“It is what it is”

Samesun Venice Beach
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“It is what it is”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Lets face it, you aren't staying at The W or Chateau Marmont so I dont understand all these reviews bashing the place.

It is a HOSTEL, fairly cheap, full of young people. It may sometimes get a little noisy but I can honestly say it never kept me awake. It is in pretty much the best location in the whole of Venice Beach. A Restaurant/Bar right downstairs, friendly enough staff, overly friendly manager who is always making sure everyone is having a good time.

I have stayed here three times since 2009. Usually about 2-3 weeks each time over the period of about 5 weeks whilst im in USA. The closest thing I have ever had to a problem was one night a group of friends and myself checked in and went to sleep. We woke up the next morning to the most intense heat I have ever felt in my life. Went to the reception desk and told them and they checked it out. Turns out the heater was broken and blowing hot air into our room. 20 minutes later we are in a new room with a beach view. Problem solved, no drama.

I would reccomend this place to anyone who has realistic expectations of $25 a night accommodation. I honestly love the place and am excited for the next time I come back to Venice

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank drdrac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Can't beat the location. Right on Venice Beach, and on Winward Ave, which has plenty of bars and nightlife. The staff was helpful in recommending a tour, and seemed to be on top of security. There is a camera at the door, and you need to be buzzed in to enter. The rooms are good. it's a hostel, so don't expect a big screen TV, or any TV or phone at all. There is a nice TV in the lounge. The Lounge and kitchen are a bit small, but this won't be an issue if you don't plan to do a lot of cooking. I've stayed here 3 times over the last ten years or so, and had a good, predictable experience each time, with friendly staff, and interesting people from all over the world. Good for the solo traveler.
One note: the t-shirt shops on the beach can play pretty loud music starting at about 9:00 AM. Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper, and want to sleep late.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Do not bother making a reservation with this hostel. On the day I was supposed to be staying here, the manager emailed me informing me my reservation had been cancelled. I rang them to double check and they said the same thing, I no longer had a reservation and my room had been given away. I accepted it and then troubled myself to find different accommodation for that night. A few days later, they charged my card with the night's accommodation and when I alerted them to this, refused to refund it. Despite their cancellation, they told me it was my fault because I had not shown up, even though I had evidence in an email saying they had cancelled it AND they had said over the phone they had no bed for me. In short, unless you want to be forced to pay for somewhere you didn't even stay, I wouldn't run the risk of this hostel. Judging from the quality of their management, the hostel itself is presumably atrocious!

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elise708
kerrykatey, Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Hello, we regret for the miscommunication during your booking process. Our cancellation policy and procedure is clearly outlined on our website and in the confirmations, and since your cancellation didn’t go through the proper channels and you did not arrive to check in, we followed our policy for charging you for the lost sale. We always take care to be clear and communicative with our guests, and the Cotel regrets the misunderstanding that occurred in your exchange with us. Safe travels.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in February 2012. We arrived at about 8am and were told we could check in which was great. We were also given a free upgrade to a room with a view. The room was basic but ok, the bed however was very sqeaky and there was a constant dripping noise in the room. The staff were all friendly and we had a a great night around a few local bars with Joe. For the price we would stay again as the area is pretty cool.

Room Tip: 307 has a very sqeaky bed!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
kerrykatey, Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thanks for the review, and the heads up on the squeaky bed! We'll get that sorted out. Safe travels!
L
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Most of the staff are quite unpleasant. The rooms are dirty. It's overpriced. The beds are uncomfortable. It's usually noisy.

In other words, avoid the place. It's depressing.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank B H
Thanks for the feedback, I'm sorry to hear your stay didn't meet expectations. This month we are starting a large-scale renovation project to upgrade the whole building, so all the facilities and amenities will be fresh and improved. Safe travels!
London
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband & I stayed here for 3 nights while in LA in May 2010. The price was pretty good for the location.

We had a double private room with an ensuite, the room was always clean, but had a lingering smell of smoke from the hallway (even though the place is supposed to be non smoking, people still smoke everywhere).

The common room was disgusting & dingy, the outside area wasn't the best, a lot of homeless people sleeping right outside.

Parking was free in the surrounding streets...if you come to LA you definitely need a car, specially staying at Venice Beach, as it is so far away from everything.

There was a great little bar/cafe on the corner with free wifi with purchase, they sold really cheap yummy panini's.

Would prob not stay here again.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Princess_Dani
Thanks for the feedback! We're in the process of upgrading our whole building with extensive renovations and improvements. Any issues you had with your stay with us will be addressed in this process. Our cleaning and reception staff are always diligent in their work to improve our guests' experience. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in California!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6days as i was traveling. this is my first time travelling and i felt right at home from the second i got to the reception desk. The staff were very friendly and accommadating. I stayed in a 4bed room and it was always kept clean and was of a good size. and the location was right nxt to the beach which was a big plus! One of the best points of the stay here was one of the staff members named Abby she was so friendly and helpfull at reception and when she done the bar at night she created a great atmosphere for everyone and when she took everyone from the hotel out she made sure everyone had a great time!! If i was to return to LA i would definetly stay here again!! and i would like to thank all the staff for being so nice, Especially Abby.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey
Venice Breeze Suites
Venice Breeze Suites
#3 of 89 in Los Angeles

Been to Samesun Venice Beach? Share your experiences!