“Almost there, but not quite”

The L.A. Hotel Downtown
Ranked #39 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Fairfax, Virginia
“Almost there, but not quite”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The remodeling work is almost done, except for the restaurant, which seemed dated with worn carpeting. Also, while I was in a renovated, well-appointed room, the TV still had no HD channels. I had called ahead and was told that they had HD channels, not just flat-screen TV's, but that was not the case. I won't be coming back until it is rebranded as a true Hyatt, which would signal that it met the Hyatt standards.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've more or less "lived" at the LA Hotel Downtown Monday through Wednesday nights since the first of the year and on balance keep coming back because they do a good job of meeting my basic needs. The rooms are relatively large, quiet, and well-appointed, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. But, the renovations have been going on forever and there's no sign of when they'll be complete. For example, the rooms have nice flat screen HD TVs, but the channels are a mish-mash of low-def, stretched or squished screen formats that I can't watch. The WiFi service is spotty and slow, which makes it tough to do some kinds of work, not to mention watching streaming video as an alternative to the low-def TV. The new restaurant is still not open, and the outdoor hot tub/jacuzzi is still not open. If these aren't issues for you, then it's probably closer to five stars.

Room Tip: The side away from the freeway is quieter. Corner suites have large living areas, but the bedrooms a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SF
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is an update to a previous stay and it appears all the remodeling work is now done except for the pool area and the club room on the 11th floor. Overall I was pleased with my room, the comforts and amenities provided. No complaints. It was a good price considering the other hotels around the same area such as the Westin next door.

My only grumble is that they still have not gotten their food act together. I had room service and the food was cold to borderline cold. The fries were cold and the grilled cheese sandwich was barely melted. Now mind you the hotel was almost deserted as this was a sunday night. The dining room was empty so it is not like the place was filled and busy.
The next morning since I am a diamond member I went to breakfast for the buffet as it is included in my rate. Again the breakfast meats were cold and the bacon cooked to death. I suspect it was heated up from the night before or cooked long before it was set out. The hash browns were cold as well. Sure it is free but just mediocre food and I really hate cold breakfast food. Careful as they run around offering you OJ making you think it is included when it is not. So your buffet breakfast does not include coffee or the juice and that really jacks up the bill.
I would go back but I would not eat in their restaurant until they are serious about food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here because this was the hotel designed for the wedding guests. We thought that our room with two comfortable double beds, coffee maker, and refrigerator was more than adequate. We had take out breakfast in the Food + Drink restaurant which was just off the lobby. William, our server, simply made our day. Even though he was originally from New York, he had the charm of a true Southern gentleman. I wish there were more like him in the world! Our ham and cheese omelet was superb as was the huevos rancheros. They did have a breakfast buffet which I believe was $21. There is a small shopping mall with Target, a newly opened Zara, H & M, Sprinkles, some other chain stores, and some restaurants on Fig and 7th which is only 4 blocks away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel overcharged me and I am waiting for a refund. Will do a proper review once the refund is processed. I booked for this hotel for 3 nights and paid in full. Two nights was booked for with Travel Pony and one night with Expedia. The accommodation was paid for in full but to my surprise I found an extra night was charged for on my credit card for the day I departed. They probably messed up the reservation due to the two different bookings. Waiting for their response.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Minda B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

I had a recent overnight stay at this property and was surprised. The hotel is a former Marriott property, in much need of renovations, but great,friendly staff, I was upgraded to a Suite due to my status with Hyatt and it was a awesome room with spectacular views of the city. I look forward toy return in a few day!!

• Stayed June 2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have no complaints about the hotel, it was very good for myself and my family. we had stayed here based off reviews and pricing, and was pleased. easy access, excellent front desk and concerige, close to everything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family