“Good location, but don't bother with the private rooms.”

USA Hostels Hollywood
Reviewed 18 January 2012

In a nutshell - for the price (or even for a couple of dollars more), you'd be better off staying in a budget hotel, or better yet, skipping LA altogether!

In detail... if you want to stay in a dorm this is probably a good place for you - though I did not see what the quality of the dorms were like so can't comment there. The private room that my friend and I shared was approximately $100 per night, which I thought was very overpriced for what we got. The room was tiny, with the shower in the middle of the room. If staying with friends, this make it a little awkward. The bunk beds were cheap and creaked with every movement, and we needed to use earplugs to avoid noise from the street and the neighbouring rooms. For the same price you could probably get a room in a Motel 6 or something, which at least would have the shower in a separate room.

Wi-fi access in the room was intermittent at best, and only seemed to work in the common areas. Service seemed to depend on who was working, but I did appreciate the free printer in the lobby - very useful for printing maps.

Location is good - walking distance to the main Hollywood sights and some nice restaurants, from famous places like Mel's Drive-In, to places like the nice family-run Mexican place that the hostel recommended in their brochure - unfortunately the name escapes me. Though if you really want to see LA, you need a car. Everything is very spread out and public transport is limited. To get to Disneyland, for example, by public transport is painful - it took hours. The hostel arranged tours to famous sites like the Hollywood Sign but I wasn't really interested. If you have a car, you can park for free on the street between certain times. There is certainly no shortage of parking spots around, and even paid spots are cheap (since everyone in LA has to have at least one car). Driving in LA was not scary at all, even on the huge multi-lane highways.

If you've never been to LA, I would personally advise against it - go to San Francisco instead, at least it has some character! Hollywood feels very seedy and is not nearly as glamorous as the movies make it out to be (though, Pretty Woman did depict it pretty well - full of hookers). The city itself feels very artificial and concrete - like a giant, sprawling suburb. Though if you do decide to stay here, make sure you visit Ameoba Music nearby, and In 'n' Out burger, which is a West Coast institution. Also, drive up to Mulholland Drive for a great view.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the private rooms - stay in a budget hotel instead.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank hellofish

Reviewed 7 January 2012

I travelled here early Dec with a friend of mine. We stayed in an 8 bed mixed room. You really stay here for the location. It's situated on a street right between Hollywood blvd and Sunset. Only about a 5 minute walk to the Chinese Theatre. Quite noisy at night but when you're in your rooms you hardly can hear everyone outside. You have like a little light and socket by your bed which is really convenient for when everyone is asleep.

Would really reccomend it.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Frankee M
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed at this hostel in September and had a really bad experience. As part of a world trip myself and my husband have stayed in plenty of hostels but this was by far the worst. We arrived early and left our bags with reception as our room wasn't ready which was fine, we took part in a walking tour of Beverly Hills with Adam,which I would def recommend. He is great fun and full of Information. Anyway got back to hostel in the afternoon and checked in to our room. At once we noticed a strange smell, thinking the room just needed to be aired we put on the fan and left for the afternoon. Getting back there later in the evening the smell was still there. We notified a member of staff who suggested masking the smell with air freshener. No apology or offer to switch rooms. That night we had the worst nights sleep. Located across from the nightclub the hostel does experience noise from locals leaving the club however it was the noise inside that was worse. Until 5am there was constant loud noise from other guests running up and down corridors and banging randomly on bedroom doors. We looked out at once stage and found drunken staff members socialising with guests and making no attempt to control the noise. What's the point in having notices around the hostel asking guests to observe "quiet time" from 11pm if the staff do not enforce it?
Management did not seem interested when we brought this issue to their attention. They also made no apology for the continuing smell in our bedroom and told us it was the first time anyone had complained about it. The female manager offered us a $20 refund (after paying $240for two nights!) and asked the reception staff to refund us on check out. Surprise surprise on checkout the staff had no knowledge of this agreement and we spent 15 minutes trying to convince them it was agreed.
Two good things about the hostel are location and they do offer great pasta nights at a reasonable price
In short, if you would like good customer service and a decent nights sleep look elsewhere. This hostel is seriously overpriced and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
USAH, General Manager at USA Hostels Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

