“Awesome, but very loud.”

USA Hostels Hollywood
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
“Awesome, but very loud.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Loved the lounge room activities, loved the city walk.
Don't expect this to be a quiet place. And don't expect too much glamour in Hollywood.
In the reviews I am reading things about cold showers? Ours was perfect. After travelling a lot in Australia, it is very convenient that the American dorms in this hostel were blessed with a private bathroom!!!!!
Staff was a bit strange sometimes.
But anyways...... enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sarah K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights with a couple of friends whilst travelling across USA. The hostel is in a great Hollywood location, just off Hollywood Boulevard. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm which was very clean and spacious. The bunks are the best I've slept in throughout my travels. They have a panel which goes up to give you some privacy and it covers you're head and face. It has a shelf and sockets as well as a night light which was handy for reading. Wifi in here is also free. The bathroom is cleaned every day and it is one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in.

There is a bar which sells cheap corona and punch and they have comedy nights every week in the bar/lounge area. They also put on $6 all you can eat bbq and spaghetti and meatball dinners a few times a week. There is always something to do each day that the hostel has arranged and it is always reasonably priced. There are good nightclubs located nearby and the hostel puts on bar crawl nights which usually guarantees entry into the clubs. The only thing about being close to the clubs is you can hear the music into the night. It may just have been where my room was situated though so it could just be your luck.

I didn't do any of the studio tours or them park visits so for me I got quite bored in Hollywood but if you use your time here and do something each day you won't get bored. I wish I had done more or spent more time staying at Venice Beach.

I have recommended this hostel to friends though and would stay again if I was to go back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank hammer88
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed in the private room just above the stairs, very very noisy couldn't sleep at all, to make matters worse the bed was really uncomfortable and sounded like a tarpolin. Our bathroom was dirty looking as though not cleaned at all AND WE HAD NO HOT WATER, when asked why we got no answer... For almost $100 a night some hot water isn't too much to ask....

The only good thing I can say is the security to get into the complex and the location apart from that ... Nothing at all, would definitely recommend STAY ELSEWHERE!!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Ilovetravellingxo
USAH, General Manager at USA Hostels Hollywood, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and had cold water in the shower in this private room. The manager has been contacted to look into this immediately and we've sent you a private message asking you to identify your dates of stay so we can check what happened with maintenance notification. Regarding the cleanliness of your room. We have professional housekeepers who clean the hostel daily. However, we allow guests in our private rooms their privacy and only clean the room after their arrival if they put a 'clean my room' sign on the door. Many of our guests in privates prefer we do not enter during their stay and we try to respect that. We hope you respond to our private inquiry so we can try to fix things. thank you for your feedback.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

The shower was freezing cold, we asked about it and they said they would have a staff member come and check it, No one ever came.
We chose to stay here because of the location, however we wish we had put out the money and stayed in a hotel.
This was an awful place to stay, it was dirty and falling apart.
The rooms are not even big enough to fit one suitcase in, let alone two.
I would never recommend anyone to stay here and I never will again myself.

• Stayed January 2012
We're sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and had a cold shower. We regularly poll guests about the warmth of the showers in our departure surveys and get really high marks in this area so clearly something went wrong and we will review this to fix the problem. We're also surprised that you feel the place is 'falling apart' as we completed a major renovation to the rooms and the lounge just last year and installed a new reception area 2 years ago. Our rooms all feature 'privacy pods' that provide screening from roommates, ambient noise and light and have a shelf, reading lamp and outlet. This newest amenity has received rave reviews and we hold a 90% rating on Hostelworld. Unfortunately, however, sometimes a stay just doesn't go right for a guest and that we regret. We wish you happier travels.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

STAY HERE! Situated in the heart of Hollywood; only a short walk from the metro station, 2 blocks from the greyhound station and around the corner from Hollywood Blvd! On arrival you're made to feel welcomed and if your room's available early, they'll check you. This was my 3rd time here and they have upgraded all the facilities; the rooms and bathrooms are very clean, bunks have reading lamps + power points + a little shelf and large in room lockers. The staff are uber friendly and informative.

Room Tip: All rooms run off the main corridor, therefore on weekends it has a pretty good party atmosphere, my...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Burkina Faso
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

In a nutshell - for the price (or even for a couple of dollars more), you'd be better off staying in a budget hotel, or better yet, skipping LA altogether!

In detail... if you want to stay in a dorm this is probably a good place for you - though I did not see what the quality of the dorms were like so can't comment there. The private room that my friend and I shared was approximately $100 per night, which I thought was very overpriced for what we got. The room was tiny, with the shower in the middle of the room. If staying with friends, this make it a little awkward. The bunk beds were cheap and creaked with every movement, and we needed to use earplugs to avoid noise from the street and the neighbouring rooms. For the same price you could probably get a room in a Motel 6 or something, which at least would have the shower in a separate room.

Wi-fi access in the room was intermittent at best, and only seemed to work in the common areas. Service seemed to depend on who was working, but I did appreciate the free printer in the lobby - very useful for printing maps.

Location is good - walking distance to the main Hollywood sights and some nice restaurants, from famous places like Mel's Drive-In, to places like the nice family-run Mexican place that the hostel recommended in their brochure - unfortunately the name escapes me. Though if you really want to see LA, you need a car. Everything is very spread out and public transport is limited. To get to Disneyland, for example, by public transport is painful - it took hours. The hostel arranged tours to famous sites like the Hollywood Sign but I wasn't really interested. If you have a car, you can park for free on the street between certain times. There is certainly no shortage of parking spots around, and even paid spots are cheap (since everyone in LA has to have at least one car). Driving in LA was not scary at all, even on the huge multi-lane highways.

If you've never been to LA, I would personally advise against it - go to San Francisco instead, at least it has some character! Hollywood feels very seedy and is not nearly as glamorous as the movies make it out to be (though, Pretty Woman did depict it pretty well - full of hookers). The city itself feels very artificial and concrete - like a giant, sprawling suburb. Though if you do decide to stay here, make sure you visit Ameoba Music nearby, and In 'n' Out burger, which is a West Coast institution. Also, drive up to Mulholland Drive for a great view.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the private rooms - stay in a budget hotel instead.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank hellofish
Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I travelled here early Dec with a friend of mine. We stayed in an 8 bed mixed room. You really stay here for the location. It's situated on a street right between Hollywood blvd and Sunset. Only about a 5 minute walk to the Chinese Theatre. Quite noisy at night but when you're in your rooms you hardly can hear everyone outside. You have like a little light and socket by your bed which is really convenient for when everyone is asleep.

Would really reccomend it.

• Stayed December 2011