“Overcharged, waiting for a refund”

The L.A. Hotel Downtown
Ranked #33 of 352 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel overcharged me and I am waiting for a refund. Will do a proper review once the refund is processed. I booked for this hotel for 3 nights and paid in full. Two nights was booked for with Travel Pony and one night with Expedia. The accommodation was paid for in full but to my surprise I found an extra night was charged for on my credit card for the day I departed. They probably messed up the reservation due to the two different bookings. Waiting for their response.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Minda B
There are newer reviews for The L.A. Hotel Downtown

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I had a recent overnight stay at this property and was surprised. The hotel is a former Marriott property, in much need of renovations, but great,friendly staff, I was upgraded to a Suite due to my status with Hyatt and it was a awesome room with spectacular views of the city. I look forward toy return in a few day!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have no complaints about the hotel, it was very good for myself and my family. we had stayed here based off reviews and pricing, and was pleased. easy access, excellent front desk and concerige, close to everything.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed there for a business trip where the company paid for my stay so I can't comment on the price or value I the hotel, but I was very happy with the stay. My room wasn't filthy, but there was a Cheerio right under the edge of the bed that wouldn't have been there if it was cleaned correctly. Everything else seemed to be cleaned okay. The bed was nice and there wasn't a lot of noise so I could sleep well, and I live out in the country so sleeping in a downtown area is sometimes difficult. The entrance was very nice, my room had been updated so I would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The LA Hotel is completing a major renovation as part of its transition to Hyatt. Many of the common areas are complete, and the rest are a work in progress. The parts that are complete, especially the lobby and conference rooms, look pretty good. The rest of it is still a bit of a patchwork, some dated and some more up to date. The rooms seem larger than average. Overall, it is a very solid business hotel that is in the process of becoming current. There is really nothing wrong with it. There is just nothing to really set it apart from a typical downtown upper end business hotel other than the staff. The restaurant had a good breakfast buffet that was actually better than I expected. Otherwise, it is just a good corporate hotel.

The staff is very personable, kind and efficient. The valet and doormen are very cordial and welcoming (perhaps some of the genuinely kindest I have come across).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having grown up in Los Angeles, I did not know there was another hotel so close to the Westin Bonaventure. I decided to stay here out of curiosity for a weekend of a race in downtown LA. A banner on the front of the building stated that the hotel was undergoing renovations to become a Hyatt, but I couldn't tell there was any construction going on. The lobby was spacious and beautiful. The room was clean and spacious as well. The bed was comfortable.
There is an option to self park in the building across the street. At night, the parking lot is a little scary because it's so empty, but it ended up being cheaper than valet parking at the hotel. After the fact, valet parking when checking in would have been nicer, because you have to walk out of the parking lot building, cross the street and go up the hotel drive with all your luggage. When you have your key card, there is a path that connects from the parking building to the hotel that is convenient.
There is plenty to eat within walking distance from the hotel and a Metro stop near by too.
I had a better time at this hotel than the Bonaventure. I will remember this hotel for future needs now.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Carolkim1
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed at the LA Hotel downtown LA for a conference and had such a great experience I wanted to share it.
From the bell & Valet staff to the front desk they treated me with respect and such a friendly welcome. The hotel has been completely re-modeled and the lobby and front entrance are so beautiful. From the marble floors to the amazing furniture, the lighting above the registration desk it all works together. But with all that I've been in beautiful hotels before, it's the staff that's amazing. I just can't say enough good things. This was a business trip but I was able to walk outside for a few miles in the afternoon and the surrounding area is interesting with lots of coffee and small restaurants, I wouldn't say it's a family place but if you don't mind walking it's really a beautiful area. We walked to the "Perch" for dinner and view of the city with live music,,,breathtaking view again adults, romantic and a special place.
The room was clean and well appointed, I could have slept in that bed all day!!!

Room Tip: My room was on the PH floor with a south facing view, very nice sight of the downtown area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business