We apologize for the stay you had back in September. Unfortuantely we had a hard time pinpointing the cause of the smell you experienced while you were there, but we did find it and repair the problem. If we had had additonal private rooms available we would have relocated you. As for noise in the hallways and banging on doors, that will certainly be investigated even though it's 4 months since the incident. We are are hostel known for late-night activities but that does not mean your night's sleep should be compromised. Thank you for the feedback. We take customer satisfaction seriously and all your concerns will be addressed.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

I was travelling on my own for the first time, and this was my first stop of a 4 week trip in the US. I stayed in a 6-bed female dorm and found it very clean, and not too noisy. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and its right on Hollywood Boulevard and near all the sights. Would highly recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind comments about our hostel. We do try hard to provide good customer service and it's great to hear when a guest has a good stay. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to our staff.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. It's close to Hollywood Blvd and all your sightseeing - Walk of Fame, Kodak, Nokia and Chinese Theatres - and also to the metro station. I stayed in an 8-bed dorm for the first 2 nights and moved to a 6-bed dorm for my last night. Both rooms (and their bathrooms) were amazingly clean and comfortable. In my experience it wasn't loud in the hallway or anything like that. Staff were very helpful, knew a lot about Hollywood and always had a smile on their faces. I also felt really safe there, as you have to show your room key every time you enter the building + they have huge lookers in the room. I would always stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Carolynroundtheworld

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us - thank you for the great feedback. We hope the 'privacy pods' we've installed in the dorms helped make your stay even more comfortable. Come back and see us next year...we're planning a new series of upgrades to our kitchen and patio!

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here for 1 night and I was really impressed with the hostel. Stayed in a 6 bed female dorm. I normally don't like staying in a hostel coz the bathrooms can be dirty or old but the bathroom was really clean and didnt look old and mouldy etc.
Staff were friendly and helpful however the staff member who barged into the room(after knocking) at 9pm at night to do a head count or something (he didn't clearly explain) was a bit random and rude as he didn't even ask if he cOuld enter considering it was a female dorm.

But overall really happy with the stay, definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2011
USAH, General Manager at USA Hostels Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

We're glad you liked the hostel overall and want to apologize for the staff intrusion. Most likely there was confusion as to how many guests had been checked into the room and had to do a count, however, he should have paused a moment to make sure everyone was aware he was coming in. We'll remind the staff to be more cautious.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

This is my favourite hostel i've ever stayed in! I definately reccomend it. It's location is perfect, its just off Hollywood Boulevard and just minutes walk from some of Hollywood's biggest tourist attractions. The staff were all lovely and helpful. You must show your room key to reception staff every time you want to enter the hostel and they will unlock the door for you, this is great security and deff makes you feel safer (especially as there is a YMCA opposite and a lot of homeless people hanging around). There is music played in the hallways which was different and fun! It never kept me awake at night which was good. You can have free pancakes for breakfast which was nice. I stayed in a room for 8 people (4 sets of bunk beds). It was spotless. My bed was comfy, the linen clean, the bathroom clean. The privacy shields on each bunk bed is such a good idea! It gives you a bit of privacy for your head and has a shelf, outlet and light, perfect! There are lockers with outlets in them so you can charge your ipod etc in them safely. The rooms were cleaned every day and food is banned in the rooms. The common room is a lot of fun with big comfy couches, wide screen tv, a bar and its very own beer pong table! I had a great night in there playing beer pong with complete strangers set up by staff member kevin. Such a good time! There are also quiet times between 11pm and 8am i think it was. There are organised day trips at reception that you can add your name too. They were great fun and a great way to meet the other people staying in your hostel. This place has a great, fun vibe. I met some amazing people and found this place to be amazing. I'll definately be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends