“LOADS OF FUN!!!!”

Samesun Venice Beach
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I just spent a week at the cotel and all I can say is what a great time. The beach, the atmosphere and the people were incredible.
The staff were very helpfull, letting me know places to go and see. Kerry the manager is so nice and funny as all can be. She goes the extra step to make sure her guests enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank joaqbarros

Reviewed 14 January 2012

Basically if you can put up with the poor quality service and this is the cheapest place then I guess go, but otherwise choose more wisely.

1. The manager is very difficult to deal with and is really quite mean. She threatened to kick me out with no where to sleep because I asked for the price advertised on the website that she previously agreed was the price over the phone. I then had to plead with her to let me stay so I was not on the streets.

2. It's extremely cold, and the other lady who works there said "too bad, I'm not turning on the heating because some rooms will get too hot" I suggested she just buy 20 $10 wall heaters for each room, which would solve everything, and she told me to go out and get one if I didn't want to freeze because they were not going to buy heaters or turn on the heating,

3. Between the entire hostel there are just four combined shower and toilet rooms, you can guess the gridlock there.

4. As I said the price went up from $60 which was agreed to when I made the reservation, to $100 when I walked in the door, and because it was late at night, the fact I had booked in advance at a totally different price that was still advertised on their website did not matter.

I would advise you go elsewhere

Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SydneyTheQ
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at the Cotel hostel last night and felt a bit used soon after our arrival. I've traveled many times around America and Europe, staying in hostels, and consider myself a pretty fair judge of them. When I reserved the private room online I was under the impression that we would have a private toilet as well (turns out only the community was ours to use) and that the price would be forty a person. The staff member didn't even consider checking my confirmation info when she charged me fifty a person and when I asked why there was a difference she was short in response. The last complaint is that its not stated clearly that every guest, even american citizens, are required to have a passport to check in. My boyfriend and both considered only taking a license on this trip and would have been on the street last night if we had. Mind you, we are both American citizens and don't need a passport to travel domestically.

I would like to say there are pros for staying at this hostel, the condition was good for a hostel. The bathrooms were very well kept and the staff was friendly. The location was prime and there was a t.v. with cable in our room...unheard of in most hostels. This review is more of a 'be prepared' message than a rant. I wouldn't want other travelers to be ill advised

Room Tip: A private may not save you verses a hotel near by, make sure you search a bit first!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2012

After travelling around the West Coast for 4 weeks, this was undoubtedly our favourite place. The hostel is located right on Venice Beach & perfectly located for local bars, restaurants etc. It is a bit of a mission to get to from downtown LA, but it's totally worth the effort! We stayed in a private room (inc. bed lines/towels) with a shared bathroom & found this to be more than adequate. It was quiet, fairly spacious & had everything you might need. Including an American hairdryer, which let's face, is pretty important! The rooms/bathrooms are cleaned daily & we never had to wait to use the shower the entire time we were there.

The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble & all of them are so friendly & happy to take you out each night to show you the sights & sounds of Venice Beach. Equally, the lounge in the Cotel has a great atmosphere. The staff & people we met, made the stay for us, we had an awesome time hanging out with them & extended our stay from 4 days to 8 days because we just didn't want to leave.

I literally cannot think of one reason why you wouldn't stay here....!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Avoid! Unfortunately this normally adequate hostel has had a severe infestation of bed bugs. Bed bugs are extremely hard to get rid of, often taking multiple attempts by extermination teams to deal with. I pretty much have to boil my clothes and bag now.

To add insult to injury, the managent refused to issue a refund on my remaining 2 nights booked at the hostel after I checked out due to being covered in bites. Not impressed!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank spacerabbits
Reviewed 8 January 2012

No problem! Exactly what you want out of a hostel! Great location

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank mars2sports
Reviewed 8 January 2012

First off, I have read the majority of complaints about the VBC on this site and I'm kinda perplexed as to how people can be so petty.. It's a hostel, not the Mandalay Bay! AND guests that stay at a hostel should bare no reflection on the place itself.. C'mon sonnnnnn! Anyway, my review:

Kerry, Abby, Jacob, Brennan, AJ and all the staff are as good as they come in a hostel! They're happy to speak, laugh and party with you and for the most part become more like friends than staff members if you stay there long enough.
I was only due to stay for a few days and ended up staying for around 3 weeks!

As for the hostel itself.. The rooms are cleaned every day.. Two bathrooms per floor, each with hot showers plus the option to pay for an ensuite room which really isn't much more expensive. Prime location if you can get on board with the loveable crazies of Venice beach! It really is the best hostel I've visited! Go there!

Room Tip: If your staying in dorms choose an en-suite room.. It's usually only an extra $4-6 and gives you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
#12 of 109 in Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Been to Samesun Venice Beach? Share your experiences!