“Hyatt Should be Ashamed!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The L.A. Hotel Downtown

The L.A. Hotel Downtown
Ranked #39 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
South Amboy, NJ
“Hyatt Should be Ashamed!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel due to a convention in LA. Hearing the Hyatt name we assumed the hotel would meet the chain's reputation. Well were we sadly mistaken! We arrived early and were pleasantly surprised to find our room ready. And that's where the good points ended. The room was to have been a king, we got 2 double beds. Called the desk and a bellman was sent up with keys to the correct room. Well, weren't we all surprised-another double! This should have given us an idea of what we were in store for during our stay. We were then escorted to a king room. The first thing we noticed was the sour smell. Figuring the room might not have been assigned for a few days as it was one that was handicap accessible, we said nothing-BIG mistake as the smell persisted the entire 5 days we were there. Housekeeping was kind enough to leave us with 2 towels. I found this odd as every other major hotel chain always provides guests with a minimum of 3 towels. We had no shampoo and had to call to ask that it be delivered the first 2 days of our stay. When I called to request an ironing board, I was asked: "Isn't there one in the room?" I was shocked that someone would think I needed 2 ironing boards! The upholstered chair had a hole in the arm, the rug was stained, a piece of baseboard molding was falling off, the access to the air conditioning unit was loose and was filthy, the carpet near the window was coming up, the shower seat had black mold on the seams as did the fixtures on the shower rail, bathroom tile was chipped, and the toilet seat was loose and off to the side. The ice machine on the floor was broken and the pool was dirty, the water cloudy. The Thermostat was set at 65 but the room was stuffy at times. Sunday morning at 2:20 we were awaken to someone trying to get into our room and again on Monday morning at 3:30 to what sounded like mice scratching at the door. The "mice" turned out be a staff member shoving our papers in our door for check out. One would think that a hotel such as this would put these papers in an envelope and hang them on the door handle as most others do. We tried to process our check out on the TV but received a message that read "We are unable to complete this transaction. Please try again in a few minutes." Really the fact that the hotel information page had a message dated "June 22, 2012" should have been a clue about their online system! Upon check out I was asked if we enjoyed our stay. When I responded, "Not Really", I was met with dead silence. I found this curious as there were no questions as to why I answered that way. One would think the staff would want to hear the guests concerns. Or are such responses are commonplace?
On a positive note, the staff in the restaurant were extremely accommodating and pleasant, going out of their way to make one feel welcome.
I was told this hotel was recently taken over by Hyatt. I'm not certain if this is true, but that's still no excuse for the conditions that exist. Words cannot express how truly shocked and disappointed we were that the Hyatt name was attached to this disaster!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ecampb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Anaheim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel overall is very nice. Our room was clean & beds comfy. Love having a frig in our room. The location was only 4-5 blocks away fm shopping & food which is always a better price than hotels. Love the bus that takes you around LA. We didn't eat at the hotel since we were close to other restaurants. The pool was nice & clean & everyone at the pool seemed very nice. Love that they provide pool towels too! The price of the hotel is a bit high but so are some of the other hotels that aren't as clean. The staff was very polite. I have no serious complaints.

• Stayed June 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Few reasons we stayed at this hotel because it was about 1.5 miles from Anime-Expo and it was own by Hyatt. I'll make this review concise:

(+) = beautiful, modern lobby.
- Our room had mini-fridge,
- 2 queen size beds with comfy pillows (if it weren't for Anime-Expo, I'd sleep longer because it was so comfy),
- small safe,
- chair with ottoman,
- modern decor room and bathroom (separate shower & bath tub),
- moderate size closet space with hangers, ergonomic chair with convertible glass desk (ones you see on their website, although we didn't pull it out).
- Our room smells clean throughout, bathroom cleaned thoroughly.
--- AND, thumbs up to all the staff members we met - they were professional and courteous:
- the friendly front desk quickly check us out;
- the house keeping was kind enough to give us plenty of towels;
- Mr. Ed (the bell-hop) was so nice to give us maps and directions;
- the staff from the hotel's restaurant was so sweet to give us real plates & utensils (rather than plastic plates, forks, knives) when we ordered breakfast to go (we ate at our room) --- now, that's what I call excellent service!

(-) = TV channels were so-so (1 - HBO channel, Adult-Swim, several local channels.
- The vending machine next to the ice machine ate my 60 cents - I did not get my bottle water. Machine must have been broken?
- Even though Anime-Expo is on the same street (Figueroa) as this hotel, you simply can not stay on Figueroa to get to Anime-Expo because this hotel sits on a one-way section of Figueroa.
- There's no self-parking, you have to valet ($35/night) with in-out privileges and pay directly to the valet (not the hotel) - there's a public parking across the street for 1/2 the price, but without the in-out privileges.
- Starbucks, Denny's, McDonald's within 2-3 blocks on the same-side of the street as the hotel (McDonald's closed on weekends; Denny's opens @ 9a; Starbucks often over-crowded).

I rated the value "average" because it was a bit pricey on my end since I'm on a budget considering the other expenses - Anime-Expo, dining, etc...

Otherwise, we really love the room we got and appreciated the attentiveness the staff members provided - Thank You!

Room Tip: Our room faces the freeways, but the room was quiet. Upon check-in, front desk staff informed me...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Venttianne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Junior suite was ok. However, was not in separate rooms. There was just only a partition between bedroom and living room. The quality of the bedsofa was poor. The mattress was too thin. You could feel the springs in your back while lying on it.
The bus tours organized from the hotel were well organized. Always punctual, informative and helpful. I would like to highlight Michaela Shipin. She did a great job. She knew the streets well and avoided any traffic jam.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are small. Junior suites have poor quality sofa beds.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kuwait, Al Kuwayt, Kuwait
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is a very good property owned by Hyatt. Staff is courteous. Service is excellent. Room size & it's interior is good. Overall ambience of the hotel is very pleasing. Food quality is good. Swimming pool is good.

Room Tip: This is an excellent hotel to stay for those who prefer to stay in LA Downtown area.
Green Features: Paper glasses are provided in the room for having tea or coffee.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Herts, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed for 6 nights recently and found the bedroom to be comfortable with pretty much everything I needed. Check in and out was smooth and the receptionist helpful. I was attending a conference and it's about a 15 min walk from LA Live. The area was very quiet at the weekend. I wasn't however pleased with some aspects of the service. The shop was overpriced for basic items like bottled water and often shut when I wanted to use it. WiFi was the slowest I've experienced. There is no service by the pool so if you want lunch you order it from the restaurant, then return to collect it 20 minute later. My experience was frustrating to say the least - cold food in a plastic container and beer in a plastic cup. They said no glass around the pool but then gave us Ketchup in a glass bottle. Why not offer a pool service - there were 5 staff members at the front desk just standing around. I was going to put this on the feedback card but couldn't find one. Overall, the bedroom was fine but the hotel lacked anything else to make the stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This used to be a Marriott and now that Hyatt has taken over ,they are renovating as fast as they can. Like all hotels when they change brands this one started by renovating the lobby. Go figure ,the hotel cares about their image ,IE: the public spaces ,while their guests care more about the rooms.

But soon the whole place will be new so it wont matter.It is in the central business district so I don't think anyone would stay here unless they had business downtown.That said,the biggest problem with this hotel is the noise. It is literally ringed by freeways and does not have adequate sound proofing. If they can solve that problem ,it will be lovely.

The restaurant has not been redone and is pretty awful.

Room Tip: beware of the noise from the freeways
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business