“Great location but pretty shabby place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Orbit Hotel and Hostel
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We stayed here because we saw it reviewed on the show "Getaway" and we also saw that it had a good recommendation in The Lonely Planet. I'm surprised it was so highly recommended, we loved the location, but the room we were in was TINY and not nice. There were 8 people packed into a really small room, so it was really hard to move around, and there was no space on the floor of the room or elsewhere to put bags so we kept our bags sitting on our bed most of the time. The dorm room had an ensuite bathroom which was really gross, I don't think it had been cleaned in weeks, and the toilet leaked so the floor was constantly flooded. Other than this the place wasn't too bad - breakfast was good - there were two cereal choices plus toast.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 December 2009

I was greeted at the door and the staff were very friendly and helpful. great atmosphere :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2009

On Melrose! Fab location, loved it! Always something going on, themed nights, day trips, perfect to meet other people, very good for travellers! We had a ball! :) Wireless internet, common room... chill! :D

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Ok, so this is a bit of a strange review. We only stayed one night, arrived at the hostel on a Friday and it was awesome. That night there was a free keg, lots of cool people, good, cheap food and just a really good atmosphere. Unfortunately me and my friends had some money stolen by a guy in our room. But this was our own fault for not keeping all our stuff in the lockers and being too trusting. Can't recommend the hostel more though, would definitely go back, really awesome location as well, you can walk to sunset blvd for a night out! All I can say about the mugging is be careful with your stuff no matter where you stay.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Worst bed I have ever slept in. Had a private room. The fan did not have a cover over it ... very dangerous. Needs work done on the hotel, Seems dirty.
Breakfast is depressing and the internet never works.
On the other hand it is in a very good spot and they have lots of information and deals on stuff to do around LA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelling224
Reviewed 10 October 2009

I had an okay time there, but...
1) the place is very run down (although what is there is kept clean). There are also pretty much no cooking facilities.
2)Security was very very bad, as anyone from the street can walk into the hostel, the back door of our room didn't lock at all so basically anyone had access to everything you couldn't cram into the very small lockers provided.
3)The staff were a mixed bunch, some friendly and helpful and others quite rude.
4) There is only an expensive paid wifi connection, but no computers which is very poor compared to ever other hostel I've been too recently.

Bascially the Orbit is one of three hostels in a chain (along with banana bungalow west hollywood and Hollywood) and one of the staff told us that they had made the decision to close the Orbit down, hence no money or effort is being put into the place to modernise it, or make it less of a shambles. Its a shame, but this place is a hostel with great potential just being left to rot.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I really had a great time at Orbit mainly because i loved the location and the guys working there were really cool. Its on Melrose which is a great place itself, i spent a whole day just in the shops and cafes there, its just like the T.V. show and a very trendy area. I think its better then Hollywood Blvd. which seemed kind of cheap and tacky. Orbit was also walking distance to Beverly Hills shopping mall and the grove which had my favorite Abercrombie & Fitch.

My only complaint is that I would have preferred a girls dorm instead of mixed (the girls dorms they had were already full) the guys in my room were kind of strange... But other than that a really big thanks to Chris at the office for all the nightlife advice, especially taking us out on the Sunset Strip! I still have a hangover! ;)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo