“Don't expect the same quality in the rooms as the lobby......”

Highland Gardens Hotel
Ranked #220 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stopped in here while trying to find a reasonably priced hotel/motel in the Hollywood area without going into a dive and so when I walked into the lobby to ask about room price/availability, it seemed ideal as the lobby and front area are very swish and modern. You can see it’s been a 60’s hotel but looked like it had been revamped from the outside with sleek smoked glass balconies added to the frontage. The room was $149 with taxes for a twin queen, so price wise pretty good for Hollywood, but the outside and lobby are a bit misleading as the actual hotel rooms are older and a bit of a let down. Our room was very bare and had a battered old fridge in the corner with a microwave balanced atop it. The beds were clean and comfy but the shower very small and old school (I never bothered trying to get a shower as it was pretty off putting). There was a wall socket hanging off (which I avoided using and did notify the desk about when I checked out) and some peeling/rotting woodwork right outside the window. On the upside, the place is in a good location and you can just walk down a side street to Hollywood Blvd and the staff were nice enough. There is a limited complimentary continental breakfast included (bread, cream cheese, toaster, muffins, juice boxes, tea/coffee) so it’s enough to start you off until you get something real to eat somewhere else. One major downside was that the WiFi in the rooms was an extra and chargeable at $10 for 24 hours (but they do have a couple of PCs in the lobby which they said were free to use, but when I tried it was asking for payment to log onto the connection). I got the feeling that this place has been taken over and they are part way through re-doing the place (but just not reached the rooms yet)! I wouldn’t stay again until the rest of the hotel has been upgraded to match the lobby but then it will probably justify an increase in price, so really not too bad if you need somewhere to crash for a night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Selina C
There are newer reviews for Highland Gardens Hotel

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Unfortunately I had stuffed up our reservations and booked the wrong month at another hotel!!

We were in Hollywood and desperate for a room for 2 nights - the staff at the other hotels had sent us here - I wish we hadn't been but there were very few places available and we had already tried other hotels that were booked out.

The lobby is nice and yes it's free car parking and free wi-fi in the lobby only.... BUT the rooms were old and yukky. The bathrooms are getting very very old and a bit mouldy. The rooms were dusty and the carpet didn't look like it had been vacuumed properly, the door to the balcony wouldn't open properly.

Not nice - I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Good location, very close to Hollywood. Big rooms with separate kitchen. There is a pool. Breakfast is terrible for us Europeans, but we didn't expect ´t more. Overall good place to stay at when you explore Hollywood and Universal area, very close to Mullholland drive and scenic drives.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2013

The room was very clean and the place was quiet. Except for the night we heard the poltergeist! I can't claim that everyone will be visited but we thought it was a gas! Only the next day did we find out that this was where Janis Joplin died!

This is a piece of Hollywood history. Check it out!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the clerk to point out the room where Janis Joplin died!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to take advantage of our loyalty rate for return guests.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights in April 2012. I usually dismiss extremely poor reviews as most of the time it's somebody who is overly sensitive, however, I wish I never stayed here.

Apart from the lobby, the rest of the hotel is straight from the prehistoric era. The bathroom is a joke, there's nowhere to put your clothing or toiletries, I'm only 5'9" and the shower was tiny for me, if you're 6'+ you will be hating life, shower temp and pressure were dismal.

The rooms furniture was all falling apart and aged, certainly didn't look clean either, featuring blood stains. We had to prop the fridge up to be able to even open it. The beds were wobbly and noisy, comfort was not a highlight.

The internet, don't even bother. We were lucky enough to have a room at the end of the building and we pinched WiFi from the neighbourning hotel.

The hallways had gaping holes in the walls and dust/dirt from contractors doing work. You'd walk down the hallway and leave footprints on the carpet.

Front desk staff were blunt and didn't seem to care much at all.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Period.
Do.Not.Book.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank KOzols

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. The hallway was being renovated during your stay and has been completed. We would have been happy to relocate you to another part of the hotel if we had known of your dissatisfaction. The hotel is constantly being renovated and updated. If you return we would be happy to upgrade you to a newly remodeled room at no extra charge.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

It's a very welcoming and comfortable hotel to stay at while visiting la. It's very convienient and pleasant ... I recommend this place also because it has a pool, large rooms, Internet and its close to hollywood blvd as well as restaurants and stores

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Jillcist
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

Over all, I was very happy with what I got for the price I payed. But that doesn't mean I was impressed with the hotel itself. There are difinitely much better nicer hotels.

My boyfriend and I got a 2 bed with a kitchen because that's all that was available when we tried to book last minute. So it was over our budget, but not too much over. And it was worth it since we were able to save money and cook some of our own meals in the kitchen.

The kitchen actually wasn't too great. It had a handful of mismatching silverwear, two small pots, a few plates, and a few cups. I was dissapointed they didn't have a pan. They also didn't have a dishwasher, or even anything to wash the dishes with! I figured that room service might take care of that, but they didn't. So we had to get our own sponge and dish soap.

The beds weren't very comfortable. My boyfriend had back pain every morning when he woke up.

The rooms were pretty clean, but what we found in the bathroom was disgusting. It was this jumble of.... what looked to be black larva! I'm not really sure what it was, but it was wiggling around and it was gross. There were multiple of them. We just washed it down the drain.

The room had a TV with a lot of channels, so that was nice for when we just wanted to wind down and relax. They had a pool, which was great because it was scorching hot when we went in August. However, the pool was extremely chlorinated. Even worse than a water park!

The location was fabulous. We would walk just a little bit and right there was Hollywood/Highland. They had a Metro Station close by as well, so we could get around very easily.

In a nut shell, our trip was great and the hotel wasn't too much of a problem. If we had more money we could have gotten a nicer hotel, so we knew what we were getting ourselves into. Get this hotel if you're looking for a great location and a cheap price. Don't get it if you have more money to spend and you want something more upscale.

• Stayed: August 2012