maldives or Bora Bora. Indeed every guest has its own private villa, and you can even get two connecting ones via an interior staircase that makes almost a small house in this great location.

Wolfgang Puck is your chef. The whole staff is welcoming. Going for breakfast, lunch or dinner, you can enjoy the secluded feel of their "alcoves" at the back. The food is great. The ambiance and setting simply make you relax and enjoy.

It is very unique. We are very 4S and yes, there are two 4S in LA. We tried both. And we keep returning to Bel Air. Nothing like it in LA.

Room Tip: Canyon Suites are the best rooms. Ask for 2nd or 3rd level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Denise F, General Manager at Hotel Bel-Air, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear BonVoyageFamily,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It is always a pleasure welcoming you back to our garden oasis! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay…from the setting, to the service, to the food.

We look forward to your return and hope it will be soon!

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've never experienced a hotel quite like the Hotel Bel-Air. A friend and I flew to LA for Comic Con, before heading down to San Diego I scheduled an extra night in LA - I had been wanting to visit the Hotel Bel-Air since my first visit to LA many years ago. You can tell this hotel is in a league of it's own as you arrive at the valet and make your way over the bridge, everything is so serene and relaxing.
I booked a Canyon Room (the idea of having my own private jacuzzi on the patio was too good to be true!). When I checked in I found we had been kindly upgraded to a Premier Canyon Room (room 268) free of charge. We were shown to our room and it was better than I could have imagined; The living room is spacious with a stunning floor-to-ceiling glass sliding door leading to the patio with a fire place, 2 sitting areas and the spa pool. The bedroom is large with a Bang & Olufsen TV, high wooden ceiling a fantastic king bed, attached to the bedroom is the bathroom with double sinks, shower, large bath with TV and last but not least the most high-tech toilet I have ever encountered, you will have to try it yourself to find out... it's quite the treat!
We relaxed outside on the patio for hours in the spa pool and by the fire place and never heard another soul whilst we were out there - pure bliss.
My only regret is that I didn't have more time to spend in the hotel exploring the grounds and sampling the restaurant/pool.
If I get the chance in future I will definitely be staying at the Hotel Bel-Air again, I cannot recommend it enough. My photos do not do it justice!

Room Tip: Premier Canyon Room 268 guarantees ultimate luxury and tranquility
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michael A,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Bel-Air. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us…especially the Premier Canyon Room! 268 is a special room with a lovely indoor/outdoor experience and great features.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you back in the near future…but next time for a longer stay!

Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was my first time back since the remodel. Have since stayed at the Peninsula, Montage, and Four Seasons BH. Great staff, very friendly yet professional. Upgraded to a Canyon room with outdoor FP and hot tub. Great room. Restaurant and bar still excellent. Only downside is the wine prices in the restaurant. I notice almost no tables with bottles of wine , obviously because of the pricing policy, very expensive, big markup, which is sad because they have a excellent wine list. Interesting, because I also dined at another Puck restaurant (twice in 3 days), Spago, and found excellent wines at much lower price points than his restaurant at the Bel-Air. The bar is still great, probably even better after the remodel---tortilla soup is wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear DCYOUNG,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Bel-Air. It was a pleasure welcoming you back to the hotel and introducing you to the new product. It's wonderful that you were able to experience our Canyon view rooms - they are among our most popular accommodations. It's great to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us … from the service, to the room, to the famous tortilla soup! I also appreciate you providing candid feedback about our wine list. Please know that I will be sure to discuss this with our Food & Beverage team to see how we can best meet our guests needs.

Denise Flanders

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Garland
#10 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,884 reviews
Central L.A
Magic Castle Hotel
Magic Castle Hotel
#1 of 349 in Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,978 reviews

Been to Hotel Bel-Air? Share your experiences!