“Good location”

Highland Gardens Hotel
Ranked #215 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Good location, very close to Hollywood. Big rooms with separate kitchen. There is a pool. Breakfast is terrible for us Europeans, but we didn't expect ´t more. Overall good place to stay at when you explore Hollywood and Universal area, very close to Mullholland drive and scenic drives.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 February 2013

The room was very clean and the place was quiet. Except for the night we heard the poltergeist! I can't claim that everyone will be visited but we thought it was a gas! Only the next day did we find out that this was where Janis Joplin died!

This is a piece of Hollywood history. Check it out!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the clerk to point out the room where Janis Joplin died!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to take advantage of our loyalty rate for return guests.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights in April 2012. I usually dismiss extremely poor reviews as most of the time it's somebody who is overly sensitive, however, I wish I never stayed here.

Apart from the lobby, the rest of the hotel is straight from the prehistoric era. The bathroom is a joke, there's nowhere to put your clothing or toiletries, I'm only 5'9" and the shower was tiny for me, if you're 6'+ you will be hating life, shower temp and pressure were dismal.

The rooms furniture was all falling apart and aged, certainly didn't look clean either, featuring blood stains. We had to prop the fridge up to be able to even open it. The beds were wobbly and noisy, comfort was not a highlight.

The internet, don't even bother. We were lucky enough to have a room at the end of the building and we pinched WiFi from the neighbourning hotel.

The hallways had gaping holes in the walls and dust/dirt from contractors doing work. You'd walk down the hallway and leave footprints on the carpet.

Front desk staff were blunt and didn't seem to care much at all.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Period.
Do.Not.Book.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank KOzols

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. The hallway was being renovated during your stay and has been completed. We would have been happy to relocate you to another part of the hotel if we had known of your dissatisfaction. The hotel is constantly being renovated and updated. If you return we would be happy to upgrade you to a newly remodeled room at no extra charge.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

It's a very welcoming and comfortable hotel to stay at while visiting la. It's very convienient and pleasant ... I recommend this place also because it has a pool, large rooms, Internet and its close to hollywood blvd as well as restaurants and stores

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Jillcist
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

Over all, I was very happy with what I got for the price I payed. But that doesn't mean I was impressed with the hotel itself. There are difinitely much better nicer hotels.

My boyfriend and I got a 2 bed with a kitchen because that's all that was available when we tried to book last minute. So it was over our budget, but not too much over. And it was worth it since we were able to save money and cook some of our own meals in the kitchen.

The kitchen actually wasn't too great. It had a handful of mismatching silverwear, two small pots, a few plates, and a few cups. I was dissapointed they didn't have a pan. They also didn't have a dishwasher, or even anything to wash the dishes with! I figured that room service might take care of that, but they didn't. So we had to get our own sponge and dish soap.

The beds weren't very comfortable. My boyfriend had back pain every morning when he woke up.

The rooms were pretty clean, but what we found in the bathroom was disgusting. It was this jumble of.... what looked to be black larva! I'm not really sure what it was, but it was wiggling around and it was gross. There were multiple of them. We just washed it down the drain.

The room had a TV with a lot of channels, so that was nice for when we just wanted to wind down and relax. They had a pool, which was great because it was scorching hot when we went in August. However, the pool was extremely chlorinated. Even worse than a water park!

The location was fabulous. We would walk just a little bit and right there was Hollywood/Highland. They had a Metro Station close by as well, so we could get around very easily.

In a nut shell, our trip was great and the hotel wasn't too much of a problem. If we had more money we could have gotten a nicer hotel, so we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Get this hotel if you're looking for a great location and a cheap price. Don't get it if you have more money to spend and you want something more upscale.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Celeste C
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel for three nights, and i wish we didnt!
The reception area is quite modern and clean, but thats it! Our room was old and not the cleanest ive seen, but it was ok. The room also smelled like propane gas, because of the stove in the kitchen. This was very unconfortable as we had to sleep there. We had the doors open when we were in the room, even at night, but it didnt get any better. The porch door was big, but we had to close it when we went outside because there was no lock on the screen door.

The reseption told me that there were no wifi in the rooms, only in the reception, but i logged on from my room anyways.
The pool was dirty and there were very few seats around.
The breakfast REALLY dissapointed me. Coffee and a danish is NOT breakfast!

But even though this hotel has A LOT to learn and improve, they have a good location not far from the Hollywood Bouleward. They also have a garage underneath the hotel.

I wont recommend to stay here unless its an emergency...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank ER2012
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two days. The pictures on the website are very deceiving. To arrive at the hotel one would think it is a very nice place. Once in the rooms a whole different story. Dated bathrooms, cracks in walls, furniture with cigarette burns, bedding disgusting and lighting in the parking area very unsafe. Traveled from West to East Coast by far worst hotel ever.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family