“funny but quite dirty”

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Reviewed 28 December 2012

well probably it's not possible to find anything so cheap nearby. But the receptionists made an error in our booking and while we were supposed to have a 3-people room for our group, we were assigned to a big room with several guys: not so nice because I had my big camera and some expensive equipment. The guys were used to come in the room veeeery late in the night (early morning) so that was quite annoying. The hostel is quite dirty too. Probably good if you want a hippy atmosphere and you don't mind of frills.

Room Tip: just be sure they really booked a room for you! in our case they made a mistake.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 November 2012

Perfect location!
Arrived at close to midnight and reception were still open to greet us and sort out our room.
The room was massive, and we had our own computer with free internet which was heaven!
It is a bit outdated but great value for money and the location was awesome. Would definitley stay here again I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peanutbuta
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This hostel is ideally located. The facilities are very good. Clean bathroom and sufficent space for a backpacker. I really loved the paintings on the walls in the bedrooms. Good size kitchen. On our trip we didn't interact much with the other guests, luck of the draw I guess; however we made friends with some of the staff. I will for sure stay here again if I visit Venice beach again,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Loved the time we spent here. Probably the best location in Venice as it joins onto the Venice sign and is just 1 min walk from the beach. The hostel provides free coffee and waffles in the morning and I met some really interesting people whilst staying here, all of which were very friendly! We even went to san fran with one of the guys we met!
The only issue you could have was that smoking is permitted in the common room so it could get rather smokey, but to me this just added to the Venice Beach atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Was concerned with previous reviews. However enjoyed an excellent stay. Staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. Room was basic but clean and spacious - definatley recommend private room ! Location was great just off Venice beach, restaurants and off licence near by. Not a massive amount of Night life around in the way of bars and clubs but a good opportunity for a cheap night in with a few beers meeting new people

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 18 September 2012

DONT EVERRRRR STAY HERE!!! If I could, I wish I could sit out there everyday just to let everyone know HOW DISGUSTING and VILE this place is. BUGS all over the bed, room and bathroom. Drugged out bums having KEYES TO ROOMS...I know because they got into my room in the middle of the night. When I tried to get a refund, the owner WOULD NOT meet with me. Finally, after me going back day after day I finally caught him. His answer was that he will NEVER give a refund.I called the cops and of course they did NOTHING.

PLEASE JUST SLEEP IN YOUR CAR! YOU'RE SAFER AND CLEANER.

Room Tip: Sad to say but too many travelers overlooked my girlfriend's review from 2007 ("Desk Agents...
Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RastaSurfer
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Firstly this is a terrible service, that claims to offer so much! We arrived at first and they had lost our booking and they admitted that even if you book on hostelworld it often gets lost and there was nothing they could do!
They finally found our booking, but admitted that we could not check in till 3pm YOU DO NOT PAY 45 DOLLARS to receive such service. Finally I was put it into a 'private' room which represented more a prison cell which was damp and has pieces of brick falling on my bed. Free dinner was also offered what i received was a bowl of stale rice. This is an awful hostel, and we moved to the other Venice beach hostel on yale avenue which is brilliant. Do not stay here, the staff are clumsy and cocky1

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Hollywood
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
#12 of 101 in Los Angeles

Been to Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!