“Awesome modern hostel with super staff”

USA Hostels Hollywood
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

The staff at this hostel are wonderful. So friendly and helpful, and there seems to be loads of them everywhere always working hard.

The hostel has a great front patio, with comfy seating and parasols, perfect for chilling out and the barbecue.

On alternate evenings they do either all you can eat dinner in the kitchen (curry, pasta) or a barbecue outside for $6. Pretty good value! There's a free breakfast everyday, with make your own pancakes, toast and fruit.

Very informative front desk, on arrival you're given a map with places to see/eat in the area.

Good wifi connection

The hostel runs several day trips and walking tours, Beverly Hills, Runyon canyon, shuttle to Santa Monica and venice beach, pub crawls in the evenings.

Only downside is the bathrooms are always busy, because there is just 1 per dorm room plus one in the lobby and one in the common room.

Also there's only one computer terminal which doesn't have a USB port.

Great stay and met some lovely people, although wouldn't stay again probably as Hollywood is NOT the place to be in LA, it's pretty boring. Stay in Venice or Santa Monica!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bogisz

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This spot is great if you want access to Hollywood. Kitchen lacks size. For the amount of people it holds. Could use a bigger kitchen. Other than that the beds are great. Tons of power sources. Private bathrooms. Recommended stay for Hollywood fans. Also theres a hostel shuttle. But id recommend the Amtrak if travelling up the Pacific coast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank demolitionrob
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Staff greeted us as soon as we walked in which was a nice surprise after a very long flight from Fiji. Our room was of a great standard, super clean and the breakfast in the morning was fab! The location for Hollywood boulevard was perfect! They offer plenty of day trips too for a small price of even free sometimes! Would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

RUDE! We got there and the staff didn't acknowledge us whatsoever.We asked for the room key and the lady said WHATEVER!!! Finally they gave us the key and we went to the room.When we got to the room the door was draughty and the bathroom was filthy.We had a sleepless night and the beds were uncomfortable.I would NOT stay here again EVER!!! I am used to hotel standards so this might be a little extreme.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Pretty cool hostel. huge kitchen with everything you could need to cook, juice and coffee machines (it closes at night which sucks for drinking water when you come home drunk, but may have benefits such as limiting access to knives for the same people). Breakfast is make-your-own-pancakes which is cool, free (horrible?) coffee and tea (not horrible because tea is tea). The rooms are big and all of them (maybe? at least mine) had an ensuite bathroom. Each bed has a shelf with chargers beside your bed, and a locker which can fit your big bag. The hostel is high-security showing your card on the way in. Cool porch out front, and a huge lounge and games room upstairs (TVs, etc) - was here over the superbowl weekend and the hostel made a big party in this room with FREE BEERS (the major incentive probably for the crowd of international people who had no idea what was going on in the football game). That was cool. They have a shuttle service (paid but way better than LA's non-existent public transport) between other hostels, such as one in venice beach and santa monica, as well as the aiport (SUPER HANDY) - the guy who runs this I believe is from Uruguay and was an amazing dude to talk to.
The location is good if you want to stay in the middle of in-your-face commercial bulls**t that is hollywood boulevard, but of course this is a necessity to see in LA. Close to an awesome bar (the Piano bar) and lots of tour companies where you can get a crazy person to drive you around with no seatbelts or a roof in the van, telling you that Britney spears used to live in some house which she really didn't. The hostel was modern and clean except for the French guy sleeping below me's feet (not related to the hostel, although they helped to encourage the shower). Would recommend, but maybe split your time in LA between here and other areas especially Santa Monica and Venice Beach if you want more of the beach feel

There is a YMCA gym right around the corner which is cool

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cooperpk
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed in this hostel for four days. The rooms were pretty nice but our bathroom was really dirty. The location is great for the walk of fame but there is not much to do in the area. L.A is so spread out that it takes forever to get anywhere. I've also been to the hostel in Santa Monica and that had a much nicer location with a lot more to do and see.
The staff was not that friendly. Don't get me wrong, some of them were but for example we had a tour guide that was just terrible. He seemed hungover and barely said a word. If he had just told me which bus to take that would have saved me 6 dollars.
The absolute worst thing about my stay here was at my last morning in the hostel I actually got yelled at by a staffmember. At check in they say breakfast is served at 6 and I had an early flight so that would just work out. When I asked about breakfast at 6 he told me he was setting it up. I waited a little and someone else came in also expecting breakfast at 6 o clock. Since I had only 5 minutes left I asked the guy if maybe he could just grab a bagel for me, and the guy just went off at me! It was horrible and I did not get the fuss over a bagel. Even if you were mate serving breakfast is that such a hassle? At that point I just decided to leave the hostel and that I would not be coming back here ever again. People like that have a horrible influence on your overal experience. I know a hostel is not a hotel but I don't think n expectations are high when I don't want to be yelled at by staff.
On my next stay I will be going to Hosteling International.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Great hostel awesome centeral location walking distance to the walk of fame and can see the Hollywood sign from the windows! They offer great range of tours and services available and helpful staff will stay again :)

• Stayed: April 2014